Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For guys running Wilwood, Brembo (RS), and other Aftermarket calipers and big brake kits, does this limit your pad options? Or can you still get just about any pad from popular manufacturers like EBC, Hawk, Wagner, etc, etc? Or are you stuck with the caliper manufacturers pads? Seriously eyeballing that Wilwood 14" set up. I know it comes with good pads but was thinking about the future.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Willwood has a bunch of options, RS probably will to given they are Brembo, aftermarket will usually make some. The caliper is probably used in multiple applications so chances are good. I know past Brembo products Hawk made a large selection of pads...

·
Registered
414 Posts
For guys running Wilwood, Brembo (RS), and other Aftermarket calipers and big brake kits, does this limit your pad options? Or can you still get just about any pad from popular manufacturers like EBC, Hawk, Wagner, etc, etc? Or are you stuck with the caliper manufacturers pads? Seriously eyeballing that Wilwood 14" set up. I know it comes with good pads but was thinking about the future.
wilwood for example has several compound from street to track and everything in between with several stages to choose from.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, I didn't mean pad options from the same manufacturer as the caliper, I meant options from other pad manufacturers...in other words, does EBC have various options (redstuff, greenstuff, etc) for the Wilwood calipers (as an example). I sent EBC an email, just thought I'd see if you guys knew any info while waiting for a reply.
@mike...Todd has PM's from me!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Wilwood, brembo etc, use a standard pad backing shape. Meaning, anyone with those measurements can make a compatible pad, and many/most do. Just because you buy a aftermaret caliper doesn't mean you're stuck with those manufacturer's pads.

However, if you do buy some off brand, generic, made in Taiwan brake kit, as I've seen in one case peddled here by a vendor, you may be stuck with their pads, since no one in the aftermarket want to support such a small volume product. ISC is one of those brands, but there are a few others too that fit into this category that do have a Focus application. Be warned, better yet, STAY AWAY. I don't care how damn red it is, or if it's got 16 pistons, or drilled with the pecker of a rhinoceros. Do not pass go.

All you need to ask the brake capiper manufacturer what is their pad shape for that caliper, and then you can search to your hearts content.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For the RS brakes expect more options coming out this summer. Carbotech are the only ones I know making pads at the moment and I've heard OEM are a bit back ordered.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have been told but have not confirmed that I found you call and talk to Carbotech, you can send them a pad and they will put whatever compound you want on them.
Yeah most race pad manufacturers can do this but it aint cheap and only worth it if you track your car and are dead set on a specific compound.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sorry guys, I didn't mean pad options from the same manufacturer as the caliper, I meant options from other pad manufacturers...in other words, does EBC have various options (redstuff, greenstuff, etc) for the Wilwood calipers (as an example). I sent EBC an email, just thought I'd see if you guys knew any info while waiting for a reply.
@mike...Todd has PM's from me!!
Ya I have the TCE/Wilwood FNSL6 kit with the Volvo S80 rotors and run the wilwood street pads that came with it and they seem fine for normal use and I have a second set of rotors and DTC-60's for the track. Hawk certainly has a range of options in the right pad shape. The only trick with the Wilwood kit is that N is FNSL6 is for narrow and so we have to run the 16mm pads instead of the 20mm pads so you have to watch out for that. The backing plate is the same, only difference is how much pad material is on there. Anyone know if you can just machine away (Bridgeport mill) the extra material and be ok? Pads are usually the same price either way, but you may be able to squeeze in 17mm or so to get a little extra life.

·
Registered
644 Posts
We're talking 7420 and 7416 pad plates. Most suppliers have the same compounds in both thickness.

Milling the 20s down won't work well as it will eat up end mills...

Reactions: danmad32
1 - 12 of 12 Posts