Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was driving around today in my focus and it randomly stalled out. I was having trouble keeping it on and driving but I was finally able to pull over to the side. I got it towed home and connected an obd2 it says I have a p2196. I don’t have much experience fixing cars, so if anyone can point me to the right direction it would be appreciated. Right now I am thinking it might be the purge valve or a vacuum leak.
Portable communications device Communication Device Mobile phone Telephony Gadget

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,920 Posts
Need some info, please....

How old is the vehicle, mileage on it, any mods and if tuned, by whom? Have you ever changed the purge valve? Any changes that you made to the car recently which preceded the code? How old are the plugs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need some info, please....

How old is the vehicle, mileage on it, any mods and if tuned, by whom? Have you ever changed the purge valve? Any changes that you made to the car recently which preceded the code? How old are the plugs?
It’s a 2016 ST3 with 153k miles it’s tuned by edge auto sports. As far as I know it has the factory purge valve . I just got the car back about 1 week ago from the mechanic for a new clutch. The plugs are fairly new so I don’t think it’s the plugs.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
P2196 is indicating a lack of switching (showing constantly rich)

What are the other codes? (If any)
This is usually an indication of either a failure on the O2 sensor or as a symptom of another issue.

We need more information before we can help.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
"I just got the car back about 1 week ago from the mechanic for a new clutch."

You need to check the wiring isn't damaged or the O2 sensor connector is fully seated.

Reactions: rob99rt and JonnyP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I just got the car back about 1 week ago from the mechanic for a new clutch."

You need to check the wiring isn't damaged or the O2 sensor connector is fully seated.
The only other code that I am getting is a p0420 low catalyst system efficiency ,also just making sure the o2 sensor that I should be checking is the upstream one

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
The only other code that I am getting is a p0420 low catalyst system efficiency ,also just making sure the o2 sensor that I should be checking is the upstream one
What modifications do you have?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
cpe catted downpipe, turbo back exhaust , cold air intake, cobb front motor mount , NGK one step colder plugs , spec stage 2 clutch
Double check both sensors.
Wideband O2 sensors are also sensitive to shock and can be damaged easily.

I own a 2017 that has just now hit 50K so I'm going to say regardless you need to seriously consider replacing both sensors as a matter of maintenance at 153K

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Double check both sensors.
Wideband O2 sensors are also sensitive to shock and can be damaged easily.

I own a 2017 that has just now hit 50K so I'm going to say regardless you need to seriously consider replacing both sensors as a matter of maintenance at 153K
I will checking them tomorrow morning, and how would I be able to tell if it’s broken .

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
I will checking them tomorrow morning, and how would I be able to tell if it’s broken .
Check the connectors and wires first.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
I checked the top o2 sensor connected and found that it had quite a bit of water right on the connector due to the cowl being installed incorrectly , could this be it ?
Disconnect them and make sure they are dry and clean. Then reseat the connector.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried that and it was still acting weird , I went ahead and changed out the o2 sensor and it’s running perfect now thanks for the help !!
Disconnect them and make sure they are dry and clean. Then reseat the connector.
Actually I was wrong I just took the car to the gas station and filled up my tank , when I go to start it up it didn’t start ………. F*****ing purge valve

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,960 Posts
Actually I was wrong I just took the car to the gas station and filled up my tank , when I go to start it up it didn’t start ………. F*****ing purge valve
The purge valve is an easy fix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts