Ford Focus ST Forum banner

P1450 FORD Unable to Bleed Up Bleed Fuel Tank Vacuum

91K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Hathoway 
#1 ·
Anyone else have this issue pop up? I have this in combination with a weird idle and in the cooler morning hours that idle tends to end up in my car killing itself repeatedly. I'm currently running a Panda Tune from probably close to two years ago but I ran the stock tune for a few weeks and I believe it was still throwing the code and idle issues. I don't know what to look for specifically with our motor since I can't find anyone else on our platform that seems to have this issue but I will be taking advice from other platforms and doing my best. If you have any advice I'm all ears.

P1450 FORD Unable to Bleed Up Bleed Fuel Tank Vacuum.

#4 ·
so i just ran into this last week. my buddy owns a shop so i talked to him about it and apparently because we have the capless gas tanks the flap can get shifty sometimes. So what he found out is that if you spray the flap with WD40 and then get a long funnel and pretty much rape the gas tank opening with it grease up the flap so it closes properly, and if that fixes the issue then you should be ok.

i tried this, cleared the code and haven't had the CEL again yet so im hoping that was the problem.

#5 ·
There should be a properly sized fill funnel supplied with the car, in the foam inserts around the spare tire.

Mark

#6 ·
so it t urns out the capless tank trick didnt work, ended up replacing the Solenoid Valve on friday and today on the way to work my CEL comes back on and my engine shut off twice when coming to a stop. Back to researching ugh...

seems like my other two options could be a bad vapor can or purge valve?

#7 ·
any luck fixing this issue... its an every other day issue for me and its annoying AF

#11 ·
P1450 I had the same issue this week. I noticed rough idle and not wanting to keep running when stopped. I went on down the road and pushed in the clutch only to have it die on the road. It restarted and I was able to keep revs up. I parked, restarted and it seemed to quit but with CEL light on. It was indeed the purge valve but should still be covered by warranty for now. If it won't idle, check the purge valve. Cheap fix. Hope this helps.

#12 ·
Having this looked into tomorrow. It sounds like its most likely that purge valve attached to the hose assembly. Is that located in the engine compartment or near the fuel tank?

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, I'm having the same issue with my Ford Focus 2002 SE wagon, ZETEC engine DOHC.
It presents several fault codes:
  • P1506
  • P0172
  • P1450
There are some physical symptoms, such as:
In the morning, or at any time, when the engine is cold, it doesn’t start very well, and when it does I have to press the accelerator a bit, or it will turn off again, you can hear the engine going up in revolutions little by little the first 8 seconds or so, until stabilizes at certain rpm.
During the day, when I make a stop on a traffic signal, if I press to strong the speed pedal, the rpm goes down instead of accelerate, and I have to get it back to normal or the car shut off.
Every time I go to the gas station I’ve to fill the tank very slowly, or it will spill out the gas even when the tank is empty.

If I fuel the tank to full capacity, 2 bad things happens: immediately the engine goes bad and it seems that the fuel is pumping interrupted, it will shut off if I don’t press the accelerator, this is annoying, since it takes me some time just to go out of the gas station.

The other bad thing is that for about 2 days you can smell the gas inside of the car, it’s a very dense odor, as if there is a leakage. I made to measure the fuel pressure and it’s 3 bar.
Air filter is new.

I know some of the vacuum hose need to be replaced since they are old and too soft, and could be doing a bad job keeping the vacuum, I’ll do that.

I’ve asked the opinion of 2 mechanics and they gave me these suggestions:
  1. Replace the fuel pump (not only the pump, but all the container)
  2. Replace the canister and several valves on it
  3. Replace both oxygen sensors.
I will gladly do that, but I want to measure twice and cut once, so I need to be sure before starting to spend money in repairs.

I would appreciate your help,
Thanks!

#15 ·
i just found this fault code logged in through my access port. I read through this thread and lubed up the funnel adapter. I didnt have wd40 on me at the time, but I had some liquid krytox lube. Its meant for lubing sliding components of things like interior lid hinges. Its thick and tacky so Im hoping it would reach and lube that filler neck flap. As I was "raping" it, I could tell the filler neck flap was opening and closing a bit smoother. Before I did all this I tried several times to clear the code but would come back on immediately. After lubing up the filler neck, the neck now functions smoother and the fault code went away. I actually noticed the driveability improved. This fault code had to have just come on recently and I should have checked it sooner as I did notice slight differences in idle, coming to a stop, and braking vacuum. After a short test drive fault code has not returned.
For you guys using wd40 and only working temporarily, maybe try something like what I used, maybe it needs something that will stay on the sliding parts longer. I will update if this doesnt work. Im still under factory warranty so if it comes back its going to the dealer. Im hoping my 3 minute fix can save me the hassle of taking it to a dealer though.

#16 ·
Would this have anything to do with the recall? Is it the same purge valve?

#22 ·
So here's the W/O from today which resolved the issue (as already anticipated):
Text Paper Document Paper product Font

I'd like to know more about the additional PCM update they performed alongside replacing P/N BV6Z-9D289-E if anyone can shed light on this:
Text Font Room Parallel Paper

Curious as to whether is only applies to 13-14 MYs based upon your comment @Fordfixer2...

Reason I ask is eventually I'd like to put the FRPP tune back on and I'm hypothesizing this may cause yet another issue...

#23 · (Edited)
So here's the W/O from today which resolved the issue (as already anticipated):
View attachment 354191

I'd like to know more about the additional PCM update they performed alongside replacing P/N BV6Z-9D289-E if anyone can shed light on this:
View attachment 354193

Curious as to whether is only applies to 13-14 MYs based upon your comment @Fordfixer2...

Reason I ask is eventually I'd like to put the FRPP tune back on and I'm hypothesizing this may cause yet another issue...
FRPP has a revised tune available for download that covers the recall update, at least for my model year which is a 17". I think the old procal units were still not ready for the update, but that may have changed. I would call Ford Racing with your concern and post the response.

Ive read the Ford reflash was just returning to 2016 year strategies or something to that effect but I cannot confirm that is the case. You've prolly read the same stuff I have in the forms.

#26 ·
To clarify, the W/O w/ 'warranty' shown in the amount column was performed @ 80k, whereas the other was performed @82k out of pocket.

I'm curious what actually was 'performed' @ 80k, as I feel I should be reimbursed under 18S32 recall through Ford. The 'fix' (which ultimately did not address the presented symptoms of the recalled part #) was to confirm there was no code present the way I'm reading it.

#29 ·
It is hard to say what was in that calibration update they did but if I was a betting man it had nothing to do with the recall. Ford is always coming out with new updates for one thing or another. That reflash could have been an old calibration update.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCMN-18V735-7348.pdf
In my opinion they owe you your money back until they get the latest program for your car.

#28 ·
#30 · (Edited)
My service adviser 100% confirmed it had to do with the installation of BV6Z-9D289-E, as he was going to have the tech perform the PCM update first & send me on my way with said part in hand if I wanted to install it myself at home. I declined & had his master tech do it, as I was planning to fight Ford corporate on this all the way and wanted indisputable proof they need to remedy this per 18S32 (now REV2 I guess???...):
Text Font Pink Line Magenta

I had the first notice from October completed @ 80k, and have now been denied coverage @ 82k when returning for a second time with a real life failure of the purge valve indicated via the DTC code this thread is all about! I want my money Ford! Did not receive a new mailer yet for 'round 2' btw...supposedly mailed out on 1/7/19.

EDIT: Just looked back at when 'round 1' was performed..drum roll...they closed the W/O out on 12/14/18! HA! Hoping this is a trivial mix up now that I found this. Also appears that the PCM update must be performed a second time ONLY FOR 13-14 MY STs who've been serviced twice, which makes sense for my case seeing two distinct PCM services.

This document is exactly what I was after so thank you kindly sir! Killed two birds with one stone, as now I know it's in writing that FRP will have a fix here in the coming months for those of us who are 12-14 MYs with handheld ProCals. More importantly that I'm not crazy and should be entitled to reimbursement for this work.

I've got a bit more patience before I'll start the game of chasing a refund from FRP. They've honestly always been great when I have a question or concern.

#32 ·
UPDATE: Called Ford corporate last week to explain the denial of 18S32, supplement #1 through my servicing dealer. They seemed to understand my dilemma & assigned me a case #. Dropped the 18S32 supplement #1 letter off along with my receipts this past Saturday. Got a call this morning from the dealer... even with a case # in hand & clear proof Ford should be covering this under recall, they again told the dealer to go pound sand. Luckily, my dealer is fantastic & has decided to reimburse me out of their own pocket.

Very disappointed that Ford is washing their hands of this BS & passing the hardship to their loyal customers :doh: Wonder what @FordService has for an excuse if they care to chime in???

#36 ·
P1450 (excessive vacuum) can be caused by a purge valve failure but more commonly caused by a canister vent solenoid that has failed or stuck closed. If the purge valve fails and is left as such liquid fuel can contaminate the canister.

If the vacuum is left in an excessive state for too long (especially if the CVS is stuck closed) that severe damage to the fuel tank will occur.

#37 · (Edited)
P1450 (excessive vacuum) can be caused by a purge valve failure but more commonly caused by a canister vent solenoid that has failed or stuck closed. If the purge valve fails and is left as such liquid fuel can contaminate the canister.

If the vacuum is left in an excessive state for too long (especially if the CVS is stuck closed) that severe damage to the fuel tank will occur.
Concise! I like that. Having this issue with mine as well, about 65,585 miles on my 2016 ST. Hoping changing these parts will help, I'll check the fuel cap door as well. I do live in an insanely humid environment and get car washes at a local place when I can so I'm not super surprised if the cap doesn't open easily.

Edit: Odd, the gas cap cover was damn hard to push in. I hadn't tried it other than when pumping gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.