Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done 54k miles and have come to the conclusion that CP-E's intake is causing the P04DB CEL to display on my 17' Focus.

With the car mapped or stock and the CP-E CAI installed the P04DB CEL displays randomly after 1-5k miles. Reinstalling the stock intake clears the CEL in about 30 miles.

Anyone have any solutions to fixing this myself as CP-E is most likely shutdown and not able to process warranties at the moment?
I'm thinking that sealing the CNC-lathed port better may remedy the issue?

IMG_6426.jpeg IMG_0221.jpeg IMG_0270.jpeg IMG_0273.jpeg IMG_0274.jpeg

·
Administrator
12,210 Posts
I've done 55k miles and have come to the conclusion that CP-E's intake is causing the P04DB CEL to display on my 17' Focus.

With the car mapped or stock and the CP-E CAI installed the P04DB CEL displays randomly after 1-5k miles. Reinstalling the stock intake clears the CEL in about 30 miles.

Anyone have any solutions to fixing this myself as CP-E is most likely shutdown and not able to process warranties at the moment?
I'm thinking that sealing the CNC-lathed port better may remedy the issue?

View attachment 378408 View attachment 378409 View attachment 378410 View attachment 378411 View attachment 378412

Thats interesting. I guess 15 plus st's have a sensor on that tube. 13+14 just have a tube.

Well, i'd completely remove the oem pcv tube, then reinstall it. Never seen this be an intake problem before, but who knows.

I believe CP-e is open, but you dont really have a product defect. That connection end looks fine. Are you pressing it on hard enough to lock it? Try cleaning that OEM hose end, it looks a little beat up/dirty.

This is a weird one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats interesting. I guess 15 plus st's have a sensor on that tube. 13+14 just have a tube.

Well, i'd completely remove the oem pcv tube, then reinstall it. Never seen this be an intake problem before, but who knows.

I believe CP-e is open, but you dont really have a product defect. That connection end looks fine. Are you pressing it on hard enough to lock it? Try cleaning that OEM hose end, it looks a little beat up/dirty.

This is a weird one.
Thanks for the quick reply. I've previously removed the pcv tube, cleaned and reseated it. It's also been pressed fully and locked correctly (There is however a slight wiggle after it's seated). As for the clip being damaged it's on the outer end and not where it grabs so I don't think it's an issue. I purchased the intake in Oct 17' and am wondering if the design of the port has changed since it's release.

Also make sure your electrical connector is properly seated for the sensor.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I've checked and it's clipped properly.

At 54,145 miles I installed the stock intake and the CEL cleared itself (That would make me think my pcv tube is functioning correctly). A few days ago at 54,652 miles I reinstalled CP-E intake and the CEL hasn't shown back up at 54,742 miles. I will keep this topic updated as sometimes it takes 5k miles or so for it too reappear.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I installed a Injen CAI about 1-1/2 years ago in my ‘17 ST. I have the port your talking about. I think it’s to allow filtered air into the top of the engine crank case at the valve cover to be drawn threw to the PCV venting the crank area. I have been throwing that code for a couple months but it doesn’t always light the CEL. Didn’t get this issue when I installed the CAI only after I cleaned the valves two months ago. I’ve had the intake off two times and can find no issue. Might mess with the CAI this weekend. A quick visual and feel inspection tells me that hose and sensor are hooked up and installed correctly. IDK?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed a Injen CAI about 1-1/2 years ago in my ‘17 ST. I have the port your talking about. I think it’s to allow filtered air into the top of the engine crank case at the valve cover to be drawn threw to the PCV venting the crank area. I have been throwing that code for a couple months but it doesn’t always light the CEL. Didn’t get this issue when I installed the CAI only after I cleaned the valves two months ago. I’ve had the intake off two times and can find no issue. Might mess with the CAI this weekend. A quick visual and feel inspection tells me that hose and sensor are hooked up and installed correctly. IDK?
OTS map and if so what stage?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Currently at 58,350 miles.

Just completed and oil chang and cleaned/oiled my SynoilD filter. I haven’t touched anything on the intake since the start of this thread and the CEL went away on the 2nd trip after the maintenance.

Can the car be that sensitive to how much air is being pulled through the filter? I’m going to keep watching this to see if it correlates with mileage after cleaning the filter.

I’ve always cleaned and oiled no more than 30k miles.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Currently at 58,350 miles.

Just completed and oil chang and cleaned/oiled my SynoilD filter. I haven’t touched anything on the intake since the start of this thread and the CEL went away on the 2nd trip after the maintenance.

Can the car be that sensitive to how much air is being pulled through the filter? I’m going to keep watching this to see if it correlates with mileage after cleaning the filter.

I’ve always cleaned and oiled no more than 30k miles.
I’ve had that CEL come in and go off it’s self before I cleared it out. Still shows up in the history logs though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve had that CEL come in and go off it’s self before I cleared it out. Still shows up in the history logs though.

Yeah same. It looks like it goes on/off randomly after so many miles. I will be looking into a custom tune soon and see if this is still a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,840 Posts
So the sensor itself is known as a hall effect sensor. It operates exactly like the Crankshaft pick up or an ABS sensor does, except that instead of using a magnetic pulse to detect changes in speed the CVM (crankcase ventilation monitor) detects a disconnected line.

A 5 VDC signal is sent to the sensor from the PCM and back to the as an indicator that the crankcase ventilation system is intact. Whenever the vent tube is disconnected from the factory intake the sensor's magnetic field is disrupted and code P04DB is set.

P04DB shows that the sensor's voltage back to the PCM is now below 2.5 VDC and is considered disconnected from the factory intake. I am not 100% certain here what the factory intake nipple (hehe, he said nipple) is made of but I'm fairly certain that it holds the magnetic charge the sensor is looking for. Positive or Negative depending on if the ford hall effect sensor is bipolar or unipolar in design.

Is your new intake steel or aluminum?

Also here are the diagrams for the sensor in question.

Let me know if I can help.

J

Reactions: Duece McCracken
1 - 16 of 16 Posts