Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my car started throwing a P0455, large evap leak the other day. I'm out of warranty at this point, so I was trying to find out what the most common causes of this are from the community. From what I've gathered, it could be the gas cap, or maybe the purge valve off the intake, but I don't have the ability to do a smoke test, and if I have to do that, I may as well have the dealer fix it.

Can anyone suggest the most likey causes so I can replace some parts and avoid going to the dealer?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
DO you have a habit of 'topping off' the tank when you fill it?
If so, doing so can cause the evap to become fouled with fuel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DO you have a habit of 'topping off' the tank when you fill it?
If so, doing so can cause the evap to become fouled with fuel.
Yes, unfortunately I did have a habit of doing that until I discovered from some people here that it's bad to do that because it can overflow into the evap canister.

I also noticed that the pump will stop multiple times when trying to fill the car since I started getting this code.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the evap has to be replaced. it acts as a breather-valve of sorts, and if not working it would cause the fuel pump to think it's full and shut-off. Not to say the fuel station pump could be faulty either.
Is a 3rd party warranty an option?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the evap has to be replaced. it acts as a breather-valve of sorts, and if not working it would cause the fuel pump to think it's full and shut-off. Not to say the fuel station pump could be faulty either.
Is a 3rd party warranty an option?
No, I don't have a third party warranty. I usually just keep the factory warranty on all my cars and just roll the dice after that :)

I think I'm going to replace the purge valve at the intake first since it's a cheap part, and then try replacing the actual canister

I really don't think there is a leak at the gas tank because when I put the gas pump into the filler I still get the little whoosh when the pressure releases from the tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same code pop up on my 2014 focus ST and took it to the dealer and they said the issue is the Charcoal canister? Any confirmation? I find it hard to believe, but I also had my fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, vent solenoid, and etc. replaced due to a collapsed gas tank

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same code pop up on my 2014 focus ST and took it to the dealer and they said the issue is the Charcoal canister? Any confirmation? I find it hard to believe, but I also had my fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, vent solenoid, and etc. replaced due to a collapsed gas tank
It ended up being two problems. The CEL was caused by a bad Evap purge valve under the hood like I suspected and the gas tank issue was spiders in the gas tank vent. Two unrelated problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts