Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am under warranty but stationed overseas. My 2016 focus st is misfiring in cylinder 2 (302 code). I put in new plugs(gapped correctly, NGKs 1step colder first, changed to densos 5 days ago), checked coil packs (good), measured resistance on all 4 injectors( good), and performed a compression test on all cylinders (all roughly 150psi). To make sure there isn’t debris in injecter 2 I swapped with injecter 1. I just pulled another code after switching injectors and it came up once more in cylinder 2 and under 1000rpm for misfires(300 and 302 codes). No knocks, cylinders are good. That’s my current situation. I don’t know what else to do but it’s driving me nuts. I had the fuel tank recall done about 2 weeks ago, this all started about 4 days after I picked up the car.
Misfires are horrible on cold start up, much better after car is completely warm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Shane

Current Modifications:

ModificationBrand/Type
IntakeCP-E Cold Air Intake Kit with D-Flow Filter 2015-2018
ExhaustBorla Touring 2.5 Inch Cat-Back Exhaust
DownpipeACCELATEC Downpipe Stainless Steel 3 Inch w/ Catalytic Converter
IntercoolerNOT INSTALLED YET—STILL WAITING ON ARRIVAL—MISHIMOTO MMINT-FOST-13BK
Charge PipeNONE
Bypass/BOVTURBOSMART 50/50 Dual Port- TS-0231-1061
TurboSTOCK
Spark Plugs and GapDenso itv22- .026-.027
Fuel Type91 Octane / 95 RON

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Had the same issue. And it was the purge valve. 0302 and 0300 were the codes that popped first.50 bucks. The code for the purge valve took a couple weeks driving with the misfires to pop.i was about to replace injectors. May not fix yours but 50 bucks is cheaper than 400

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am under warranty but stationed overseas. My 2016 focus st is misfiring in cylinder 2 (302 code). I put in new plugs(gapped correctly, NGKs 1step colder first, changed to densos 5 days ago), checked coil packs (good), measured resistance on all 4 injectors( good), and performed a compression test on all cylinders (all roughly 150psi). To make sure there isn’t debris in injecter 2 I swapped with injecter 1. I just pulled another code after switching injectors and it came up once more in cylinder 2 and under 1000rpm for misfires(300 and 302 codes). No knocks, cylinders are good. That’s my current situation. I don’t know what else to do but it’s driving me nuts. I had the fuel tank recall done about 2 weeks ago, this all started about 4 days after I picked up the car.
Misfires are horrible on cold start up, much better after car is completely warm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Shane

Current Modifications:

ModificationBrand/Type
IntakeCP-E Cold Air Intake Kit with D-Flow Filter 2015-2018
ExhaustBorla Touring 2.5 Inch Cat-Back Exhaust
DownpipeACCELATEC Downpipe Stainless Steel 3 Inch w/ Catalytic Converter
IntercoolerNOT INSTALLED YET—STILL WAITING ON ARRIVAL—MISHIMOTO MMINT-FOST-13BK
Charge PipeNONE
Bypass/BOVTURBOSMART 50/50 Dual Port- TS-0231-1061
TurboSTOCK
Spark Plugs and GapDenso itv22- .026-.027
Fuel Type91 Octane / 95 RON
update-

27,000 miles
Year 2016.5

swapped coil packs 1 & 2 this morning on a cold start and got codes P0- 302,316, 352, 442.
Im starting to think it could be on the PCM side? I don’t know how to check the ignition coil harness with a multimeter and I also heard it isn’t the most reliable. I’m gonna try to take it to a mechanic tomorrow. Anyone else had this issue? I haven’t seen it with my hours of coming through posts.
Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the same issue. And it was the purge valve. 0302 and 0300 were the codes that popped first.50 bucks. The code for the purge valve took a couple weeks driving with the misfires to pop.i was about to replace injectors. May not fix yours but 50 bucks is cheaper than 400
It’s possible that’s the problem, I actually just had the recall fixed in the last 2 days. The Italians are a little defensive over their work so I have to be cautious with how I word that question lol. Thank you for suggesting!

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
39 Posts
Having the same issue, has anyone figure out what it is? I replaced my purge valve and also an 02 censor was bad. I’m thinking either pcm or wiring harness at this point too.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
39 Posts
I also think that there is excessive carbine build up on the intake valves. I know that the pcv runs vapors to cylinder 2 and 3. Cylinder 2 may just have a bunch of crap on the back of the valve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also think that there is excessive carbine build up on the intake valves. I know that the pcv runs vapors to cylinder 2 and 3. Cylinder 2 may just have a bunch of crap on the back of the valve.
still haven’t figured it out. I’ve been having P0442/456 CEL for the last few months ever since I got the recall on the purge valve/canister done. I replaced the purge valve again and still get it. The misfires still happen but no CEL. I also can still make it misfire pretty bad with a steady throttle at a certain rpm range. I’ve done everything I can do, leak tests, smoke tests, bore scopes etc. my valves weren’t horrible but I’m half tempted to go water meth just to clean them

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
So I have been reading through this post and wanted to ask if you wouldn't mind me throwing my hat into the ring?

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
39 Posts
Yeah mine has the same exact symptoms, I’m really thinking it’s a carbon issue. There’s a video on YouTube called eco boost carbon issue. It’s pretty interesting, but I have a feeling it’s a carbon. Do you ever notice on start up that a little bit of smoke comes out of the exhaust right on start up?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Of course, unless you’re gonna say part it out lol.
If he’s willing to help you, you should listen to what he says.

I know I’ll be listening in so I can learn.

Reactions: SSgtjrobertson

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
The purge value, while listed at a suspect failure item is in itself not the cause of this recall. The value is over-driven by the PCM. The control signal is a ground supplied by PIN 22 (white w/brown stripe) to connector C123. The power is supplied by fuse F32-10 amp (green) in the battery junction box. It shares this power with both VTC solenoids, and both O2 sensors.

Below is the required actions to be taken by the servicing dealer.

SERVICE ACTION

Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to perform the following steps:

1. Check for DTCs P0420, P1450, P0443, P0452, P0456, P0460 and/or P2196.
  2. Check for customer complaints regarding any of the following?
  3. inaccurate fuel gauge indication
  4. inaccurate DTE
  5. drivability concerns such as hesitation, rough idle, or loss of power
  6. Check for available powertrain control module (PCM) software update and reprogram the PCM using IDS Release 111.04 or higher. Some vehicles may already have the latest software.
  7. If Yes for steps #1 or #2 above:
  8. replace the CPV
  9. inspect evaporative emissions vapor canister for liquid fuel, and replace if present
  10. inspect fuel tank for signs of deformation (the allowable specification (25mm or 1inch, upward), and replace the fuel tank and fuel delivery module if present.
This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Pay special attention to step number 6. If they failed to ensure that the PCM is at the current software revision or attempted to reprogram the PCM and did so improperly you can change everything and the issue will remain.

The other possibility is that somewhere between the PCM Pin 22 and the valve connector C123 the wire has become compromised. If you have access to a digital multimeter perform a continuity test between the PCM connector (see attached diagrams) and the valve connector. It should measure as close to zero ohms as possible.

If it doesn't you may have a damaged harness. The signal being delivered from the PCM isn't a constant ground. The value is rapidly being turned on and off by a process called PWM (pluse width modulation) so depending on your meter resolution if may not be able to read the signal coming from PCM.

The low tech way is to disconnect the sensors hose connection while the engine is running. Please use extreme caution while the engine is running.

You will feel a vacuum through the connector and hear a fluttering sound.

Again engine still running disconnect the electrical connector C123 from the valve. Vacuum and fluttering should stop completely.

If it does then you can rule out the valve.

Yes dealership technicians can be lazy. If you get the run around contact Motorcraft customer service directly and discuss it directly with them.

Let's start there and see where it leads us.

Stay Safe!

J

Attachments

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
Yes carbon can also be a cause of many issues. First let's eliminate the purge value and move on from there.
After this we can cover exactly how ford determines how when a misfire triggers a CEL.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had the same code repeatedly. After 3 years, I thinking late 2018 or early 2019, Ford finally issued as TSB. Spark plugs (colder) and a software update, at no cost from dealership. No problem since. However, I'm fully stock. If you are tuned, I'm not sure if that will be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,871 Posts
The TSB about the plugs do cover the replacement of the plugs, however instructed the technician to gap the replacements to 1mm (.040") the misfires will return after the gap widens another .005 - .007 under load.
Every direct injection engine misfires, especially when cold and idling.

I was going to get thought the EVAP issues before we got into tuning.
@Sb111309 are you 100% factory tune or are you using an aftermarket tuner / monitor?

J

1 - 20 of 29 Posts