Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the code randomly while driving yesterday and then 2 more popped up p04db and p0316. I changed the coil and plugs in cyl 1 today and the problem went away. Just came back while driving back home, any ideas to what it could be? I saw that it could be possible ringland for the 4db and possibly injectors for the cyl 1. Also got oil smoke coming out of the exhaust

·
Registered
571 Posts
What year is this? Do a compression test, you may have a failed ringland. Smoking isn't a good sign too. One of your cylinders may be misfiring from the failure.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Compression was at 90 in cyl 1. Not looking great
Yeah that’s a pretty common symptom of a blown ringland, don’t run the car, you likely need new pistons. If you’re stock and have warranty left Ford will cover you.

If you’re tuned and out of warranty and the block is still good you can install (or have someone instal) something like this: https://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/products/pop-drop-engine-build-kit-for-ford-ecoboost-2-0l.html

The motor has to come out no matter what :(

Alternatively you can drop in another 2.0l Ecoboost if your block isn’t cooked or you want to be done quicker. Though these days they are becoming harder to get with low miles.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. What was your setup?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
343 Posts
Back in the day I would squirt some oil into the cylinder and the retry the compression test to help rule out a valve vs. piston issue. doesn't take a lot.
Just use enough to see if the compression builds up temporarily if it does then you know for sure.

Just a thought.

J

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that’s a pretty common symptom of a blown ringland, don’t run the car, you likely need new pistons. If you’re stock and have warranty left Ford will cover you.

If you’re tuned and out of warranty and the block is still good you can install (or have someone instal) something like this: https://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/products/pop-drop-engine-build-kit-for-ford-ecoboost-2-0l.html

The motor has to come out no matter what :(

Alternatively you can drop in another 2.0l Ecoboost if your block isn’t cooked or you want to be done quicker. Though these days they are becoming harder to get with low miles.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. What was your setup?
Full bolt on with a boomba bov And stratified tune for 93. I got the car at 60k and it just had an inter cooler on it. Currently at 90k

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back in the day I would squirt some oil into the cylinder and the retry the compression test to help rule out a valve vs. piston issue. doesn't take a lot.
Just use enough to see if the compression builds up temporarily if it does then you know for sure.

Just a thought.

J
I try that out when I can get back to the shop. I tried not running it but I had to drive a good distance to get it where I needed at the time. Didn’t have the money for a tow

·
Registered
484 Posts
Full bolt on with a boomba bov And stratified tune for 93. I got the car at 60k and it just had an inter cooler on it. Currently at 90k
Damn that’s tough man, good luck, intercooler was definitely the right move, maybe you got a bad fill of gas or something. It’s tough to say what could have gone wrong.

Was it a full custom strat tune or an off the shelf type tune with a datalog?

There’s a chance it could be something easier to fix than a piston, and if it is a piston and your block made it out alive it shouldn’t be too hard to put in the kit indicated.

And if all else fails this motor was in a lot of other cars so getting one wouldn’t be too hard.

You’re never totally screwed!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn that’s tough man, good luck, intercooler was definitely the right move, maybe you got a bad fill of gas or something. It’s tough to say what could have gone wrong.

Was it a full custom strat tune or an off the shelf type tune with a datalog?

There’s a chance it could be something easier to fix than a piston, and if it is a piston and your block made it out alive it shouldn’t be too hard to put in the kit indicated.

And if all else fails this motor was in a lot of other cars so getting one wouldn’t be too hard.

You’re never totally screwed!
A couple people mentioned bad gas as well but we’re getting into it tonight to I’ll post an update then

1 - 11 of 11 Posts