Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I have been noticing the car acting weird lately, i have been getting a p0299 code but no CEL, the car acts norm when i first start driving, then seems to fall off and some time goes in to limp mode as the boost gauge will show normal (slightly over center) for a pull then go half. i can clear the code or stop and restart the car and it goes back to normish. i have leak tested from intake to dp and retighten all the piping just to be sure, i have cleaned the boomba bov and all the sensors. these didn't change anything. i just recently installed a catless dp in the mix of trouble shooting and noticed the wastegate linkage a little loose and researching some i have found that the noise that sounds like a heat shield rattle might be the linkage loose. the sound only happens on coasting in gear. Has anyone adjusted the factory wastegate before and if so what should i look for when i check it. The car is a 16 with 92k on it with factory tune. i have owned it from day one.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,131 Posts
Do you have an Access Port? You said you're on the factory tune, so was just wondering if you had a way to view wastegate duty cycle. Guess you could look it up with torque pro and the correct PIDs/equation.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,131 Posts
No I dont have a ap at the moment. I just have a harbor freight scanner that does live data.
OK... can you see what the WG duty cycle goes to when you're getting on it hard?

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,443 Posts
P0299 under boost performance dtc. Is a triggered whenever TIP Desired, TIP Actual & MAP do not correlate with each other.

If you have tested the system for leaks (above target boost pressure) and it passes you need to look at why the turbocharger itself isn't performing as it should be.

As @rob99rt suggested you need a way to actively monitor sensors either in real time or log the output for offline review. If the PCM commands 19 PSI but the WGA (waste gate actuator), wastegate or the turbocharger's impeller shall isn't physically spinning freely then that will definitely trigger a DTC.

I would avoid screwing with the actuator as it will require a metered air source to adjust the preset properly. Without a way to adjust the PCM I would just save yourself a world of hassle, time and money by picking up a low mileage stock turbo assembly should your issue be turbo related.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,443 Posts
Start by checking all the vacuum line to the turbocharger and solenoid. Then for damage or excessive play at the actuator. Lastly pull the DP and check the wastegate valve and impeller.

J

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,443 Posts

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Welp it's the turbo. The valve has a stupid amount gap to valve seat and the shaft has play. RIP at 92k. I vac and pressure tested the actuator. it moved out and away with 7 psi but never would return to the valve seat even with a vac of 7 in of mercury. The turbo prop spun freely.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,443 Posts
Ton of stock turbochargers out there or maybe it's time for an upgrade... 😏

1 - 14 of 14 Posts