Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey FST Community:

Just went big turbo and after I installed my new tune from PMW I popped a P0246(Wastegate a high) code. I double checked all my connections on the BCS and the top valve cover solenoid and they are all correct as put out by Edgeautosport. Is this normal, or how can I fix it? Is it safe to drive like that?

Thanks,

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Have you talked to your tuner?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have called and emailed PMW with no response. Is there a certain setting the wastegate should be at?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Have called and emailed PMW with no response. Is there a certain setting the wastegate should be at?

If it was used without issue by a PO and NEVER touched you should be fine.

If it's brand new, it should come pre-loaded already but you can always double check the preload with an air compressor or high end bike pump w/ a PSI gauge.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PO says he never changed it, but I'll see if I can double check it this week. I think my annoyance is with PMW more than anything. I've had issues with them before responding to my emails in a prompt manner. I'm going on 2 weeks for my first email with no response. If this continues I'll consult Stratified. Last time I had this issue I was waiting 5 weeks for Matt to respond, now they have Troy which I figured would help that issue but it obviously has not.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
PO says he never changed it, but I'll see if I can double check it this week. I think my annoyance is with PMW more than anything. I've had issues with them before responding to my emails in a prompt manner. I'm going on 2 weeks for my first email with no response. If this continues I'll consult Stratified. Last time I had this issue I was waiting 5 weeks for Matt to respond, now they have Troy which I figured would help that issue but it obviously has not.

Maybe you'll have a better response by calling?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried that with no response. Mind you it was Friday so I will give them till Tuesday to call me back because maybe they closed early for Labor Day weekend. I just want to know is it safe to drive like this? I'm not letting it get into boost because I have no idea what it's going to do if it's saying the BCS isn't working correctly. I'm hoping it's just something they forgot to alter with the tune that has the BCS thinking it should be within (X psi to Y psi) and mine is above that range so it popped the code.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Is the CEL popped up on the dash or is it like a pending code that just shows up when you hook up your ap? I think I may have this code but i only see it when I hook up the AP. Something to do with the way my install shop installed the turbo and capping one of the oem solenoids iirc. I would try driving it and see what happens, just ease into things.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It shows on the dash. I'm gonna cap the other line and reset the code. If it comes back I'll have to baby it till PMW decides to call me/email me. Hopefully that's all it is

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It shows on the dash. I'm gonna cap the other line and reset the code. If it comes back I'll have to baby it till PMW decides to call me/email me. Hopefully that's all it is

What exactly did the boost do when you got the CEL? How high? Have any logs?

I'd say you're okay to drive with limiting boost. When I got my turbo installed, I found the installing shop installed my boost control solenoid incorrectly which caused the solenoid to get damaged. I put the stock one on (EFR turbos come with one), and was back in business. Never got any CELs though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stock BCS. I haven't gotten even past 3 psi because I'm worried about damaging something. I'm gonna have to double check everything the connector and make sure there is no damage because ZX3ST informed me that the Vac lines are completely irrelevant to the solenoid voltage output. So if I'm throwing a code it's due to the sensor connection.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like it was indeed the not the hardlines. Capped them both and still getting the code.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Looks like it was indeed the not the hardlines. Capped them both and still getting the code.

Both lines from the engine are capped? If so, that's tour problem. The line pointing towards the back of the car needs to be hooked up with a tee to the boost source to the solenoid at the turbo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had it hooked up both ways and both threw the same code.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I had it hooked up both ways and both threw the same code.

Are you sure you had the right line? Could have accidentally grabbed the line that came from the solenoid for the bpv.

Ever hear from PMW?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope I check to make sure it was the correct lines. Negative, no email/call which doesn't surprise me because as I've said before I've had problems with them before and I should have went with another tuner since my initial issue with them being unresponsive wasn't exactly ideal. Edgeautosport has been very helpful assisting me tho, so props to them for taking the time to help out. I'll get it sorted out on Friday so I have time to take voltage measurements of needed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts