Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 2013 ST3 with 55,000 on it. Just recently when my brother was driving it, the engine light came on; the code was P0236. (i haven't been driving it recently because i just had surgery on my leg). Its will smoke a little when you rev it good, and backfire like a boss after four to five revs. But just when all these symptoms seem to point to a boost leek or turbo problem, I start having other problems. Leaving home one day it popped up on the screen, "headlight fault" (i checked the headlights and they are fine). After shutting of the car and restarting it almost immediately the warning was not present. Then a couple other times it came up "engine fault" and would run so choppy that it would shake. It also has this thing with idling; once you stop at a light the idle could fluctuate down to around 500 rpm and stall. Other stupid stuff like the windows won’t automatically go up, but they will go down automatically. As for mods, they are in my signature below. I have an appt. scheduled at a dealer for the 30th but I’m losing my faith in them. For example I had a boost leak before; they replaced the turbo, ECU, and turbo solenoid before they figured out it was only a charge pipe with a hole in it. (I bought it like that) Any help would truly be appreciated.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was wondering if i should start by getting to some of the sensors and checking the wiring. Anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
2013?

After the car has been sitting overnight and before starting it in the morning, check the battery voltage with a volt-ohmmeter at the battery. If tuned, disconnect the Cobb AP after turning off the car.

If morning voltage is below 12.2V, likely your battery is tired and needs to be replaced. You can take it to an auto parts store to have them do a load test on the battery for final confirmation.

Lots of weird issues with weak batteries...

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2013?

After the car has been sitting overnight and before starting it in the morning, check the battery voltage with a volt-ohmmeter at the battery. If tuned, disconnect the Cobb AP after turning off the car.

If morning voltage is below 12.2V, likely your battery is tired and needs to be replaced. You can take it to an auto parts store to have them do a load test on the battery for final confirmation.

Lots of weird issues with weak batteries...

Hope that helps,
Mark
Thank you. My brother did get the battery tested as well as the charging system; they both check out. i totally agree with you on the battery topic though. One of our company trucks was having all sorts of weird electrical issues. We replaced the batteries and everything was fine.

Reactions: LMStone510
1 - 4 of 4 Posts