Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i installed the turbosmart wastegrate actuator. Installation was a breeze but after the first drive i noticed I wouldn't boost past 12-14 psi (returned to stock tune). I adjusted again, same issue, and then once more all the way to the front of the WGA. On that last adjustment I got the P0234 at 3/4 throttle.

What ive noticed: when i first start the car I can here the bypass valve (boomba bpv) go off then it stops going off all together.
Mods: FBO, but am not currently hooked up to the natural vacuum source (may be a problem i don't know).
Tuner device: SCT Livewire, all numbers are within range, nothing crazy.
Any advice out there would be appreciated.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,171 Posts

And

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,171 Posts
Had the factory WGA failed? Or is this just something you wanted to change? I kinda wish they would take them off the market.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something I wanted to change tbh I think you posted in my help installing thread....contemplating putting the factory back on to see if it fixes it. It honestly seems like the BPV is stuck open, but wondering if its something else

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,171 Posts
Did you measure (exactly) where the factory WGA settings was? You may be too far down this rabbit hole to turn around.

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
Yeah
Yes I did, I read on the comments the flap should be open?
A wastegate should be fully closed until boost demand is met based of wgdc. Which requires proper adjustment using a metered vacuum source.

Maybe you bit off a bit too much with this install, on a turbo thats pretty much maxed from the factory.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yea i bit way more than i could chew....pointers in the any direction would help I know with the eat crow, and im eating a fk ton right now

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
oh yea i bit way more than i could chew....pointers in the any direction would help I know with the eat crow, and im eating a fk ton right now
How exactly did you remove the oem wga, and how did you adjust the new one?

Did you get a tuning revision for the actuator?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skipping the removal of the windshield wipers and intake tube...
disconnect battery
Removal heat shield
Remove metal clamp or whatever holds the two nuts and the “flap”?
Disconnected the vac to the oem wastegate
Remove rear locking nut
Remove two bolts holding wastegate down
Slide it out

measured factory first nut to new wga
Bolted the new harness down
Bolted the wga to new harness
Slid in the pole to the hole of the metal flap
Locked rear nut
Put the clip back on
Attached vacuum source

then the heat shield ect

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
I hooked it up to the natural vac same issue
Run it without any vac/boost source and see what your spring pressure/adjustment is allowing you to peak boost in a 3rd gear pull with traction off.

Who is your tuner? What have they said about this mod? You should be using a new map to determine your boost at 100 percent WGA, then a revision to adjust it based on the new mechanical setup.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Run it without any vac/boost source and see what your spring pressure/adjustment is allowing you to peak boost in a 3rd gear pull with traction off.

Who is your tuner? What have they said about this mod? You should be using a new map to determine your boost at 100 percent WGA, then a revision to adjust it based on the new mechanical setup.
T4, Tori at Unleashed is my tuner I let him know this morning...ill see where I end up....I had asked him about the mod and he said he can tune for it, but prior to that i had read online to use the factory set up to determine where my boost was at....

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
T4, Tori at Unleashed is my tuner I let him know this morning...ill see where I end up....I had asked him about the mod and he said he can tune for it, but prior to that i had read online to use the factory set up to determine where my boost was at....
If your only boosting 14 psi at 100 percent WGDC, then your mechanical adjustment is off. You'll have to get in there and tighten the rod more.

Technically for any turbo, you should be setting preload with a metered air pressure source, such as a Mighty vac PRO model. Then you see exactly what PSI your wastegate is cracking at, and can set it accordingly. The instructions to match the factory were pretty ****ty by rallysport. It'll ball park you, but you never know unless you start applying pressure to the WGA.

Torrie is great, he'll help set you straight.

Yeah, you should have talked to torrie before you installed it. Always consult your tuner on substantial mods like this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So Torrie unfked me as always quick and on the weekend...my laptop Charger is missing so I haven’t gotten my final datalog to him but the tune fixed the issue...I had to loosen the wastegate close to factory but full boost...holds the boost a tad better I’m thinking after the final datalog and a adjustment it will be good...

definitely do not recommend this mod Way more hassle than it’s worth...but didn’t want to deal with the return so I ate it

did the boost hold up better? Yes
Was it worth it? FK NO

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Yeah I fully tightened the preload on my stock wga per duece's instructions. Had my tuner adjust for it. If conditions are right I get over 25 psi. No point in that turbosmart on a stock turbo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts