Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2015 Focus ST in the shop over the weekend for some reoccuring hesitation issues. It's been happening for months now on light/partial throttle... you can feel the car hesitating, feels like a misfire, but I've never thrown a CEL. They couldn't find any problems on their end and I picked it up this morning.

Driving home for work today, cruising on the highway, the CEL comes on. Had it pulled and it shows P0128 for coolant temperature too low. My coolent temp is showing just a hair above 1/4 mark. The AGS was removed over a year ago so I can't imagine it's related to that. Plus we're in the heart of summer down here in South Carolina. My only mod is the Ford Racing tune.

Any thoughts? Could the CEL be related to the hesitation issues? Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
179 Posts
In my experience code P0128 has always been thermostat. That code is basically the car took too long to warm up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience code P0128 has always been thermostat. That code is basically the car took too long to warm up.
Wonder if it's getting stuck open. The CEL cleared today and I noticed the coolant temperatures are running higher, close to midway on the guage. It was around 1/4 mark when the CEL was on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Replace your t-stat. Contrary to most thought a majority of t-statd fail open as opposed to closed. This isn't something that's just going to go away.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
if I remember correctly you just remove the intake manifold... and it is right there... take off the line, unbolt it, bolt up the new unit and put the car back together, might have to add a little water

I am sure there has to be a youtube video or two on how to do it

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my mazda3. Obviously you can still drive it around in warmer weather. It's just going to take awhile to fully warm up. However I would not suggest running it like that for long periods of time. Engines are designed to operate at a certain temp.

Also make sure you get a good quality tstat. I got one from rockauto for my mazda and it broke 2 weeks later. The brackets that hold the spring were made of plastic and the spring would slip or break through. Try to find a tstat that is quality made, even if you have to spend a few more $$$.

Just an example of the tstat on my mazda:

Bad one with plastic tabs $18-
514-185__ra_p.jpg

Better one $40-
L336-15-170.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts