Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did my first oil change this weekend. Looked up the oil capacity in my owner's manual and it said 4.3L. I'm not versed in liters to quarts so off to google I went. That's the equivalent of 4.5XX quarts. This did not seem right to me so I looked it up here. Thank goodness I did as I would have been baffled after tossing 4.5 quarts in and seeing nothing on the dipstick. Ended up putting about 5-3/4 quarts in her and she seems happy. Why would ford not have the ST oil capacity listed in the owner's manual? That capacity has to be for the non turbo I4. Engine seems to run a tad smoother and not as loud. Did any one notice this when changing from the stock oil to their oil of choice?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
The manual is for the standard Foci. The supplement gives the corect amount at 5.7 qrts. If you use the 400FL filter it will hold 6 qrts

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
So I did my first oil change this weekend. Looked up the oil capacity in my owner's manual and it said 4.3L. I'm not versed in liters to quarts so off to google I went. That's the equivalent of 4.5XX quarts. This did not seem right to me so I looked it up here. Thank goodness I did as I would have been baffled after tossing 4.5 quarts in and seeing nothing on the dipstick. Ended up putting about 5-3/4 quarts in her and she seems happy. Why would ford not have the ST oil capacity listed in the owner's manual? That capacity has to be for the non turbo I4. Engine seems to run a tad smoother and not as loud. Did any one notice this when changing from the stock oil to their oil of choice?
The manual that you get is a basic Focus manual; there should also have been an ST supplement that gives you the ST specific stats.

Reactions: STSnail

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manual that you get is a basic Focus manual; there should also have been an ST supplement that gives you the ST specific stats.
Ill have to look closer. I did notice one about the ST, however it was about all the extra features and I didn't notice anything about fluid capacity.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your little nylon pouch that comes with the car will have the fat standard foci manual, and a little 30 pager for the ST supplement. It has all the ST specific stuff in there.

Don't ever trust Ford Service to know this though, as there have been several accounts of people getting 4 qt oil changes done at the dealer. :-X

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your little nylon pouch that comes with the car will have the fat standard foci manual, and a little 30 pager for the ST supplement. It has all the ST specific stuff in there.

Don't ever trust Ford Service to know this though, as there have been several accounts of people getting 4 qt oil changes done at the dealer. :-X
This, this, this, and this.

I always have to remind the service people that the car takes 30 weight and not 20 weight oil. Also make sure they put in the right amount. I’ve had two different ford dealers put 5-20 by mistake and I had them immediately drain and refill.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I also run the slightly larger capacity FL400S filter with a full 6 quarts of Mobil 5-30 full synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
FL400s doesn't hold enough to take 6qrts... from my findings you should only run 5.9qrts if you compare stock to FL400s you will find it isn't .3qrts more

Here is the measuring and side by side that I did to come to my conclusion

View attachment 287457

View attachment 287465

View attachment 287473

View attachment 287481

View attachment 287489
I'm cool with .1qt insurance oil if I dump 6qts in. I usually dump the last quart in half then check it periodically as I add the last half...almost always is it just at the bottom when I have a smidge left so I add the rest and it puts it at center

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have always been one to under fill ... over filling can have VERY negative impact on an engine. under fill .1 is better imo.

I doubt it is much of a problem but this napa filter is bigger and the same spec ... they are all WIX filters in the end but the pressure standards are what matters and this NAPA filters meets all the spec

Just thought I would share... in case someone wanted to run a bigger filter ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used 6 qt, how do you measure 5.7 qt? that's silly. I always put an extra 1/2 qt in my 4V in my SVT too, most people do...now I wouldn't go crazy and add an extra qt, that's where you'd be running into trouble but an extra 1/3 or 1/2 a qt is good insurance for any engine, any mechanic worth his salt will tell you the same thing.
I look at 5.7qts as 5-3/4qts and even then its a guess at what was in the bottle compared to what's left. It could actually be 5.511265qts or 5.7996585qts. 5.7qts is just easier to type and eye ball.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
it should also be noted that the listed capacity is for a dry engine like it was just built, when changing the oil, you never get 100% out and al engines are different as to how much can stay in the car after draining.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used 6 qt, how do you measure 5.7 qt? that's silly. I always put an extra 1/2 qt in my 4V in my SVT too, most people do...now I wouldn't go crazy and add an extra qt, that's where you'd be running into trouble but an extra 1/3 or 1/2 a qt is good insurance for any engine, any mechanic worth his salt will tell you the same thing.
I must not be worth my salt, because I disagree with the overfilling idea. Overfilling can lead to aeration and it never ceases to amaze me how many people think that they will outsmart the people who designed the engine by ignoring the manufacturer's specs. If an extra 1/2 quart was better, the engineers at at Ford would have specified 6.2 quarts.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Overfilling can lead to aeration

I would agree that under filling it(as long as there is enough to not starve the pickup and provide adequate cooling) is far better than over filling it to the point that the crank is spinning in it, adding resistance and robbing power, and turning it into a foamy mess. there is a reason that there is an operating range. just keep it inside that range and you will be good. If you go much over or under that range, you are just asking for problems.

it never ceases to amaze me how many people think that they will outsmart the people who designed the engine by ignoring the manufacturer's specs.
yeah, I do get a good laugh out of all the armchair engineers out there. I for one actually like to leave all the heavy engineering work to the actual engineers.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I must not be worth my salt, because I disagree with the overfilling idea. Overfilling can lead to aeration and it never ceases to amaze me how many people think that they will outsmart the people who designed the engine by ignoring the manufacturer's specs. If an extra 1/2 quart was better, the engineers at at Ford would have specified 6.2 quarts.
I would agree that under filling it(as long as there is enough to not starve the pickup and provide adequate cooling) is far better than over filling it to the point that the crank is spinning in it, adding resistance and robbing power, and turning it into a foamy mess. there is a reason that there is an operating range. just keep it inside that range and you will be good. If you go much over or under that range, you are just asking for problems.

yeah, I do get a good laugh out of all the armchair engineers out there. I for one actually like to leave all the heavy engineering work to the actual engineers.

Well I am glad both these guys agree with me... I honestly have never heard of this "insurance" about overfilling an engine.

And yeah Forum keyboard warriors are always smarter than the engineer that designed, built and tested the engine ;) :confused::lol: :popped out:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Auto Mechanics: how much is too much oil? - Straight Dope Message Board

Essentially, like I said earlier, if your adding an extra qt or more, that becomes too much. Check your engine, is it frothing when you put an extra 1/3 of a qt in it? I have. It doesn't. Sorry...the extra 1/3 of a qt isn't harmful, in fact on a turbo engine, or a high revving engine like a 4V its beneficial. lol. People. But you humps do what you want...I don't care, its not my engine in your car. View attachment 287594 This is my engine, in my car, notice the breather? No oil anywhere, I'd recommend one of these too, but people also wanna argue about that too...it is what it is, you can't give good advice to some people, they don't wanna hear it.
I feel like I'm just feeding the troll right now. But sure I'll bite, you keep saying that overfilling is good for the car and we should be doing it, because 4v and high revving. Could you explain your reasoning, what exactly do you think the extra oil is doing? Because just adding extra oil isn't going to increase oil flow or cause there to be any extra oiling.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Well I am glad both these guys agree with me... I honestly have never heard of this "insurance" about overfilling an engine.

And yeah Forum keyboard warriors are always smarter than the engineer that designed, built and tested the engine ;) :confused::lol: :popped out:
I would like to ensure I'm separated from this argument since I wrongly used the word insurance talking about my .1qt overfill. I'm against a 1/2qt overfill by all means. I'm just one to measure mine often and I know my .1qt wasn't going to harm anything...definitely not involved in this unfolding drama

·
Registered
43 Posts
you're not feeding a troll, you are maybe attempting to become one. congrats. PS. maybe try reading, the extra oil helps prevent oil starvation in the heads of a 4V at high rpm, or in our engine the head at high rpm, as well as the turbo. Don't take my word, google it all and then post any flaws or mis-statements I made with the knowledge you find when you take the time to actually do real research on your own. Or, just believe what you wanna believe, its up to you, I really don't care either way. Enjoy the research.
I really hate when people say "do your research" or "look it up" as if they are citing some omnipresent source that we all have access to on a whim. The search results you get are heavily dependent on your past search history, but more importantly, how you word your search query.

For example, I decided to go search for the magic source of truth that you imply is so readily available and the very first result I got is this. They're talking about leaking seals, high pressure in the crankcase and loss of power. The recommendation is to change the overfilled oil.

I know what you're going to say - "that's not the Google result I see!". Don't fret, I'm one step ahead of you. Here's the second link. Let me quote this post:

While it may not seem like a big deal to overfill the oil in your car, it can cause major malfunctions and potentially cost you thousands of dollars. When too much engine oil fills the crankshaft in your car, the oil becomes aerated and is whipped into foam.
Ok ok, I get it. The internet is out to get you. Let's try the 3rd result shall we? You can go over the details yourself but overall, it's not good.

I suggest you provide your own sources because all you've done is reaffirm my belief that people on the internet are constantly spewing anecdotal bull**** as tried-and-true life lessons.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts