Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without doing into great detail of why; I F'd up and needed to take my car in for some body work/repainting.
To say that the bodyshop did a horrible job would be an understatement, and this was a USAA "top tier" recommended shop.
The actual repair is fantastic, but the repainting/clean up is something you would expect from a 3rd grader (and the guy has been fired).

Anyway, there is tons of overspray (silver and clear) all over the inside and outside of the car. The shop is going to fix/clean external overspray sections and replace some of the plastic trim that they damaged.
They also had a detailer come out and take care of the inside; he did about a 90% excellent job but still missed some spots.
The detailer admitted that they are pretty conservative in the products and methods they use to clean. They don't have the resources to replace/fix things that may get damaged so they stay conservative, I can respect that.

To the point; there are some center console trim pieces (around the HVAC and radio/sound controls) and on the instrument cluster that still have some light overspray on them.
Rather than have the shop do it, I'm wanting to take care the interior myself.

What is a good product to use that won't damage the finish of the plastic or dull the clear parts???

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Without doing into great detail of why; I F'd up and needed to take my car in for some body work/repainting.
To say that the bodyshop did a horrible job would be an understatement, and this was a USAA "top tier" recommended shop.
The actual repair is fantastic, but the repainting/clean up is something you would expect from a 3rd grader (and the guy has been fired).

Anyway, there is tons of overspray (silver and clear) all over the inside and outside of the car. The shop is going to fix/clean external overspray sections and replace some of the plastic trim that they damaged.
They also had a detailer come out and take care of the inside; he did about a 90% excellent job but still missed some spots.
The detailer admitted that they are pretty conservative in the products and methods they use to clean. They don't have the resources to replace/fix things that may get damaged so they stay conservative, I can respect that.

To the point; there are some center console trim pieces (around the HVAC and radio/sound controls) and on the instrument cluster that still have some light overspray on them.
Rather than have the shop do it, I'm wanting to take care the interior myself.

What is a good product to use that won't damage the finish of the plastic or dull the clear parts???

Thanks for any help...
Do you have any pics? It is really hard to tell without pics.

Going off of your story, I don't think any cleaners will be able to take it off unless you had some sort of protectant on the plastics that would serve as a base layer for the overspray to adhere to rather than the plastic itself.

If you were to try a product to get the overspray off, you would need to scrub hard enough that it would make the dull plastic look shiny.

One thing you could do is try wrapping it? You can get matte wraps or carbon fiber (3M Di-Noc). Not ideal I know, but it isn't an ideal situation.

·
Registered
768 Posts
They don't have the resources to replace/fix things that may get damaged so they stay conservative, I can respect that.
To this statement, I have two words....buuuuullllll fu$&ing s&$t !

Two thoughts...if they are that conservative they are not professionals. If they don't have the liability to cover damages, they either don't trust their own work (conservative = half @$$) or shouldn't be in a business, or both.

Hold their feet to the fire. You need to, and are obligated to yourself to get your car back in the exact same condition you dropped it off in. Period, end of discussion.

·
Registered
862 Posts

Two thoughts...if they are that conservative they are not professionals. If they don't have the liability to cover damages, they either don't trust their own work (conservative = half @$$) or shouldn't be in a business, or both.

Hold their feet to the fire. You need to, and are obligated to yourself to get your car back in the exact same condition you dropped it off in. Period, end of discussion.
Music Talent show Font Photo caption Performance

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
As a detailer, I wouldn't touch that. My fear would be ruining the finish around and under the overspray getting it off. If it is the plastic trim, replacement is the best option. Make the shop do it. Go back to your insurance agent and tell him/her what happened. The shop will make you whole again.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
As a detailer, I wouldn't touch that. My fear would be ruining the finish around and under the overspray getting it off. If it is the plastic trim, replacement is the best option. Make the shop do it. Go back to your insurance agent and tell him/her what happened. The shop will make you whole again.
Yeah a "Top-tier" shop WILL be liable to replace literally everything or they won't be "top-tier."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Maybe there was some confusion...the detailing people were a 3rd party hired by the body shop. They told the shop that can't do anymore, so now the shop is going to take care of it.
the interior is pretty minor, so Im willing to do it myself. At least then I know I did it right; no surprises or further damage.

As for the exterior, I'm holding them to a 100% satisfaction finish!!! I also have USAA backing me on this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
man its hard to say, removing the overspray from interior pieces is going to vary based on the material it's made of. Clearly paint thinner is going to remove it easily, but highly likely to damage any plastics.

clay bar will work but only on hard plastics,and can still cause wear marks.

I worked in an autobody detail shop for 5 years and I'm VERY good at detailing.

Feel free to PM me and we can go into great detail if you want.

·
Registered
311 Posts
How about posting pictures? That would help 100% more than what we have now. Right now is the equivalent of asking if your GF is hot and not sharing pics

1 - 10 of 10 Posts