Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few weeks ago while sitting in traffic in 90 degree weather I turned the AC on and the temp started to spike on the gauge. I turned the AC off and the temp went back to normal. It just happened again today. Car is a 13, 72k mi on chassis about 10k on motor. No CELs car has a FRPP tune a plugs that have been installed for about 3k miles. Any thoughts on where to begin or what to check.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You may have air in the system.

Burp it

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Administrator
11,841 Posts
I noticed a few weeks ago while sitting in traffic in 90 degree weather I turned the AC on and the temp started to spike on the gauge. I turned the AC off and the temp went back to normal. It just happened again today. Car is a 13, 72k mi on chassis about 10k on motor. No CELs car has a FRPP tune a plugs that have been installed for about 3k miles. Any thoughts on where to begin or what to check.

Do you still have active grill shutters? They have been known to malfunction and stay in the closed position sometimes. That would block your airflow quite a bit.

How are your intake air temps? If they are abnormally high then that would point to the AGS system as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do still have the AGS. I was thinking this may be the culprit

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have disabled the ags and burped the system and it overheats really quick with the A/C on as soon as you come to a stop, and with the A/C off it will overheat in about 30min of bumper to bumper traffic. Where do I look next, water pump? A/C compressor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
So I have disabled the ags and burped the system and it overheats really quick with the A/C on as soon as you come to a stop, and with the A/C off it will overheat in about 30min of bumper to bumper traffic. Where do I look next, water pump? A/C compressor?

When you disabled the AGS, did you confirm it is actually open and not still closed.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Fan was my first thought too, but then if the fan isn't working it should gen overheating all the time. Turning the AC off wouldn't cool it back down either if the fan wasn't on.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can hear the fan kick on and see it spinning.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a way to check fan speed or function? It sounded different to me last night when I parked

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
when the car has been started, and warmed up, did you pop the hood to check to see if everything is running? I'm sure you did, just a though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fan is def running, I don't think it's running properly.

·
Registered
964 Posts
have you done anything to the wiring? I wonder if it's spinning backwards pushing the hot engine bay air forward though the rad and condenser..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
have you done anything to the wiring? I wonder if it's spinning backwards pushing the hot engine bay air forward though the rad and condenser..

Changed 'er from suck to blow. Hey somebody had to say it ...

·
Registered
964 Posts
how long ago was the engine swap.. months, not mileage. and did you use your AC a lot before you noticed it.

I ask that, because it wasn't 90° during the winter months so you might not have noticed and issues after the engine swap.

The only thing that the HVAC has in common with the cooling system is the fan.

I'd at least look to make sure it's spinning the right way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Engine was done a year ago, so it was ok last summer and a trip to Florida

1 - 20 of 24 Posts