Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a change to Motul DCTF tonight in my 14 ST and was curious if an overfill is possible/detrimental and if it sounds like I really overfilled. The car was pretty level but was hard to tell since the wheel was off and jack still on the pinch weld. Anyway, I pumped pretty much all of two liters of fluid into the fill hole. I then put the fill plug in while the fluid was still slowing trickling out into my pan. I poured the used oil back into the Motul containers and the used oil plus whatever trickled out into the drain pan filled the two containers full.

It is my first time doing a MTF change so I just want to make sure I will be fine before I put the wheel and shield back on. Should I put the car back down the level and pop the fill plug? Please let me know. I tend to overthink things so I just wanted to check with everyone here first! Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did a change to Motul DCTF tonight in my 14 ST and was curious if an overfill is possible/detrimental and if it sounds like I really overfilled. The car was pretty level but was hard to tell since the wheel was off and jack still on the pinch weld. Anyway, I pumped pretty much all of two liters of fluid into the fill hole. I then put the fill plug in while the fluid was still slowing trickling out into my pan. I poured the used oil back into the Motul containers and the used oil plus whatever trickled out into the drain pan filled the two containers full.

It is my first time doing a MTF change so I just want to make sure I will be fine before I put the wheel and shield back on. Should I put the car back down the level and pop the fill plug? Please let me know. I tend to overthink things so I just wanted to check with everyone here first! Thanks!
I recommend making sure the car is level when you check otherwise it's likely the fluid level isn't right. From my personal experience when I dropped my trans and threw in a Mfactory LSD, I had my car's front end off the ground a bit. When I lowered to standard right height, more fluid drained out of the drain bolt hole. It probably was around 4 ounces more that poured out. Honestly, you'd probably be ok without being level, but why take the chance. If the trans is overfilled, you have the possibility of causing the fluid to be aerated/foam up causing lubrication issues.

Just leave the tire off the drivers side and lower the car to standard driving height with a jack. Then allow the fluid to drain out and then cap it, torque it and be done.

·
Administrator
11,899 Posts

I'd be more worried about underfilling it. The 1.8 fill is hard to do imo, I just pump two quarts in it and try to get it sealed up before the .2 runs out, lol. It has taken some practice. At this point I nail it quite well. Which then raises the questions of why I have done this so many times, and why I am too familiar with removing the transmission out of an ST.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

I'd be more worried about underfilling it. The 1.8 fill is hard to do imo, I just pump two quarts in it and try to get it sealed up before the .2 runs out, lol. It has taken some practice. At this point I nail it quite well. Which then raises the questions of why I have done this so many times, and why I am too familiar with removing the transmission out of an ST.
That's basically what I did. I kept going and put the plug in while it was dribbling out. It definitely was a slower trickle and definitely wasn't pouring out of the fill hole. This morning I lowered the car down a bunch to where it looked level. Pulled the fill plug and a small amount of fluid started to seep. Was a slight amount so I capped and put the car back together. Looks spot on. Shifting seems a little better maybe. It was 40 deg this morning and the car wasn't as tough as usual. Only drove the car for five min so if it's that good cold, it should get better as it warms up.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you pumped 2 qts dont worry about it. If you under filled thats when u worry

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you pumped 2 qts dont worry about it. If you under filled thats when u worry

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yeah I think it should be good. It was not pouring out of the fill plug just a slow trickle and I tried capping at off ASAP so i'm sure not much was lost. I pumped pretty much all of both containers. Car is shifting so much better in the cold but when it warms up it feels similar or maybe a hair better. The old fluid looked nasty so I am glad to get it out of there at least.

EDIT: I am good! I put it up on a two post lift (should have done this job on a lift in the first place..) and the fluid was exactly at the threads of the fill plug so I was worried about overfilling it and I barely got it right! So an under fill definitely is easy like everyone else said. Be careful!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same thing to my 14 ST last week. Bought the Motul DCTF and filled the fluid using the top factory fill hole instead while the car was still up on ramp. I just put slightly more than 1.7L in and close it up. I think I can put more in, but I didn't... So far so good. And honestly, I didn't notice much shifting difference, but the old fluid does look nasty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the same thing to my 14 ST last week. Bought the Motul DCTF and filled the fluid using the top factory fill hole instead while the car was still up on ramp. I just put slightly more than 1.7L in and close it up. I think I can put more in, but I didn't... So far so good. And honestly, I didn't notice much shifting difference, but the old fluid does look nasty.
1.7L should be exactly the advertised 1.8 quart amount. I did not notice too much difference except downshifting into second is easier and the car shifts great when cold now. My old fluid looked black and had a metallic shimmer to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts