Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving my car today on the freeway had no problems, got off the highway turned around went to get back on the highway and noticed it felt sluggish. While I was merging onto the highway I really noticed it, it felt like a huge turbo lag then I notice I was producing no boost. It was also showing 0 oil pressure and my oil temps were around 260. I got off the highway and notice my shutters were close and the one that actuated them was broken from the rest. I've since let the car cool down and it seems to run fine. I want to take the damn shutters off but I'm worried about being held against me if that over heating did cause a real problem. Any advice? It was also 99 degrees here in Texas today.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Take those shutters off. You dont need them in Texas. I live in az. Yesterday in phx it was 117. My oil temps never went over 195 and that was 75 to 100 mph and pulling 10 mile mountain hills. I have a cpe fmic stage 2 fswerks. Shutters mess up stay closed blow your motor.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Have you ever heard of loosing all boost from overheating?
More than likely the ECM is programmed to restrict boost in a overheating condition like you described. I am surprised it did not throw a code and go into limp mode.

+1 take out the shutters, all they do is restrict flow.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Take those shutters off. You dont need them in Texas. I live in az. Yesterday in phx it was 117. My oil temps never went over 195 and that was 75 to 100 mph and pulling 10 mile mountain hills. I have a cpe fmic stage 2 fswerks. Shutters mess up stay closed blow your motor.
Are they needed for any reason in colder climates during winter? I've been wanting to take mine off too, but you mention Texas or more specifically the South and warmer areas

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are they needed for any reason in colder climates during winter? I've been wanting to take mine off too, but you mention Texas or more specifically the South and warmer areas
They are used to help heat the car a little faster, but tons and tons of people on here run there cars without them. You pretty much have to take them off if you get an aftermarket intercooler.

·
Registered
530 Posts
They are used to help heat the car a little faster, but tons and tons of people on here run there cars without them. You pretty much have to take them off if you get an aftermarket intercooler.
I knew that about aftermarket, I just didn't know if there was any risk of something freezing in too cold of temps in winter. I've seen semis with carboard strapped over the front grill before a few times in winter up here and figured it had to do with it being too cold so I wondered if the same applied with shutters

·
Registered
744 Posts
Your car should be fine. A few months ago, I was at a movie, got out around 2AM with my GF, wasn't paying attention and ended up pulling straight forward and into a median in the parking lot. The median actually slipped underneath the bumper, (luckily) missed the FMIC and hit the corner of my radiator and cracked it. Didn't notice until the next morning when I went to drive and my car overheated. The car threw a code and cut boost completely. Got it towed, replaced the radiator, and pulled the battery to reset everything. Haven't had problems since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the input, I was honestly surprised it threw no codes. I will definitely be ripping them out tomorrow.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The shutters are for two reasons.
They do help warm up the car, anywhere.
The engine oil being up to temp is better.
The shutters allow getting up to temps anytime.
I would say they are not much need for this in hot climates.

The other thing the shutters do is aerodynamic.
The shutters allow a smoother airflow around the car.
So they can increase mpg when closed, or even when less than fully open.

For most ST owners this is a 'who cares' sort of thing.
For anyone interested in better mpg, and faster warm up, leave the shutters in.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The shutters are for two reasons.
They do help warm up the car, anywhere.
The engine oil being up to temp is better.
The shutters allow getting up to temps anytime.
I would say they are not much need for this in hot climates.

The other thing the shutters do is aerodynamic.
The shutters allow a smoother airflow around the car.
So they can increase mpg when closed, or even when less than fully open.

For most ST owners this is a 'who cares' sort of thing.
For anyone interested in better mpg, and faster warm up, leave the shutters in.
exacTley!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I live in MN and run an oil cooler in addition to removing the Active Shutter System.

Haven't had a problem yet. Shutter is just trash behind the grill to me. I think I need to paint the crash bar or go tubular though.

FB_IMG_1498076895173.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts