Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not a Focus... and some of you will blast us for not concentrating on our FST, but I had to share.

In reality, no such ST model exists in the Escape lineup, but I strongly feel this 2.0 Ecoboost unit deserves/can pull off the moniker.

As of last week, we've added this 2013 Escape ST fwd with 2.0 Ecoboost to the stable.

We drove an AWD as well, and while it's a cool feature and nice to have, we really wont be using it for anything remotely off roadish (have several "real" body on frame 4wds for that). The additional weight (and cost!!!), was noticeable performance wise as well.

Must say - this thing RIPS!!! Doesnt hardly feel off from a 2013 Focus ST. Truthfully, it shouldn't. The ST should weigh in at 3300, this one is around 3450-3500 from what I gather (ford's published weights are hard to source). The 6spd auto in this one is marvelous - I'm absolutely a "row your own" fella, but the shifts are crisp, fast and efficient. I'll bet this is a case were an auto version actually would trump a manual at the strip (though no manual escape 2.0 turbo is available). There arent many humans that can shift this fast, and in a turbo car, keeping the boost at full song really pays off. Power wise it's rated at 240, whereas the Focus is stated at 252. Torque figures are stated at an identical 270.

Can't wait to get this to the strip to see what surprises she can pull off. Another online car rag tested a loaded out Titanium edition with awd at 14.9. I have to say this thing oughta run a low 14 if that's true, which puts it squarely in the same zone as the Focus ST.

So far we've added what I feel is the requisite ST badge to the rear, and our Massive billet oil cap.

Next will be an intake system (this will most likely be developed and then come to market shortly there after) and an axle back exhaust system (again - for sale soon). Then a tune and possibly test out our adjustable waste gate actuator. After that, probably test out more exhaust stuff, a 3" downpipe (if the FST doesnt fit) and matching exhaust. Probably figure out a front big brake setup. AFter that, who knows.

We are certainly researching wheel options as well. Needs bigger rollers to fill out these huge wheel wells. 5x108 bolt pattern definitely kinda sucks... May redrill the hubs, as spacers would poke out most any wheel setup a tad too much. Would love some 19" factory GT500 wheels on this thing. Kinda "make our own" Escape ST as Ford might have made it. Then again the Focus RS MK2 Euro 19"s in 5x108 will be available from FR in about 3 weeks.... those would be hot as well.

All in all this is an excellent vehicle, and with a an unreal purchase price of ~24K, an unbeatable deal.

So far with only 500 miles on the clock she's returning 28mpg in mixed use. My jaw is still on the floor.

· Registered
2,180 Posts
Very very interetsing, seems like a cool project at hand. My only concern is Handling... Man the st feels real good in the corners, the escape looks like body roll heaven comapred to the FST, lol. WEll you don't buy a Crossover cause you like blasting down country roads at breakneck speeds lol.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I plan on "blacking out" the chrome bar at very least, and then maybe painting some of the bumper black, kinda like this one:

Handling wise, it's good. Remember, these are built on a modified Focus chassis, so it feels like a bigger Focus. I've already confirmed our toe and camber arms fit the rear.

I think I might try regular or titanium Focus springs on it, they will fit right in. ST springs might make it too low (wait, did I just say "too low"?).

The rear sway bar setup is different than the Focus, the bar is up above the rear lower control arms, presumably for ground clearance, but I'd like to somehow increase it's size as well.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the wheels in question:

Also available in black, but im really not much of a black wheel guy. White however I think would look dope on this blue.

Then again I saw this pic yesterday and got to thinkin...

I'd love to find 4 of the GT500 track pack fronts in 19x9 too tho...

· Registered
3,616 Posts
I'm down with this. I've been thinking of this since my wife got the 12' Escape on lease. Can't wait to trade in and buy an ecoboost escape with all your mods.. I'll just have to convince my wife to let me drive it once in a while..:)

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This thread reminded just kinda reminded me... I really want to try the RS wheels.

I kinda just happened to have a set here.

[overt bragging]

[/overt bragging]

So yeah. Looks for test pics soon. :D

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bolted on a set of 19" Focus RS wheels for giggles today. Might look OK with a bit taller tire and some drop. But offset wasnt really ideal either, was tucked in too far.

I had a 5x108 to 5x114.3 - 1.25" thickness adapter laying around. I bolted on a 96 Cobra 17x8 wheel for fun.

While I did like the styling, it of course stuck out way too far. Could redrill the hubs and offset would be perfect. But then you couldnt revert back to stockers for winter..... I dunno.

I'd going to get my hands on some S197 wheels here soon, they should have a more ideal offset than those ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.