Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
First off, I recently got a new tune to go with a FMIC that is on the way, so we will see if the new tune fixes this but its something that happens pretty consistently on the current tune so I am wondering if anyone else ever has this, or what could be causing it - I did a quick check over connections for vacuum leaks as I thought that may be it but do not see anything obvious.

When I cold start the car in the morning (if you can call 70F cold...)- if I let it idle for more than 10 sec or so the rpms will 'surge', not sure if that is the correct word, but they oscillate by about 200 rpm up for about 30 seconds, if I leave it alone it will go away and not return. If I blip the throttle, or simply back out of the driveway it will also stop it - it only happens if I start it up and do nothing.

Otherwise car behaves normally, only other 'issue' is that the rpms will dip low and it will bump it self back up to about 1500 to stabilize, this seems to only happen when the AC is on so I guess I figure that its within the norm, but mention it as it may relate to the issue. The only other weird thing I can think of is very rarely the car will start and stall out immediately, requiring a restart. This has happened probably 4-5 times in the 10k miles on the car (8k of those on a Stratified tune :p), but figure I will mention it :)

Also just have to say I LOVE the tune, cruise around with e30 long enough and the car feels like a pig when you have to go back to 91 :( lol. Fantastic work you guys are doing!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the kind words. The oscillations you are feeling are "normal" in the sense that the vehicle enters a catalyst warm up sequence that can cause some surging for a short period of time.
Ah! Well, thats great to know, I had the car stock all of about 2-3k miles before I got my first tune from you guys so I either didnt notice or forgot about it doing it when it was stock!

BTW stop temping me with your big turbo kits, blogs, and other awesome things that would fix my craving for more top end :p
**J/k dont stop, my wife is forcing me to say these things :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you have an anti theft slot? cranking and immediately dying sounds like anti theft tune to me
I do on my current tune, but I have never even gone into that slot :) Its a very rare occurrence so I think it may be something like me letting up on the start button to fast? (If that is even a thing, guess I have never tested to see if it matters if you hold it for a sec or not...) Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts