Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my next car of choice is an ST (my first turbo) and im really digging this st3 but it has a rebuilt title and im trying to piece together the story on it. Im needing some help :smile:

here is a link to the car https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/2014-ford-focus-st/6294836135.html

He says he bought it from a salvage dealer one year ago. It had front end damage - hood, bumper, headlight, left fender, and core support? but thats supposedly all. Doesn't make sense to me how it would be totaled? Either way tell me what you guys think! Appreciate it !

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unless you know what you are doing I would walk away from this car. There have been a lot of mods which isn't necessarily bad, but with a rebuilt title you have no idea of the underlying damage. You can do better on this model, keep looking.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Unless you know what you are doing I would walk away from this car. There have been a lot of mods which isn't necessarily bad, but with a rebuilt title you have no idea of the underlying damage. You can do better on this model, keep looking.
Dont cars with "rebuilt" titles have to undergo a real scrutinized safety inspection? Here in Cali they do and to be honest if it were a good deal and everything checks out then id jump on it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Lately I've seen a lot of rebuilt titled STs on CL from Louisville. One, though, was $9,800. Had 81k miles, 2013 ST3, was rebuilt but something fell on it, he had photos of the damage.

Anyway, what I would say is if I was considering a car with a rebuilt title I would get it on a lift and let somebody who knows what to look for check it all out and give me the green light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the mods he just sent me that it has. Ive been a mustang guy for a while so this is still new to me. I appreciate any help!

-steeda front swaybar endlinks
- depo racing 3.5" intercooler
- depo racing intercooler hot/cold pipes
- cobb accessport v3
- cobb catless downpipe
- custom straight pipe exhaust
- cobb cold air intake box opened
- rear motor mount
- tru block sound symposer
- mishimoto coolant hoses
- boomba racing transmission bracket bushings
- TUNED by stratified tuning on 91 octane
- running 23 psi boost

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
only version i would ever buy.
saving 2k isnt worth the ST2. ST3 or nothing
Same. Between the seats, the stereo, and the headlights...it's not worth the downgrade to me. Only if you're a simplistic person who wants ONLY the performance of the car (even though it lacks the nice performance seats) then you can go ST1 or something...but ST3 or bust for me too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Seems overpriced by a lot. You can buy a clean 50k mile 2014 starting at about $15k. A rebuilt title car should be at least 25% below clean title price. I would suggest passing on the rebuilt title. There may or may not be problems from the crash and repair. And when you go to sell it in a year or five, nobody is going to want it because of the rebuilt status. Not worth the hassle imho.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had 2 cars that are rebuilt, including a focus ZX3. Just make sure you get a mechanic to look at it. With all of the mods, you should be fine as it looks like the car has been gone through. Also, agree that it seems to be priced pretty high. I would definitely try to negotiate down.

·
Registered
730 Posts
barely and not noticeable
I'm not gonna go this route and argue, but weight is weight, and when purchasing a vehicle that some may use for competition or however you wana put it, some people look at that comparing model to model.

I'm just stating the fact it's lighter. The race model phrase was a joke lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright so ive decided to look at it this saturday and am really wanting to buy it if it checks out. Bringing someone to help me look for anything that stands out body wise from the repairs.. but ST specific, anything you guys can suggest to look for? Ive already had him send me a pic of the OAR to make sure its running -1.0...so stuff like that, that you look for when buying these

·
Registered
197 Posts
My insurance company (Allstate) won't insure a vehicle with a salvage or rebuilt title. The only insurance I could find was strictly liability from another company, so I would only buy a rebuilt or salvage titled car if it was CHEAP.

Also guys, the ST2 has the same headlights and stereo as the ST3 and it also has Recaro seats. I specifically did not want a 3, but I would have taken one if I hadn't found the 2 that I wanted.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would avoid if it was a flood car-
I generally would agree with this but I took a gamble and bought a flood car (2010 cobalt) with a rebuilt title and it turned out very well for me.
I picked it up for only $6700 (KBB value non-rebuilt was about $10500) with new tires and inspection when it was only 2 years old and it had a new engine in it because of the flood damage. I had it for 5 years until i bought my ST and never had a single issue related to water damage.

So it's a gamble, but it can pay off! Just important to have a trusted mechanic look over it first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts