Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I’m reaching out to all Massachusetts ST owners with a question. Have any of you used Bren tuning for a dyno tune for your ST? They offer a full dyno tune for $500, with some good discounts around this time of year, they recently ran a Black Friday promotion for $300.

They are a COBB tuner and very well known in the WRX/GTI/Moto world, but I can’t find any info about how they do with STs. I’ve heard nothing but good things from WRX owners that I know.

I did a trial run and had them install my downpipe and chassis bracing and I was very satisfied with the way they work. The shop was extremely clean, and gave me a really good feeling.

I currently run a strat flash tune with a datalog, but I would like to upgrade to a real dyno tune next year when winter ends. Any opinions?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone having their ST tuned with them, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has. Most people make the trek up to Freektune, wouldn't be bad having a closer reliable option.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't know if they have changed - or even who still works there.... but back in the day with the MS3 community they had a very bad reputation. Their "dyno" produced highly inflated numbers and they had some shady practices. One of their tuned cars was called out and walked by a car that shouldn't have had any business even keeping up.

... but this was back in 2012 or so.

www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f544/320hp-400tq-93-a-133935/

www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f551/brentuning-scam-ripoff-tuner-avoid-133942/

·
Registered
537 Posts
Brenn Tuned my LGT wagon stage 1 and 2, no issues, even sent my revision on Superbowl night. The car pulled fine and passed the NY State emissions inspection at stage 2. which surprised my mechanic.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't know if they have changed - or even who still works there.... but back in the day with the MS3 community they had a very bad reputation. Their "dyno" produced highly inflated numbers and they had some shady practices. One of their tuned cars was called out and walked by a car that shouldn't have had any business even keeping up.

... but this was back in 2012 or so.

www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f544/320hp-400tq-93-a-133935/

www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f551/brentuning-scam-ripoff-tuner-avoid-133942/
This is interesting to hear....2012 was 8 years ago but that really isn’t that long. Not exactly good to read that thread, especially with the mentions of them making a knowingly unsafe tune to get big numbers.

They're highly regarded in the WRX community.
I’ve heard this before as well, my thought was that the quality of their work on WRXs would translate to other cars they work on.

Brenn Tuned my LGT wagon stage 1 and 2, no issues, even sent my revision on Superbowl night. The car pulled fine and passed the NY State emissions inspection at stage 2. which surprised my mechanic.
This is good to hear

I haven't heard of anyone having their ST tuned with them, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has. Most people make the trek up to Freektune, wouldn't be bad having a closer reliable option.
I learned about freektune only about a month ago, they are on my radar, but bren is worth a consideration I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Brenn Tuning also tunes AMG's, BMW's and BMW bikes. they sound assume in the Videos I've watched

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brenn Tuning also tunes AMG's, BMW's and BMW bikes. they sound assume in the Videos I've watched
Yeah they have a really cool s1000rr in their waiting room.

I’m not too sketched out, my thought process is that if people feel comfortable bringing much more expensive cars to them then I can be comfortable with my ST.

My only hang up is that I’m concerned they may lack experience with the platform and thus might unintentionally create an unsafe or less powerful tune. Or worse, both. Freektune isn’t too far away from me, but I’d hate to have to trek back up there if anything goes wrong, bren is so close by, only a 15 minute drive.

I still have plenty of time to think about this, I’m on winter tires right now anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts