Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ST, Mountune v2 rmm, AEM Dryflow
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Looking for your opinions on what you think would give me the better overall improvement here. Let me first say what I am looking for mostly is reliability and longevity. I drive my car for work a lot (60,000km per year). It is an '18, now with 140,000km on it since January '19.

Current mods are: Radium PCV Baffle Plate + Catch Can, Mountune RMM, GFB DV+ BPV, shifter bushings/cable ends, etc.

As I drive for work, they supply me with a gas card. The catch - I can only use 87 fuel :sick:

Because of this I have stuck with stock tune, but have an AP for monitoring and for future tuning.

What I am looking for, as mentioned above, is your opinions on which would you see being a bigger overall improvement: WMI, or a FMIC?

I would of course like to eventually do both, so that I can conservatively tune for a bit more power and maintain it reliably, but the budget dictates only one of these can occur in 2021.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts (and if you can think of any other ideas/mods to improve reliability/longevity, I would be glad to hear them!)

·
Registered
*2016 Ford Focus ST
352 Posts
Fmic, always fmic, fmic first mod, fmic forever!!!

Then do wmi next year, lol.
Like the man said. front mount intercooler. The first thing I ever did to my car and I’m sure the car appreciated it much more being able to get that air in and out quicker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You think that would be better even given that I have to run 87, and also am up in Canada so don’t see a ton of high temps, nor do I track or autox. My gut was saying wmi would give me more tangible benefits faster. But if you guys think fmic even given all of the above circumstances then I trust that.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
You think that would be better even given that I have to run 87, and also am up in Canada so don’t see a ton of high temps, nor do I track or autox. My gut was saying wmi would give me more tangible benefits faster. But if you guys think fmic even given all of the above circumstances then I trust that.
Without a good intercooler you will just get power pulled from heat soak, no matter what other mods you have.

Reactions: Ujiro and ST1Dale

·
Registered
*2016 Ford Focus ST
352 Posts
It’ll give you more tangible benefits but what fun is only getting full power on one pull when you can have them on more with a good fmic unit. Like stated above our cars do heat soak like hell on that factory unit, not to mention the ags system that blocks the whole front lol

Reactions: Ujiro

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is it possible to have them only pay for the 87 and you pay the difference? Might be a bit of work to track the difference but if you can run 93/94 it wakes the car up plus your milage is better. That's been my experience. Or fill up at Petro-Canada and use the points card to save some on gas. FWIW, do the fmic. I'm in N.Alberta and even doing multiple passing pulls on the highway is no issue. Raptor Racing has sales quite often, but I elected to go with ESP out of Dallas.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST
49 Posts
When I was stock intercooler even with 20 degree air during wot pulls the stock intercooler literally gained 70-80 degrees! By the end of pulls my air temps where 90+ degrees. With a depo 3.5” it raises 2-3 degrees on a pull (on a bigger turbo). If your just going to drive the car normally around town the stock intercooler works for that.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The IC would be your best bet as by the second time I would WOT, it was weaker. This inconsistency was very surprising to me when sock.

For you running 87, I would leave the car alone and wmi would not be worth the hassle. On 87 you are not even maxing out the stock tune and your heat soak should be less also. There is no point in running 87 and modifing/tuning your car.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,370 Posts
I wonder how the air temp sensor sits in the aftermarket ones compared to stock.

I'm getting an aftermarket FMIC also and agree better to do this first then WMI if you run catch cans.

But I also wonder if the temp sensor sits further out of the air stream on some of the aftermarket ones and looks artificially low?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Youre in a tricky situation where you need to consult a tuner for their capabilities and not us arm chair warriors...

WMI of only water can lower cooling temps dramatically. Maybe enough for a power gain.

adding a mixture of methanol, can substantially increase octane levels and reduce knock. With a proper tune, more power.

So can a tuner use 87 and a wmi tune to make more power? Maybe, maybe they don’t want to even try. But it would be interesting since you get essentially free gas and you’re just paying for a custom tune

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I’m with everyone else, if you have to run 87, buy an intercooler and just run the stock tune.

87 means that the car is already removing timing on it own, an intercooler will allow the car to run smooth and consistently pull after pull, and allow some of that timing to be added back in, but unless you can get better gas you’ll get very little gain from a tune.

The reason tunes work is that when running 93 there is headroom available, when running 87 there isn’t much headroom. You gain a small amount of headroom with an intercooler, but the car quickly allows itself to utilize that headroom without even changing the tune.

You could also try something like boostane but it’s very expensive.

If you do both WMI and an IC then you’ll be able to start really making some power. You’ll still be limited by the 87 but the gains should be noticeable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the help and input everyone. Seems like intercooler is the best first option. I wish I could pay the difference and run better gas, but alas.

Now if only intercoolers weren’t so dang expensive in Canada.. debating getting a Whoosh or Depo and driving across at some point to pick it up.

·
Administrator
12,255 Posts
Thanks for all of the help and input everyone. Seems like intercooler is the best first option. I wish I could pay the difference and run better gas, but alas.

Now if only intercoolers weren’t so dang expensive in Canada.. debating getting a Whoosh or Depo and driving across at some point to pick it up.
I'd go Whoosh. 4.3" core, great fitment. The depo is a 3.5", and can be quite a bit rougher depending on the batch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh
I'd go Whoosh. 4.3" core, great fitment. The depo is a 3.5", and can be quite a bit rougher depending on the batch.
Thanks Duece. I have seen you mention that the Whoosh is a very good value, so that is what I am aiming for. Is it direct fitment, or do I need any additional parts to complete the install?

·
Administrator
12,255 Posts
Oh

Thanks Duece. I have seen you mention that the Whoosh is a very good value, so that is what I am aiming for. Is it direct fitment, or do I need any additional parts to complete the install?
Both are direct fitment.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
745 Posts
Also,
Water meth is a pain to install. I promise the FMIC is a easier first step.

I will say iIt is quite impressive how much timing you can add with 50/50 WMI and a medium nozzle.. definitely could curb some of the sadness of 87 octane if tuned for it. But you should definitely have a Intercooler to protect your motor before you get in to any of that.

·
Registered
2017 ST1
1,030 Posts
Oh

You will only need a new bolt to attach the pressure sensor. The stock screw won't work on the new intercooler.

Easiest install ever.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
745 Posts
Lookin good.
I dig those fog lights.. do you have a link?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts