Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST3 Race Red
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2016 ST with 78k miles on it and one of the key fob (the one that appears to be used more often) does not work to unlock the doors or to turn on the car.

I replaced the battery on both key fobs and the irresponsive one is still not working.

Any light on what might be the cause?

PS.: I searched the forum but all the threads I found were about no key fob working.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm thinking you can sync it using the pad that is hidden inside the center arm rest- but perhaps I am mistaken. Your local Ford dealership can likely assist you, but I don't think they do anything for "free"...

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,595 Posts
That seems strange. Symptoms seem like BCM forgot one key.

I would double check the usual electrical culprits, good battery and connections, grounds, HCJB midi fuses, etc. And probably disconnect battery awhile, bleed residual voltage, reconnect before I took to dealer.

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
Possibly the fob is no good.

Reactions: SSgtjrobertson

·
Registered
200 Posts
Probably a broken/worn out fob. You can't reprogram facelift fobs without the scan tool so buying an Amazon fob will require a visit and payment to either a locksmith or auto technician with a scan tool. If you bought it from a Ford dealer they should provide a second working key for free.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,595 Posts
If you get 2 working again, you can pick up a cheap generic one off eBay for maybe $30+/- as future insurance to keep you out of the dealer. You have to match up those tiny numbers under the fob key cover to be sure it will work.
If you have 2 working ones, you can program up to 6 more, 8 total, yourself.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
...If you have 2 working ones, you can program up to 6 more, 8 total, yourself.
@MtnMan That’s awesome!! Do you have the link to the procedure for how to program fobs 3-8? 👍

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
@MtnMan That’s awesome!! Do you have the link to the procedure for how to program fobs 3-8? 👍
I don't have a ready link, but do remember it's in the owner's manual. I had to try it at least several times on the cheap eBay 3rd key I got, varying speed slightly before it took, but it wasn't difficult.

I haven't used it much, I just check it occasionally to be sure it still works.
for Ford Grand C-Max Focus Mondeo Kuga 2016 2017 2018 Remote Key Fob KR5876268 | eBay

·
Registered
2016 ST3 Race Red
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cleaned the car battery terminals and ground bolts and now both of the key fobs are working... not sure if this is what solved the problem or if the more used key fob is working intermittently, so I'll keep using the less used one and keep the more used at home as backup if needed. I really don't want to have the key fob stopping working when I'm far from home.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
I cleaned the car battery terminals and ground bolts and now both of the key fobs are working... not sure if this is what solved the problem or if the more used key fob is working intermittently, so I'll keep using the less used one and keep the more used at home as backup if needed. I really don't want to have the key fob stopping working when I'm far from home.
Do you have the actual door key? It Lives inside the fob. Also, do you know about the place in the center console to place your fob In order to start the car in the event of a failure ? Point is, You should be fine as long as you know these safeguards.

Reactions: MtnMan

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
...Also, do you know about the place in the center console to place your fob In order to start the car in the event of a failure ?...
I’m unaware of this. Please, do tell.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
Flat Transponder pad inside the bottom of center console. Reads the Key fob with or without electrical assistance. Exactly like the transponder ring around a standard ignition switch that reads the passive chip on the key.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Flat Transponder pad inside the bottom of center console. Reads the Key fob with or without electrical assistance. Exactly like the transponder ring around a standard ignition switch that reads the passive chip on the key.

Yeah i believe in your guys' facelift cars theres an outline of the fob in the rubber pad at the bottom? Simply set the key in the outline.

My PFL has a cover and a receptacle in the column to stick the fob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts