Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post this with a pounding heart, half freaked out. Has this happened to anyone? I was sitting in my 13 FoST for about 5-10 minutes after cutting the ignition, and out of the blue I'm surrounded by loud popping sounds. It sounded as if I was caught in the middle of a hail storm so intense that there would be damage to the car. It was so startling that I literally ran out of, and away from the car, thinking it was going to explode. No exaggeration - that's how startling and loud the sound was.

This actually happened once about a year or two ago, but at the time I convinced myself that the sound was coming from somewhere other than my car. Now that it's happened again, I'm freaked out.

What could cause such a thing with the ignition off? Could this be related to the purge valve?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I post this with a pounding heart, half freaked out. Has this happened to anyone? I was sitting in my 13 FoST for about 5-10 minutes after cutting the ignition, and out of the blue I'm surrounded by loud popping sounds. It sounded as if I was caught in the middle of a hail storm so intense that there would be damage to the car. It was so startling that I literally ran out of, and away from the car, thinking it was going to explode. No exaggeration - that's how startling and loud the sound was.

This actually happened once about a year or two ago, but at the time I convinced myself that the sound was coming from somewhere other than my car. Now that it's happened again, I'm freaked out.

What could cause such a thing with the ignition off? Could this be related to the purge valve?
Look at your gas tank and see if it's collapsing under vaccum.
other wild guesses is this is something cooling down and rattling or popping during stress relief in some manner. I've heard exhaust make some pretty loud pinging and popping noises before while cooling, but never anything that sounded like a pack of firecrackers

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts
Let's take a deep breath here.

What exactly do you mean pops. Like run on (dieseling) after the ignition is turned off? Or a mechanical deflation of a plastic fuel tank or stainless steel DP w/ cat rapidly cooling?

Has anything changed or do you currently have any DTC's (active or historical)?

The purge valve is easily enough changed and as far as the fuel tank TSB goes you've missed the boat for that.

Also as a side note if you really think something is going to actually explode there's a snow balls chance in hell that you could get far enough away in time. A half pound pipe bomb has a standard off distance of 90 feet. So my happy ass would have just sat there and laughed because the world ain't my problem anymore LMFAO!

But really Let's get a few more details.

J

Reactions: junits15

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Does this noise sound more electronic/electrical in nature and coming through the car's speakers? If so it could be your ACM that is failing.
My thoughts too. The loud ass static and popping can be startling.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,466 Posts
My thoughts too. The loud ass static and popping can be startling.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Scared the crap out of me when my original ACM failed a few years ago! 😬 It sounded like the loudest noise ever......

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the quick replies.

I did have the purge valve "recall" done, but I believe they only did the software update and didn't change any hardware. The first time it happened 1-2 years ago, this was before the recall. Today it was after the recall work, so that appears to be a non-factor.

I just checked the gas tank. It seems normal. In fact, the popping happened when I had half a tank (I've been trying not to let it get lower until I go through @SSgtjrobertson 's purge valve swap in his awesome thread), and I just tanked up and it took a full 6 gallons, so I doubt any deformation has happened. As for DTC, I did get one back in January after a WOT pull that was related to the purge valve, which is why I followed your thread SSgtrobertson and intend to do the swap. That was the only time that DTC ever showed up (it never did so before or after the time the popping occurred 2 years ago).

As for speakers, the car was completely off and the infotainment had already powered down to save battery. I could also hear the popping far away from the car with the door closed. Definitely didn't sound electrical.

Perhaps using the word "popping" is misleading. More like "dinging" and "thunking". It quite literally sounded like significant hail was falling on the car's sheet metal.

From a thermal perspective, this happened after a 3 minute driving cycle. 60 deg ambient temp outside. I don't think the car got up to operating temperature.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts
Catted DP?

·
Super Moderator
8,928 Posts
Gremlins?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts

from my understanding, and I could be wrong here, its the sound of desire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts