Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you want help, try loading photos that people can view without removing their ad blocker. You can load photos directly to the site.
Text Product Font Technology Screenshot

Reactions: DeadlyBreakdown

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm not sure how old you are, but like any old-timer (I'm 41), I will give you a long-winded and rambling story as to why you should get it fixed.

For me, the story starts in a restaurant parking lot about 3 years ago. I am in my Caliber SRT4, it's an 08 but has about 38k miles on it and is in great shape. I pull up to the parking spot, heard a slight noise but thought nothing of it. Until, that is, I backed out and almost left my entire front bumper cover there. Turned out there was re-bar sticking out of the parking block about 5" up. WTF? I don't know. I do know it tore the absolute crap out of all of the plastic brake ducting and the wheel well (like yours). I absolutely could not believe it. When I got home and assessed the damage, it was not the absolute worst but it sure sucked. I re-set the bumper cover, which I hate to admit did involve gorilla glue, as one of the attachment points was completely ripped. I took off what was damaged underneath (like yours, there was nothing critical) and kind of forgot about it as best I could.

From then on, stuff was constantly flapping and popping and making noises. Turns out that the brake ducting piece that didn't appear to serve a purpose held something else in place and without that piece it made something else flap around and so on and so on. Every time I was out of the car I would see that bumper sitting all jacked up and out of alignment. Gorilla glue is good, but it is not a magic wand. When I was in the car, I was constantly listening to varying odd noises and wondering what the heck was going on. My mind knew the car just had some dumb plastic issues but my ears heard a car that sounded like a complete POS.

If I had it to do over again...two things: I would have gone back inside that restaurant and they would have been filing a claim with their liability carrier. That parking block was like something out of a horror movie. Two: Even if that did not work, I would have just bitten the bullet and gotten the damn thing fixed 100%, cost be damned. There is a very fine line between being frugal and being a cheap a$$. I walk that line a lot. It really affected the remainder of my ownership experience with that car. And I really do regret not getting it repaired. I know it sucks, but dude, you have a really nice car. Keep it that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts