Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you want help, try loading photos that people can view without removing their ad blocker. You can load photos directly to the site.
Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 5.04.30 PM.png

Reactions: DeadlyBreakdown

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm not sure how old you are, but like any old-timer (I'm 41), I will give you a long-winded and rambling story as to why you should get it fixed.

For me, the story starts in a restaurant parking lot about 3 years ago. I am in my Caliber SRT4, it's an 08 but has about 38k miles on it and is in great shape. I pull up to the parking spot, heard a slight noise but thought nothing of it. Until, that is, I backed out and almost left my entire front bumper cover there. Turned out there was re-bar sticking out of the parking block about 5" up. WTF? I don't know. I do know it tore the absolute crap out of all of the plastic brake ducting and the wheel well (like yours). I absolutely could not believe it. When I got home and assessed the damage, it was not the absolute worst but it sure sucked. I re-set the bumper cover, which I hate to admit did involve gorilla glue, as one of the attachment points was completely ripped. I took off what was damaged underneath (like yours, there was nothing critical) and kind of forgot about it as best I could.

From then on, stuff was constantly flapping and popping and making noises. Turns out that the brake ducting piece that didn't appear to serve a purpose held something else in place and without that piece it made something else flap around and so on and so on. Every time I was out of the car I would see that bumper sitting all jacked up and out of alignment. Gorilla glue is good, but it is not a magic wand. When I was in the car, I was constantly listening to varying odd noises and wondering what the heck was going on. My mind knew the car just had some dumb plastic issues but my ears heard a car that sounded like a complete POS.

If I had it to do over again...two things: I would have gone back inside that restaurant and they would have been filing a claim with their liability carrier. That parking block was like something out of a horror movie. Two: Even if that did not work, I would have just bitten the bullet and gotten the damn thing fixed 100%, cost be damned. There is a very fine line between being frugal and being a cheap a$$. I walk that line a lot. It really affected the remainder of my ownership experience with that car. And I really do regret not getting it repaired. I know it sucks, but dude, you have a really nice car. Keep it that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts