Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil temp has never gone above half. On my way home it creeped just above half. Then a little further on the interstate and it went to 3/4. I turned around and the manager is arguing with me that he's sure they used the right oil and wants to check the range of the gauge and is trying to BS me that as long as the gauge isn't more than 50* above the coolant it's fine and is telling me 280 while cruising on the interstate at 50mph is fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
At the very least the dealer should perform another oil change on their dime to be sure the correct oil and amount is used. most of the time the RO is filled out with pre made comments in the CCC screen, and the tech or advisor forgets to change to correct wording. Eating an oil change should not be a big deal especially if its going to protect them from paying out of pocket for a motor.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I'd tell them to change the oil again and make sure they put the right amount because they ST takes more than a normal Focus. Also I'd watch to make sure they put in 5-W30. Or just tell them you are going to send a sample to Blackstone and see what they say. Then you get to call them a liar and get whatever you want.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Check to see what kind of oil was billed out on the work order, it should say there

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
If the oil billed says 5w-20, then they filled it with 5w-20.

Now, they could spend $$$ to send a sample off to a lab for testing and pay that fee.

Or they could put your car on the lift, drain it, then fill it right back up with 5w-30 like the manual says and be done with it.

5w-20 won't kill anything in normal driving. It will cause more wear (the turbo heats up oil something fierce, so they run a slightly thicker oil to compensate.

Now, if they underfilled it, then yeah, thats a HUGE problem.

This forum is ripe with stories of techs looking up the specs for a standard Focus and filling with 5qts of 5w-20 instead of 5.7qts of 5w-30.

So I'd definitely make them change it out. Ford says your car should run 5.7qts of 5W-30, then the dealer SHOULD fill your car with that, and correct it if any mistake happens.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
At my dealership I have seen the person behind he desk ring it up as 5W-20 but see my mechs use the proper oil. But then again I made sure to know my mech by name and they know my car. 2 different people, 1 bills, 1 fills.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oil temp has never gone above half. On my way home it creeped just above half. Then a little further on the interstate and it went to 3/4. I turned around and the manager is arguing with me that he's sure they used the right oil and wants to check the range of the gauge and is trying to BS me that as long as the gauge isn't more than 50* above the coolant it's fine and is telling me 280 while cruising on the interstate at 50mph is fine.

Just had this happen to me a few weeks ago, but they also under filled mine, they changed the oil correctly and I'll be getting a free one next time. I'd be pushing for them to change out your oil.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Swapping 5W-30 with 5W-20 isn't really a big deal, especially for street driving. If you're staying in heavy boost a lot then it might shorten the life of the bearings in the turbo. There were concerns about switching grades of oil with Ti-VCT when it first came out, since the cam phasers operate with static oil pressure, but it seems to have not really been an issue as long as you stay within one or two weights of the factory fill.

I would be far, far more concerned about the tech having put in the correct amount of oil.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Since oil temp is inferred/modeled based on coolant and driving history (engine RPM mostly) your coolant must have also been high and/or you drove at high RPM for quite a while (doesn't sound like you did that though). 280 is what we see on track where you spend 15 minutes at 4000-6500 RPM WOT. Did your coolant gauge also go significantly above half? Low oil could make it warmer, but 0.7 qt isn't really that much of a difference. Based on your signature I'm guessing you no longer have AGS that could have stuck closed?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Swapping 5W-30 with 5W-20 isn't really a big deal, especially for street driving. If you're staying in heavy boost a lot then it might shorten the life of the bearings in the turbo. There were concerns about switching grades of oil with Ti-VCT when it first came out, since the cam phasers operate with static oil pressure, but it seems to have not really been an issue as long as you stay within one or two weights of the factory fill.

I would be far, far more concerned about the tech having put in the correct amount of oil.
Agreed. These cars take a surprising amount of oil. I had a well known mechanic do my first change and help him in his shop. His first reaction to the amount the manual recommended he thought was a mistake. "We will just start by opening one bottle" he said. Sure enough the car takes a lot of oil.

But seriously I can see a tech cutting a corner and not double checking he put enough in. I dont think a scenario where somebody simply figured "well **** ive put plenty of oil in it must be good" isnt too unbelievable.

My car came with a complementary bottle of 5w-20 in the boot. Asked about it and was told 5w-30 was what they where using for oil changes.
Since then I`ve changed the oil myself, 5w-30 - at least I know what oil I am running :)
It is scary how often we are forced to simply trust the dealership knows what it is doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts