Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2014 Ford Focus ST these past couple days. I’m completely foreign to this kind of car. I’ve noticed that the oil temp in my dash will rise less than 5 minutes into driving from cold to the red line in the middle. However, the three gauges on the dash - the oil temp there is still cold and takes about 15-20 minutes to be in the middle. I’m really confused and thought about taking it into the shop because I thought the gauge in my dash is broken....am I wrong? Also does anyone else hear a ticking/clicking noise coming from the engine at idle - sounds like something is either hitting something plastic or a belt. Little insight?

·
Super Moderator
10,071 Posts
I just got a 2014 Ford Focus ST these past couple days. I’m completely foreign to this kind of car. I’ve noticed that the oil temp in my dash will rise less than 5 minutes into driving from cold to the red line in the middle. However, the three gauges on the dash - the oil temp there is still cold and takes about 15-20 minutes to be in the middle. I’m really confused and thought about taking it into the shop because I thought the gauge in my dash is broken....am I wrong? Also does anyone else hear a ticking/clicking noise coming from the engine at idle - sounds like something is either hitting something plastic or a belt. Little insight?
Pretty sure the gauge in the dash you are looking at is the water temperature; it comes up to temp quickly due to the turbo being water cooled and the exhaust manifold being water jacketed. It takes the oil a bit longer to warm up. The ticking/clicking you are hearing is the fuel injectors; direct injection is noisy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts