Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
014b9dd318

2015 ST. Just moved up to the Northwest from SoCal and wanted a recommendation for my next oil change. My baby only has 25k miles on it and I've had the oil changed by places like Jiffy Lube, but I'm about to change it myself (with a friend's help) for the first time.
I have more details below, but I wanted any thoughts as to:

1. What weight I should use. Seems like 5w30 is popular (5.7 quarts). I would like something that will work "okay" for both cold and warm weather.
2. Recommendation to filters?
3. I saw on another thread somewhere that you can send the oil out for analysis? Recommendation?

Because of my work, I drive it "full-time" a month at a time (e.g., one month on, one month off when I'm driving my truck), and by that I mean I only drive 3-4/week. Most trips are less than 4 miles during the week, with a 40/mile trip on the weekends. I wouldn't say I push it too hard.

Thanks!

Edited: Moved details below question.

Edit 2:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciated it. Ended up going with 5W-30 and an STP XL filter (next time I'll go with the FL-400S; I hate having leftover oil).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do 5W-30. What part of the NW though? Im in Auburn, WA and if you havent already, join thr NWST/RS facebook page

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I run 5W30 synthetic year round in the Northeast with either a 400S or Mobil1 filter and call it good.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
if you run the Motorcraft FL-910S or equivalent you can use a full 6 qts.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
The FL-910S is the OEM filter and the service fill is 5.7 quarts of oil. Did you mean the FL-400S?
yes sorry did I flip them around? My bad. One is longer than the other. But I can't keep the number straight apparently.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My recommendation is Mobil 1 5w30 and the motorcraft filter and never go back to jiffy lube again, ever. I work at a mechanic shop and I can honestly say that I have replaced more engines that were killed by jiffy lube than the owners themselves by poor maintenance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
One thing you didn't provide to help this topic is your temperatures. typically though, I wouldn't describe anywhere in the continental US as too extreme for the recommended 5W30. The owners manual should make a recommendation based on temperatures though. If anything, the ONLY thing I would consider is going to a 0W30, and that would be for pretty darn cold winter, but most likely not necessary. Don't sway from the 30 though; zero need.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
5w-30 or 0w-30 would be your best bets. 0w-40 works fine as well and in my experience is more readily available in stores than 0w-30 (and cheaper too). Whatever you end up getting, I recommend a full synthetic from a reputable brand like Mobil, Castrol, Amsoil, etc., and to look for an oil that meets the specs in the manual.

My ST currently runs Castrol 0w-40 European Blend, which meets the specifications listed by Ford in the owner's manual if you're wanting to go with a 0w oil (the 0w-30 Euro Blend does NOT meet these specs).I run it year round, although I only drive the ST when temps are above 40*F.

I (and many others) recommend Motorcraft filters. FL-910s is the factory filter, the FL-400s is larger and will let you fill a full 6qts. Motorcraft filters are great quality (made by Purolator I believe) and much cheaper than the other high end filters. $3 for the Motorcraft vs $9 for the Purolator I just put in my other car.

Blackstone Labs in Indiana can analyze a sample of your used oil and tell you how it is wearing and how long you can safely go between oil changes. Lots of shared oil analysis in the All In One Oil Thread, which should give you a good idea of what oils perform well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My recommendation is Mobil 1 5w30 and the motorcraft filter and never go back to jiffy lube again, ever. I work at a mechanic shop and I can honestly say that I have replaced more engines that were killed by jiffy lube than the owners themselves by poor maintenance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I hear that, sadly. We found that we're missing 3 of the long screws and 1 of the short screws (the torx screws), so I'm looking for replacements just because I want to make sure the cover is secure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing you didn't provide to help this topic is your temperatures. typically though, I wouldn't describe anywhere in the continental US as too extreme for the recommended 5W30. The owners manual should make a recommendation based on temperatures though. If anything, the ONLY thing I would consider is going to a 0W30, and that would be for pretty darn cold winter, but most likely not necessary. Don't sway from the 30 though; zero need.
I'm in Renton, WA (south of Seattle), which so far hasn't hit below 32 (except for a couple of days of snow in early Nov.?).

I do 5W-30. What part of the NW though? Im in Auburn, WA and if you havent already, join thr NWST/RS facebook page
Will definitely join the NWST/RS facebook page!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in Renton, WA (south of Seattle), which so far hasn't hit below 32 (except for a couple of days of snow in early Nov.?).

Will definitely join the NWST/RS facebook page!
NWST group is ok other then some teenager dramas, join knowing that they can get rowdy.

As far as oil type, I lived in NE canada, where its COLD, 0w30 was fine for there, so it'll be fine for here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
014b9dd318

2015 ST. Just moved up to the Northwest from SoCal and wanted a recommendation for my next oil change. My baby only has 25k miles on it and I've had the oil changed by places like Jiffy Lube, but I'm about to change it myself (with a friend's help) for the first time.
I have more details below, but I wanted any thoughts as to:

1. What weight I should use. Seems like 5w30 is popular (5.7 quarts). I would like something that will work "okay" for both cold and warm weather.
2. Recommendation to filters?
3. I saw on another thread somewhere that you can send the oil out for analysis? Recommendation?

Because of my work, I drive it "full-time" a month at a time (e.g., one month on, one month off when I'm driving my truck), and by that I mean I only drive 3-4/week. Most trips are less than 4 miles during the week, with a 40/mile trip on the weekends. I wouldn't say I push it too hard.

Thanks!

Edited: Moved details below question.

Edit 2:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciated it. Ended up going with 5W-30 and an STP XL filter (next time I'll go with the FL-400S; I hate having leftover oil).
It's funny, here you moved north to Washington from SoCal, while I moved south to SoCal from Washington. I want to move back home. :(

5W-30 Full Synthetic is more than sufficient for West of the North Cascades, together w/a Motorcraft Oil Filter. I use Amsoil 5W-30 myself.

BTW, "Stay the HELL away from those fast lube places. PLEASE!" :doh:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well a nice warm Whale Cum to you! Im in Auburn and make sure you join NWST/RS facebook group, awesome people o there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts