Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal oil presure at idle when the engineis fully warmed up? Seems alittle on the low side. Running 5 w30

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Normal oil pressure at idle once warmed up. And by '70s & '80s FIAT standards, it would be high, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,974 Posts
The oil pressure gauge is an inferred value and is based off of no real data. The oil pressure dummy light is controlled by a switch on the engine thats in an oil passage.

Lets not get into one of these multi page debates again, please.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The oil pressure gauge is an inferred value and is based off of no real data. The oil pressure dummy light is controlled by a switch on the engine thats in an oil passage.

Lets not get into one of these multi page debates again, please.
I thought it was oil temperature that was inferred off of oil pressure?

[edit] Oh, BOTH oil temperature and pressure are calculated.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,974 Posts
I thought it was oil temperature that was inferred off of oil pressure?
Both, actually. The only real value there is boost.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Both, actually. The only real value there is boost.
To be fair if Ford only put a boost gauge there then it would look silly, so they thought "yah lets just add some extra gauges and call it a day".

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
To be fair if Ford only put a boost gauge there then it would look silly, so they thought "yah lets just add some extra gauges and call it a day".
I like my gauges. They make me feel better. And worse sometimes, but mostly better.

Granted, I'm just a Neanderthal that thinks having gauges it cool because it makes me feel cool. I only barely know what all of this even means.

Reactions: Straightline

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've considered painting over the oil pressure gauge so it always says 60 just so I don't get nervous looking at that ridiculous thing @ idle and start chewing my fingernails at every stoplight

·
Super Moderator
3,974 Posts
Really??? What the hell good do those gauges do then, besides being another distraction and taking up space that could be for something more useful, like a toothpick holder? :rolleyes:
Decoration. That's all.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
206 Posts
The oil temperature gauge after some hard pulls goes up significantly, when I check the infrared temperature of the oil cooler is never higher than 190 degrees. The problem is when it get too high on the gauge, you automatically get reduced engine power.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,376 Posts
The oil temperature gauge after some hard pulls goes up significantly, when I check the infrared temperature of the oil cooler is never higher than 190 degrees. The problem is when it get too high on the gauge, you automatically get reduced engine power.
Reduced engine power on just the stock tune, I suppose?

If the coolant temp is really high, prob need to limit power on any tune (main input to oil temp dash reading).

Do you have aftermarket FMIC?

Have you tried logging ECT and other parameters to see what they're really doing?

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
206 Posts
Reduced engine power on just the stock tune, I suppose?

If the coolant temp is really high, prob need to limit power on any tune (main input to oil temp dash reading).

Do you have aftermarket FMIC?

Have you tried logging ECT and other parameters to see what they're really doing?
I have stock tune with racechip. It only raise the boost by masking out the real value to the ECU. But still using all the safeguards of the stock tune. Wagner Tuning IC, Mustang TB, oil cooler, Granatelli hot spark coils. Oil catch can, Turbosmart BOV, 3” intake with RS lid, all engine mounts. The coolant temp is normal, no more than half way(car gauge??). I don’t have a Cobb AP. I may be able to check it next time with an app. It run pretty good for about 10 track minutes then it starts dying out. If I keep the settings out of full boost I have no issues at all. It did 310 ft-lbs at dyno with a boost leak (Not intentional).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts