Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my car the oil pressure gauge spikes to wide open. Then after running a few minutes it will settle down to where it should be. I'm thinking that the sensor is going bad. I've checked the oil and everything is fine on that front and there's no water or metal in the oil

·
Registered
2017 ST1
1,030 Posts
When oil is cold (and thicker) the pump produces more pressure, and they sensor is picking up on it. Totally normal. When you need to worry about the sensor is when it reads the same all the time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
In our cars it'll literally run at or around 70psi when cold, then drop as it warms. Totally normal UNLESS it hits 0. If it doesn't hit 0 then you're fine unless it gets stuck like cbdallas said, which I've never heard happen before.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I know what you're saying, but the gauge should not just "spike" full high...that would be odd. Is this a recent change or is it doing what it's always doing. On mine, on the coldest of mornings, the needle will go to just shy of 70; but it certainly does not (and should not) peg high off scale.

·
Registered
629 Posts
the 2 oil gauges arent even a real gauge LOL. we just have an oil pressure switch that tells the computer whether there is or is not oil pressure. if there is no pressure at all, the oil light will come on. if there is some form of pressure, the oil light will be off.

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
the 2 oil gauges arent even a real gauge LOL. we just have an oil pressure switch that tells the computer whether there is or is not oil pressure. if there is no pressure at all, the oil light will come on. if there is some form of pressure, the oil light will be off.
Might not be as you say a "real" gauge but it is pretty accurate compared to my Defi gauges. Also the stock gauge doesn't read high enough. I've hit 100 psi on my oil pressure gauge. It does setting in around 15 psi at idle fully warmed up.

Sent from another garage.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I've had a few "backyard mechanic" friends of mine and a buddy who is a certified Sportbike mechanic ride in my car cold and tell me "that's not good dude" or "that can't be right man I'd have that looked at" because of how it is at almost 70psi cold. Then I tell them when warming up and when I get on it it'll fluctuate a bunch and at any point be anywhere in the gauge other than 0 and they insist that it isn't normal. One said "that's why I don't trust Fords" lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I'll try to get a picture later and post it when I start it.

·
Vendor
1,840 Posts
Perfectly normal.
Also as @UnfocusedST has said, and I've repeatedly tried to say, the stock model is pretty darn accurate if your oil viscosity is as recommended.

This is why they need to stop putting gauges in cars. People freak out over nothing. This is why the Coolant temp gauge is a dumby gauge sitting at normal until the car is basically actually overheating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts