Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a problem that just started.

My oil pressure on a cold startup goes up to the max pretty much. Once the engine has warmed up it drops down to a normal oil pressure. This is on a '17 with only 7k miles on it. I noticed it one morning as I was getting ready to go to work. It just started doing it out of the blue and has done it every cold startup since.

The oil level is fine and clear.

The dealership is giving me the runaround about this. Something obviously is not right even if it is just the sensor.

Anyone else have this problem or any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
No, the pressure is higher when oil is cold because of viscosity and when it warms the oil thins and the pressure drops. Completely normal.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That's pretty normal. Since the oil is cold on start up it thicker causing it to have a higher pressure. As it warms up the oil thins out. Mine will be at the line right before max and slowly drop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
oil is cold and thicker when you start the car. it’s fine!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Like others have said, nothing to worry about. I too have a '17, just turned over 10K today, and mine has done it since day one. I noticed it on the test drive and asked the dealer about it, they said its normal. I just stay under 3K and out of boost (or as little as possible) until my oil temp is at 150°F (which is right at the first mark).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Notice how the upper end of the gauge is NOT red like the lower end? That's because it isn't dangerous to see it that high. Plus, after driving it you'll see it go down pretty quickly once it starts to warm.

Not at all being rude OP, I too questioned it at first, but you gotta take into account things like this and suddenly you start realizing it is probably supposed to do that. I'm surprised your dealership didn't tell you this instantly...but they hire monkeys there it seems with most horror stories I've heard.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do understand what everyone is saying but without a doubt it was not going to max before on a cold start.

I am curious why it would have changed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I do understand what everyone is saying but without a doubt it was not going to max before on a cold start.

I am curious why it would have changed.
Has the oil been changed recently? I notice on mine if I get a tad over the recommended 5.7qts, it seems to read higher then usual when cold.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not that I'm calling you liar but my guess is it has done this from day 1 but you never noticed it. I also have a '17, 4k miles and mine does this every start-up, completely normal because of viscosity as I'm sure you've already deduced from everyone else's answers.

Also, this engine does NOT have an actual oil pressure sensor. So that high pressure reading you are seeing is actually just calculated based on engine parameters. It does have a pressure switch that will give you a CEL when the switch is tripped though. The OP gauge is entirely based off engine parameters and other engine sensors, it's a calculated value from the computer and sent to that digital gauge. Based off RPM, temps, load, idk what else lol. The oil temp gauge is also the same way, no actual temperature sensor for oil, but there is one for coolant.

Some newer engines though do actually have a legitimate pressure sensor though, this is because some newer engines have a variable displacement oil pump and to manage what rate the pump pumps at the computer needs to know the actual oil pressure. Here's an article about that if you're interested.
https://www.autoserviceworld.com/carsmagazine/1003794277-2/

Edit: Sorry, just saw that you said you're absolutely sure it didn't use to do this. I'm not sure why it originally wouldn't do this and then all of a sudden do it but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm not gonna worry about it since it seems everyone elses is doing the same thing.

thanks all

·
Registered
73 Posts
17 here with just a tick under 8K miles. I noticed the same thing early on too and instantly thought there was problem. Came here and saw the same thing you are "everything is normal". The hardest part for me is to stay out of boost until I see the oil temp raise close to normal operating temp. The wife, on the other hand, no matter how many times I tell her to stay out of boost until the oils up to temp, she hammers on it. Needless to say, I don't let her drive it that often haha.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Normal, you are just noticing it now. I bet you also didn't notice the "lifter tick" which is completely normal sound actually coming from a DI engine's injector's. Now that I've mentioned it, you'll be hyperattentive and hear it for the first time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Normal, you are just noticing it now. I bet you also didn't notice the "lifter tick" which is completely normal sound actually coming from a DI engine's injector's. Now that I've mentioned it, you'll be hyperattentive and hear it for the first time.
Funny thing is, after I did my first oil change I noticed it. Must have checked the dip stick 20 times over a 24 hour period. Came to the conclusion it was normal or I was about to see an CEL and just take it to the dealer. It still gets the best of me from time to time. My '89 5.0 has an extremely noisy valve train, so I'm some what use to a noisy valve train...lol.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
17 here with just a tick under 8K miles. I noticed the same thing early on too and instantly thought there was problem. Came here and saw the same thing you are "everything is normal". The hardest part for me is to stay out of boost until I see the oil temp raise close to normal operating temp. The wife, on the other hand, no matter how many times I tell her to stay out of boost until the oils up to temp, she hammers on it. Needless to say, I don't let her drive it that often haha.
Try tuning your car THEN trying to stay out of boost...it gets even harder :lol: :lol: It's a daily struggle in my car, but my right foot is highly trained now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
@brian60 It's hard enough with just the drop in and new IC....I can't imagine the restraint once I get the tune in haha

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
@brian60 It's hard enough with just the drop in and new IC....I can't imagine the restraint once I get the tune in haha
Depending on who you get to tune your car (don't use the Cobb tunes that come free with your Accessport - they are trash) if you go with someone like Stratified and get the aggressive throttle mapping option, or someone like Unleashed who focuses on hard hitting torque curves...it gets stupid difficult for a few weeks until you get it down. Like I'm talking chirping tires pulling out of red lights because you forget :lol: :RockOn:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Depending on who you get to tune your car (don't use the Cobb tunes that come free with your Accessport - they are trash) if you go with someone like Stratified and get the aggressive throttle mapping option, or someone like Unleashed who focuses on hard hitting torque curves...it gets stupid difficult for a few weeks until you get it down. Like I'm talking chirping tires pulling out of red lights because you forget :lol: :RockOn:
Can confirm.

Intercooler and Unleashed tune only on my car, and that 2k revs mat it in second gear to squall tire all the way to redline is SO fun.

This in on 75% MP4S tires, too. She trapped nearly 104, so it's making good power on 93. I wonder how it'd do on E30....

Back to the subject at hand, high oil pressure isnt's any big deal unless it's below freezing outside. Rule of thumb is, if the engine coolant temp in in the middle of the gauge, she's ready to get romped.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The op might check out why all oil filters have a 'bypass' valve.
The bypass valve in the oil filter is for startup when the oil is thicker and the oil pressures are high.
So the oil bypasses the filter
(which if it had to pass through the filter might both damage it and cause the oil pressure to be even higher.)
I agree the op just never noticed the oil pressure was really high at startup.
(And yes it IS even higher for cold startup in colder temperatures)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts