Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody not use the oil pan on the bottom front of the car? I did not have one on my last car (chevy aveo) and it did not seem to effect anything. The pan is just such a pain to take on and off and time consuming and it'd be so much easier if I didn't have to have it on. I do not see any problems leaving it off. Just seeing if anyone else has done the same thing:)

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Left mine off, serves no purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt that. The engineers at Ford wouldn't have put it there if there wasn't a purpose. However I'm not an engineer so and haven't seen anything that states exactly why it's there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Realistically its there for aerodynamics. Other than that, useless piece of cardboard... speed 3 doesnt have one, same platform

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Realistically its there for aerodynamics. Other than that, useless piece of cardboard... speed 3 doesnt have one, same platform

The Speed3 was on the C1 platform, the Focus is now on the Global C platform that replaced the C1

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Its there to keep debris out and work with the grille shutters for the MPG rating. There is no other purpose for it. Your car will run much cooler with it off. Get rid of it during the summer and put it back on in winter if you need to keep snow out. Mine went in the trash when I did my first oil change.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I am about to do my first oil change and probably won't be putting it back on... got first 3 oil changes free so haven't had to do it yet. The engine cover (drip pan) will probably not be going back on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you talking about the lower engine cover? If so leave it on. Ford put it there for a reason. I use an electric screw driver and can take it off in less than 30 seconds.

I don't have an electric screwdriver lol. and I don't really wanna buy one. I had my chevy 7 years w/out a pan/cover thing and never had any problems. I feel like it's some sort of appearance issue as well as keeping oil or anything else that leaks out of the engine off the roads maybe.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its there to keep debris out and work with the grille shutters for the MPG rating. There is no other purpose for it. Your car will run much cooler with it off. Get rid of it during the summer and put it back on in winter if you need to keep snow out. Mine went in the trash when I did my first oil change.
SNOW?? We caroliners don't know what that is lol.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Been running without it for 3 years. No problems.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Been running without it for 3 years. No problems.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
They also put the focus badge on the back of the car for a reason... But I removed mine and the car has not grenaded {yet}... Keeping fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
So with that theory, why tune the car? Ford's tune is there for a reason right?

Its just an engine shield. Take it off if you want, won't harm anything

When people says it serves no purpose that is wrong. Just because they don't know the purpose they assume it has none. Everything on the car from the factory has a purpose. Some functional and some cosmetic. I believe it is more function over form. However without proper testing I don't truly know. Will the far fall apart if your remove it? No. Can it affect aerodynamics? Possibly yes. Since it is unknown what it truly does I say leave it alone. It's not harming anything and the only times it's seen is during maintenance.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
When people says it serves no purpose that is wrong. Just because they don't know the purpose they assume it has none. Everything on the car from the factory has a purpose. Some functional and some cosmetic. I believe it is more function over form. However without proper testing I don't truly know. Will the far fall apart if your remove it? No. Can it affect aerodynamics? Possibly yes. Since it is unknown what it truly does I say leave it alone. It's not harming anything and the only times it's seen is during maintenance.

Its a piece of overpriced cardboard.... lol... mine has been off for 2 years, no problem.

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Its a piece of overpriced cardboard.... lol... mine has been off for 2 years, no problem.

I find it odd that you call it cardboard. I drilled a hole in mine for my do catch can drain and found the inner section to be a thin plastic. No cardboard to be seen. Obviously it's your car and you do it what you want. It doesn't hurt to leave it. Mostly like it benefits the car more than you think to have it on.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts