Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently noticed that there's a super small oil leak where the vvt solenoid gasket are on the valve cover. Anyone else have this issue? It's a 2018 Ford focus St. I wonder if it's a defect or something.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
2,384 Posts
I just recently noticed that there's a super small oil leak where the vvt solenoid gasket are on the valve cover. Anyone else have this issue? It's a 2018 Ford focus St. I wonder if it's a defect or something. View attachment 402104
I've had that happen, and had to take it to the dealer to have it resealed - if the oil is indeed coming from the VVT solenoid.

You're still likely under power train warranty (5yr/60k miles), so this should be covered - unless you're outside that threshold now.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,385 Posts
Those can look moist a long time before getting a bad leak.
Does it look shiny or do you see drips anywhere?

Kinda hard to tell from photo, but looks like more oil on the firewall side than typical.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I havent gotten a Haynes for the Ecoboost platform yet, prob should...but didnt see anything on YT about this.
Anyone do this seal repair? I'm guessing its likely just cheap seals accessed from opening the valve cover. I've actually had this since year one and I bought my 2016 brand new off the lot. Its just leaked very slowly over the years and I wipe it down, then it just looks similar to this (seeping vs a leak) over time.

Now that I'm going BT, I'm curious if the increase in manifold pressure will impact this and I need to remedy it. From what i hear its extremely common on these 2.0L ecoboosts.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,868 Posts
I havent gotten a Haynes for the Ecoboost platform yet, prob should...but didnt see anything on YT about this.
Anyone do this seal repair? I'm guessing its likely just cheap seals accessed from opening the valve cover. I've actually had this since year one and I bought my 2016 brand new off the lot. Its just leaked very slowly over the years and I wipe it down, then it just looks similar to this (seeping vs a leak) over time.

Now that I'm going BT, I'm curious if the increase in manifold pressure will impact this and I need to remedy it. From what i hear its extremely common on these 2.0L ecoboosts.
If you run a stock intake or focus RS intake with your big turbo, proper venturi vacuum will be applied to the crankcase under max boost (more air into the turbo, stronger venturi on the PCV port).

This is massively overlooked. When you put a big diameter intake pipe on. Air mass velocity slows down and so does the vacuum on the PCV port.

I have a thread about adapting the stock and RS intakes onto big turbo setups.

·
Super Moderator
8,868 Posts
should go check my '18 while i'm still under the warranty mileage. so if i were to find some seepage like that, the dealer would reseal it under warranty?
It's always recommended to look under your hood, check fluid levels, etc periodically.

What I will say is, typically a leak is defined as something that forms a drip. The level of dampness in the first pic of this thread probably isn't enough to warrant a claim through ford. But that may vary dealer to dealer and how much risk they want to place with ford potentially bouncing the warranty claim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you run a stock intake or focus RS intake with your big turbo, proper venturi vacuum will be applied to the crankcase under max boost (more air into the turbo, stronger venturi on the PCV port).

This is massively overlooked. When you put a big diameter intake pipe on. Air mass velocity slows down and so does the vacuum on the PCV port.

I have a thread about adapting the stock and RS intakes onto big turbo setups.
I've been running the COBB intake for years... i believe 1 - 2 years max when i tossed on the COBB intake along with the bigger FMIC and other parts. Been FBO/E30 for years now too. I just got the cPE exhale kit (with HKS bov) installed this weekend. I'm basically waiting for the BNR71 to come in. Before I go buy a new clutch and fuel upgrades (hpfp likely), Im going to get the tune on the BT and stock fuel and just enjoy it with a power bump for now. I want to make sure I'm not going to make a bigger issue of these leaky seals once this happens.

do you guys know if those ventilated oil caps are good? I almost bought one thinking it'll relieve pressure especially with the BT/higher psi, but I run front and rear catch cans and didnt want to start opening up the crankcase adding troubleshooting variables lol. Thanks for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
8,868 Posts
@R3dR0cketR3dR0cket a large number of people do run intakes without issue, my point being the larger diameter tube reduces the strength of the vacuum that the top side PCV can draw while under load.

The PCV system works 2 directions. When the intake manifold is under vacuum, crankcase air is being drawn from the turbo Inlet pipe, through the crankcase, through the block plate and into the manifold. As soon as the intake sees boost, a check valve closes in the block plate and shuts that side off. From this point on you are relying on high speed air passing by the port on the turbo inlet tube to draw vapors from.the crankcase.

The perfect scenario is to have the crankcase under a very minuscule amount of vacuum under both scenarios. When you increase the tube diameter, even under high boost you aren't drawing as much vacuum. You are also pushing more blow-by into the crankcase to handle.

I think those breathers are a terrible idea. Because, say your PCV is capable of maintaining that very slight vacuum on the case. As soon as you create a larger hole (this cap breather), you can no longer pull that vacuum on the case.

Breathers only have their place on loose race engines that have sloppy tolerances and an enormous amount of blowby that the factory PCV could never handle in the first place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts