Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question regarding the oil filter. The stock filter for the '17 Focus ST is the Motorcraft FL-910s. Is there a larger Motorcraft filter that also fits? The 910 seems rather small...

And remember, friends don't let friends buy Fram.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They both have the same mounting point stuff (aka seal area and thread), but the 400 is longer and in the ST this causes it to hang lower:

FL-400 Specifications:
Thread Inside Diameter (in.): 3/4"-16
Outside Diameter Top (in.): 2.98"
Outside Diameter Bottom (in.): 2.98"
Length (in.): 4.14"
Spin-On Filter: Yes
Bypass Valve: YES
Color: White
Burst Pressure (PSI): 250 psi
Pressure Relief Valve: YES
PSI Relief: 20 PSI
Micron Rating: 80%@20um
Height (in.): 4.14"
Seal Outside Diameter (in.): 2.75"
Seal Inside Diameter (in.): 2.40"
Anti-drainback Valve: YES

FL-910S Specifcations:
Thread Inside Diameter (in.):3/4"-16
Outside Diameter Top (in.):3.15"
Outside Diameter Bottom (in.):3.15"
Length (in.): 3.36"
Spin-On Filter:Yes
Bypass Valve:YES
Color:White
Burst Pressure (PSI): 250 PSI
Pressure Relief Valve:YES
PSI Relief:14.5 PSI
Micron Rating: 80%@20um
Height (in.):3.36"
Seal Outside Diameter (in.): 2.75"
Seal Inside Diameter (in.): 2.40"
Anti-drainback Valve:YES

Pics of the two and a teardown here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3019900

My opinion: if you use a good oil over a decent oil change interval, the FL-910s is fine.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
For ease of use (6L vs 5.7L) I'm quite a fan of the fl-400s instead of the stock size. Who wants a bottle of 5-30 with .3qts sitting around lol especially when it is 7+ dollars a quart at times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whack and Brian60 - Thank you for such a quick response and for such detailed information!!

The only difference is the "PSI Relief". One reports 20 and the other reports 14.5. What is this and why the difference?

·
Registered
102 Posts
PSI Relief is the PSI at which the bypass valve begins to open, and allows unfiltered oil to reach the engine. This is normally an extreme case when the oil is very cold or the filter media is clogged.

And this PSI measurement has more to do with the difference in 'Oil In' vs 'Oil Out' at the filter, not overall system PSI which can hit 60 to 65psi before the oil pump relief valve opens.

Reactions: 01Sportwagon

·
Registered
102 Posts
For ease of use (6L vs 5.7L) I'm quite a fan of the fl-400s instead of the stock size. Who wants a bottle of 5-30 with .3qts sitting around lol especially when it is 7+ dollars a quart at times.
I hear you on that. I'm planning to use the .3qts to top off mid interval. And Red Line is about 11$/qt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...And this PSI measurement has more to do with the difference in 'Oil In' vs 'Oil Out' at the filter, not overall system PSI which can hit 60 to 65psi before the oil pump relief valve opens.
This is EXACTLY the information I was looking for. And you answered my next questions before I even asked! You, Sir, are a rock star!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
BTW in my experience on my car, using the FL-400S with a full 6 quarts results in a slight overfill, i.e. a little over the top of the hole. I prefer to fill to midway between the top of the hash mark and the hole. And remember, to get an accurate read you need to run the engine after a fill and then let the oil drain back in to the pan for ~15 minutes.

If you don't, watch how much higher your oil level will read the next day after the car has been sitting overnight.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: brian60
1 - 9 of 9 Posts