Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a really stupid thing today. I was prepping my turbo for the install this weekend, and while making sure all the fittings were tight, I snapped off the boost fitting for the oil feed line.

I'm gonna get it out with a hand-bolt extractor.

I really wanted to get this installed this weekend. I have an anodized blue aluminum fitting (same size, same oil restrictor) that will be here Friday. Is there any reason that this would not be a good idea to use? (e.g. the oil line and the aluminum cause some kind of chemical corrosion, or the aluminum will not hold up to the heat)

·
2,851 Posts
No Issues with using aluminum other than it'll Snap easier than the brass did, so be careful.

·
Administrator
11,362 Posts
Its a npt fitting. National Pipe TAPER. So it locks in when its tight. I'd still use a thread sealant. Try not to snap it again. Lol

Reactions: jwuonog

·
2,851 Posts
Its a npt fitting. National Pipe TAPER. So it locks in when its tight. I'd still use a thread sealant. Try not to snap it again. Lol
This one is an ISO flare, like a brake line. Still not very tight.

·
Administrator
11,362 Posts
This one is an ISO flare, like a brake line. Still not very tight.
Whoops, I have NPT on the brain. Good catch. OP snapped one already, and bought another of weaker metal. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turbo is on! I took my time and did it over two days, about 22 hours total. I did it by myself, with the help of my wife to get the turbo mounted to the studs. No leaks or anything!

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some thoughts so far on basemap from Alan @EdgeAutosport.com :

-Tial's wastegate springs are very inaccurate. Not the first time I've seen this. My "17.4" psi spring was going to 25. My "14.5" psi spring is holding 20 psi.
-This turbo spools very fast. Just a little slower than stock. Maybe full boost before 3k. Traction is hard to get.
-Dump is super loud. I forgot how loud these things are.

·
2,851 Posts
I wish i could get firsthand experience with it. You aren't anywhere near Ohio, are you? Lol

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish i could get firsthand experience with it. You aren't anywhere near Ohio, are you? Lol
I am in MD...

Speaking of which, anyone know this guy? He has a Focusst.org license plate frame.
I chatted with him once, he used to live near me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts