Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few different track days and trying my best to keep it cool alone, I have realized this. I ghetto cowled my hood, drilled out the grill and still could only get about 10 minutes into a decent track pace before having to run a slow cool down lap.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
458 Posts
After a few different track days and trying my best to keep it cool alone, I have realized this. I ghetto cowled my hood, drilled out the grill and still could only get about 10 minutes into a decent track pace before having to run a slow cool down lap.

Any other ideas?
What all do you already have done to the car? I see lots of brands but not what parts you have.

Oil cooler will help (if I was doing it again I would try to get mishimoto to substitute a larger cooler with their kit (maybe the double 19-row instead of the single 19-row?). They also have a new radiator out which should help but is still a little unproven with solid data on track. A big help would be to improve airflow by opening the grill (as you did) and making some ducting to actually make sure the air goes through the oil cooler and radiator and not around (especially after the AGS are removed). FMIC is really helpful for charge temps, but I'm guessing you already have one of those.

Similiar info in this recent thread as well with pics and links to mine and other's setups.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-road-racing/50068-mishimoto-radiator-track-review.html

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. For reference, I'm Stage 3, Cobb ot3 93 tune, fswerks ic, cpe alpha intake, depo hard charge, forced dp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the radiator might be a waste, but supports my original statement. OC is a necessity.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the link. For reference, I'm Stage 3, Cobb ot3 93 tune, fswerks ic, cpe alpha intake, depo hard charge, forced dp.

Ya, unfortunately making more torque/power doesn't help with keeping it cool, when it already struggles at stock power levels ;)

Sounds like the radiator might be a waste, but supports my original statement. OC is a necessity.

Ya, it should be a little better, but obviously isn't a fix all solution like many would hope. Also, if you haven't been running your heater on full blast you can do that do get some extra cooling power. It's a pretty effective auxiliary radiator, but it's not particularly fun in the cabin even with the vents pointed towards the windows.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Any other ideas?
I'm considering an oil cooler as well. After about 10min, just like you, my oil temp gets dangerously close to 300F (probably around 260F) and I have to ease off, which is aggravating.
My IAT is fine I think (I have a Steeda FMIC) and everything else seems in order but the oil temp is becoming an issue.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you haven't cut out your grill, I'd highly suggest that. Even if you do buy the oil cooler.

The cheap cowel was worth it; it was free. I used some washers I found in my garage and pulled the rubber gasket at the top of the engine bay. It couldn't have hurt, and costed me nothing. I will do it again next year.

Bonus, coweling it basically eliminates the gap between the hood and the front bumper at the latch and looks a little better. I think it give the hood a little more aggressive look and I like it, but the entire purpose is to give hot air a place to escape.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's a member on this forum that has done quite a bit of track time and cooling upgrades including and oil cooler, aftermarket radiator, hood vents etc... I think he still has problems when its hot out. I'd throw you a link but I couldn't find it, maybe someone else can find it and link it???

·
Super Moderator
8,023 Posts
There's a member on this forum that has done quite a bit of track time and cooling upgrades including and oil cooler, aftermarket radiator, hood vents etc... I think he still has problems when its hot out. I'd throw you a link but I couldn't find it, maybe someone else can find it and link it???
Well its probably Kevin, since Danmad32 is already in this thread, between the two of them I don't know who else you would need, lol.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If you are going to do a lot of track days I would say definitely do an oil cooler. I only do about 2 a year and after my second one I put one on. The way I looked at it is, I was enjoying about half the track day because about halfway through each session I would have to START taking cool down laps, and do one every 3 laps. So a track day is $400, I was losing at least $100 worth of fun because cool down laps suck. I pieced together my own OC for about $400 and it will "pay for itself" in track time after 4 track days. It was a night and day difference...other than I now have brake cooling (or it might be my braking style, idk) as the limiting factor.

I have details in how I did mine in my build thread if ur interested. To my knowledge I am the only person who has ever mounted one in front of the crash bar.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any pics of the coweling ?
Not of exactly how I did it, but it was simple.

Just unbolt the hood and add in 5 washers or so. Just make sure you can securely fasten the hood back on.

You can see how the front gap is much smaller than the other ST in the foreground, and the large gap at the rear.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Hood risers"
Essentially. Just have to make sure that you pull the rubber gasket that runs the length of the black plastic cowel cover, otherwise it will still be just about sealed.

When I parked after racing and before I popped my hood, I could see the heat venting from the back. Also, on cool nights it can cause the windshield to fog over, so I do know heat exits it. I just don't have a way to prove/show that heat is dissipating at track speeds.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
That's cool and all and I can't say that the hood riders aren't functional but the fact that the cowl is a high pressure zone doesn't make sense for air to be moving out but IN at speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I run the passive Mishimoto oil cooler on track which helps..

Make sure you do a cooling lap at the end of each session. Just a casual drive around the track post checker.

In the paddock, I let the car idle for a few minutes with its hood up to help vent heat as well.

20160319_142908.jpg

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I run the passive Mishimoto oil cooler on track which helps..

Make sure you do a cooling lap at the end of each session. Just a casual drive around the track post checker.

In the paddock, I let the car idle for a few minutes with its hood up to help vent heat as well.

View attachment 206305
Does that tow strap work? Looks like a very simple solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 104 Posts