Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a G-Plus 16 Row oil cooler last week. Had some leaking issues with the sandwich plate and I was also getting this weird whistle/humming noise starting at about 2000rpm increasing in frequency as I would accelerate. It's hard to describe the sound...almost like oil is struggling to move thru the system. I took the whole thing out yesterday, tightened down all the connections, re-ran the lines and torqued the sandwich plate bolt to 30 lbs (recommended by Mishimoto YouTube video). I also installed rubber grommets between all of the mounting bolts and the frame as well as a rubber strip on the bottom of the cooler itself where it rests on the bumper. Nothing rubs and my oil pressure seems to be in normal operating range. I'm still getting the noise even after all of these double checks and fixes. Anybody have this nose after an oil cooler install? Is this normal?? Is it possible I have a faulty oil filter? It's driving me crazy, I'm afraid something is not right so I don't hammer on the car and let's face it...thats really boring! Lol Please help 馃檹馃徏

Registered
Any chance the noise is wind running through the fins of the cooler itself? Maybe that's causing the whistle?
I guess if you are getting the noise if you just rev the engine while sitting that blows my theory out of the water.
Do you have an AP? Can you look at the actual oil pressure?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any chance the noise is wind running through the fins of the cooler itself? Maybe that's causing the whistle?
I guess if you are getting the noise if you just rev the engine while sitting that blows my theory out of the water.
Do you have an AP? Can you look at the actual oil pressure?
I thought that could have been a possibility too as I just did a grill delete but because it increases with RPM I blew that theory out of the water myself lol I do have an oil pressure guage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate you passing that post on but I have actually posted on it lol no response as well the I have installed rubber anywhere metal is touching metal and no fix. It is possible it's a faulty oil filter so I'm going to replace that tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
Does the cooler have a thermostatic valve to regulate flow, or is it straight thru?

Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
It has a thermostatic value. Product description says 176 degrees.
I wonder if there's any chance one of those valves could be defective causing some noise?

What made me think about it was I put a valved transmission cooler on an oldish Chevy with a 4L60E for towing, but I think in reality it caused a rebuilt trans to fail early because oil was too cold in winter, possibly defective valve too far open in that case. For several reasons it got traded so I didn't get a chance to tear it apart.

How's your oil temperature actually doing, comparing pre and post install numbers?

Noise comes from vibrations, so if the system is sealed, it's fluid noise or wind noise, since you said you went over all brackets, etc very carefully.

Did you try to get a video to contact the supplier yet?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if there's any chance one of those valves could be defective causing some noise?

What made me think about it was I put a valved transmission cooler on an oldish Chevy with a 4L60E for towing, but I think in reality it caused a rebuilt trans to fail early because oil was too cold in winter, possibly defective valve too far open in that case. For several reasons it got traded so I didn't get a chance to tear it apart.

How's your oil temperature actually doing, comparing pre and post install numbers?

Noise comes from vibrations, so if the system is sealed, it's fluid noise or wind noise, since you said you went over all brackets, etc very carefully.

Did you try to get a video to contact the supplier yet?
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to help me try to fix the problem. You've offered a lot of solutions and your experience which is really nice of you.

I guess it could very well be a valve. Only way to know is if I replaced the sandwich plate unfortunately and they're like $100 for a good one. That will definitely be last resort but could happen.

I bought the cooler kit off Amazon...I could return it but it would be a pain in the ass to pull it all out again not to mention it's full of oil. As far as contacting the manufacturer of course G-Plus is a Chinese company and a Google search does not yield any company website results only Amazon listings.

Im going to try a simple fix today and replace my oil filter. It didn't make the sound after the original install. I was leaking some oil around the sandwich plate so I took off the filter and tightened (torque speced) down the nut that holds the sandwich plate to the block. I had embarrassingly installed the oil filter too tight so I had to squeeze on it pretty tight with pliers to get it off and I crunched it. Subsequently I had to replace it and that's when the noise started. So it is possible I have a faulty oil filter. 馃馃徎 Hopefully that fixes the problem otherwise it looks like I'll be getting a new plate.

Registered
Here hoping it's just the valve in the oil filter. Try the easy one first 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here hoping it's just the valve in the oil filter. Try the easy one first 馃憤
I just wanted to update you. I swapped out the oil filter yesterday with a Mobil 1 filter. I do still get the noise, however it isn't as noticeable. I was also very disappointed to see a very small amount of oil still leaking from the sandwich plate. I think eventually I will just get a new sandwich plate. There isn't much room for the plate to seat and with the ports on either side for gauges (which I'll never use because I have a COBB Accessport) they make it very difficult for seating. There's really only one way it can face and it makes the line connections tight against the radiator fan housing. So definitely a new plate, just gotta find a portless, thermostatic one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts