Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 'OIL CHANGE REQUIRED' in the info display on my commute home last night. Odd b/c it has only been ~2400 miles since my last oil change, full synth.
It has been about 10K miles since the change before that, so I figure they forgot to reset.

I checked the dipstick this morning when the engine was cold, and the level is right on the top of the hashmarks. I noticed the oil looked a little dirty already and had a fuel (gasoline) odor.

I checked my wife's Hyundai and the oil smelled approximately the same.

Is there cause for concern here?

·
Registered
613 Posts
No. About any used oil is going to smell like gasoline--it just has a strong, overpowering odor. Sounds like they just forgot to reset the oil life monitor last change.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You are fine. Especially during the winter it is normal for enough fuel to condense in the oil to give it a gasoline smell. A longer drive will boil it off - but it will come back. Oil color really doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. About any used oil is going to smell like gasoline--it just has a strong, overpowering odor. Sounds like they just forgot to reset the oil life monitor last change.
You are fine. Especially during the winter it is normal for enough fuel to condense in the oil to give it a gasoline smell. A longer drive will boil it off - but it will come back. Oil color really doesn't mean anything.
Ok, I was worried I was going to have to get it towed to the dealer. I went ahead and reset the oil change interval.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ok, I read through their FAQ's and, as far as I can tell, the only way to pull a sample is to drain it out from the oil pan? If so, I'm definitely not going to do that.

BTW, the FAQ's on their site are pretty funny.
Do you drain your oil from the top of the engine?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I read through their FAQ's and, as far as I can tell, the only way to pull a sample is to drain it out from the oil pan? If so, I'm definitely not going to do that.

Do you drain your oil from the top of the engine?
yes, i always tip my car over and let it drain out of the top
I was going to repeatedly take out the dipstick and scrape off a couple drops of oil until the sample bottle was full...

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts

LOL do it the next oil change :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts