Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine just popped on only after 2500 highway miles. Last time, just over 3K.

Is this indicator only by mileage, or is there some sort of viscosity/quality sensor in the pan?

5-30 M1and a 400S already to use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I believe it takes into account what type of driving is done (e.g. extended idling, mostly highway, lots of hard acceleration with stop and go) and adjusts accordingly.

I've also wondered - does this reset itself with a battery change or an IPC writing (for things like adding global open/close, disabling horn honk, etc.)? I've been expecting mine to come on for some time now and it hasn't.

Either way, I think you're better off just sticking to a moderately conservative mile marker for changes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
What @Melchior said.

Considering the maintenance minder is usually way too liberal, if it's telling you to change it at 2500 and 3k intervals, you need to change it. There are a lot more factors that go into actual (not computer calculation) oil intervals than the oil itself, including fuel dilution, acidity, moisture content. All which are exaggerated in conditions where oil temp doesnt sit at 200 degrees for extended periods. Those of us that have long commutes don't have to worry about that.
Also, you mentioned running mobil 1, i think all of their oils are SN-plus rated now to help with LSPI, which removes most of the calcium additive from the oil. The only downside to removing the calcium from the oil is calcium is a good detergent for oil, and i think it dealt with some of the acidity but i could be wrong.

In short, change your oil, it's way cheaper than an engine replacement.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I find this interesting. For previous oil changes I used Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic, but another forum member pointed out to me that it does not meet Ford's oil spec, which my 2017 Supplemental Manual specifies as "WSS-M2C913-C" for 5W 30.

I called Mobil 1 Customer Service, and they told me that Ford oil spec WSS-M2C946-A is the latest that they have at this time. As far as I can tell, there are two choices if you intend on using oil that complies with Ford oil spec WSS-M2C913-C: Ford Motorsport oil, and Royal Purple. I have not found any other commercially available lubricants that meet the spec.

Can someone please correct me if I have bad information?

·
Registered
209 Posts
my two cents

First thing I noticed is this in the ST supplement, is there a bulletin that supersedes it?

Second thing I noticed is this...

Motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines are also acceptable.

But I’m sure your question will spark a bajillion responses, so let’s see what happens...

EDIT...I pulled the 2013/15/16/17/18 supplements (cause I’m on the road an bored) and its kinda funny. They ALL call for 946A, except the ‘17 which gives two; 948B or 913C...how strange is that?!?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but when you changed oil did you reset the computer by holding the gas and break in ACC mode?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think the oil change interval indicator comes up (on all Focii) at 7,500 miles from the last counter reset. I don't believe that it has any predictive calculations that change the interval, but I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On my 2018, I reset the oil monitor the day I changed it back in September. Since then I've put about 7000 miles on it. The oil life monitor right now shows 31% remaining, so at least with my driving style, it's going with 10k miles. My 2017 Escape and 2016 Transit 350 are the same way, and those have a LOT more stop and go than I get in the Focus... So, it appears that I'm getting 10k for the oil life monitor regardless of the oil I put in it (Amsoil signature series) or how we drive the vehicles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine just popped on only after 2500 highway miles. Last time, just over 3K.

Is this indicator only by mileage, or is there some sort of viscosity/quality sensor in the pan?

5-30 M1and a 400S already to use.
Mine just did this also and I use Mobil 1. I'm almost positive I reset the oil counter, it was not on at the time though. Mine only gets changed but once a year, since it only sees about 2k per year. Maybe a time thing is also factored in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I ran into the royal purple/fomoco thing. I believe the newer oil standards do supersede the one listed in the supplemental manual. I'll stick with royal purple though.

I changed mine at 5,000 miles. I'm almost at 10,000 and I'm about to change it again. My light has not come on either time but I'm about to do a track day.

Also, where is this percent life indicator? I see no such thing in my '18 ST1 menus.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I ran into the royal purple/fomoco thing. I believe the newer oil standards do supersede the one listed in the supplemental manual. I'll stick with royal purple though.

I changed mine at 5,000 miles. I'm almost at 10,000 and I'm about to change it again. My light has not come on.

Also, where is this percent life indicator? I see no such thing in my '18 ST1 menus.
There's no menu to read it, unfortunately. You'll need Torque Pro and an OBD2 reader (Bluetooth/Wifi/cable) to get the current value.

It's a PID you can setup in Torque Pro that reads the computer's value:

22054b
Long Name: Oil Life Remaining
Short Name: Oil Life Remain
Minimum: 0.0
Maximum: 100.0
scale x1
unit type: %
Equation: A
OBD Header to use: 7e0

·
Registered
210 Posts
So I actually just went to wally world to pick up oil. They didn't have 5w30 royal purple (of course). Researching again. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performamce has the 946-A spec. I was trying to find out if I could use the 0w-30 with the 953-A spec. Got frustrated and bought the Extended Performance. Well, had I kept scrolling in the ford supplement I'd have seen the cold climate oil is 0W-30 with the 953-A spec. Well, next time. I don't live in the cold but my commute is short so the lower the cold viscosity the better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had my 2015 ST3 since Sep2015, never once have I seen the change oil indicator come on. I change at 7500 on the dot and have had no issues. Like the others said, I didnt even know I had an indicator on my car. ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mine's close to 10k, sometimes maybe 1k sooner, so there's some kind of thinking behind it.

0W oil is great for finding any oil leaks! Tried it when it first came out on a '83 Subaru. I found out that it had all of the leaks. Went on a camping trip with my ex about 3 hours away (trip was nuts—going there, a fake cop in NH pulled her over in her '85 Monte SS and I think I ended up scaring him off when I realized that he was fake from my pulled over position behind him almost out of line of sight and came up to him fairly quickly). Got to Middle of Nowhere VT and was down a little on oil. I can't find anything that wasn't 2-stroke, but I figured I can make it a few days until we get back to civilization. Anyway, coming back, some white trash tool in a Grand Cherokee started screwing with her presumably because she was a hot woman in a MC SS, so I started screwing with him. We ended up reaching speeds of about 110 (redline in 4th, which was 20 mph/1000 rpm or "P" in MPH as it had one of those stupid 85 mph speedos) for a while before I got the rage back in its cage which we were both lucky for. Get home and pick up some oil. Smoke comes out of the dipstick tube. Pour in a quart. Nothing. Poured another. Nothing. Third quart finally registers. It was a 4-quart sump. Car ran for another 20k or so before a tree fell on it while I was driving down the street. It still ran for a whole summer with a cracked radiator making me shut it off in traffic to keep the needle just under the red (with the heat blasting—not fun!) and it ran fine when I junked it. This was a little over 20 years ago. The 1990 Legacy that replaced it got beat on every day. Redline in the first 3 gears onto the highway with the coolant temp still low, J-turns, high speed run across country, whatever. Burnt a valve at 250k and tore the engine down to find the top end looked nearly new and the bottom end bearings would have probably been fine for another 100k. Mobil 1 and 7.5k oil changes (more or less—EJs always ate a little oil, even the 2.2s, which were much better than the later POS 2.5s, so it was almost more like just a filter change by 7.5k). Modern synthetic oils are amazing and way too many people get worked up about brands and standards. Sure, these were less stressed engines, but they also weren't built as well with either none or with primitive computer controls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts