Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Who has proof of it helping? I have heard so much back and forth but the fact is no one has been running a catch can long enough and can show that they have clean valves.

I don't believe that a catch can will keep the valves clean. please prove me wrong.

I didn't waste my money on a catch can. I spent it on WMI, I cleaned my valves after I installed WMI, and my valves have stayed clean.

catch cans cost a lot of money, spend your money on something that works, just my thought
I have two Radium OCC's along with their breather plate. It was my first mod and did it within a couple weeks of my getting the car. If were to do it all over again, I would do just as you're saying, I'd still install the Radium breather plate but run WMI rather than catch cans.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There is evidence to support that your valves will have slightly less buildup with a catch can installed. Engineering Explained has a great video with real evidence. However the issue is that it doesn’t completely stop buildup, most of the oil mist passes through the OCC. So you still need to clean your valves almost as frequently.

That was my tipping point, I have to keep emptying this stupid catch can and I have to clean the valves anyway. What’s the point?

Yes OCCs do function, but what people here need to realize is that just because there is stuff is coming out of your catch can that does not mean that it is accomplishing anything meaningful.
Ah you're preventing it. As if the doctor say you have stage 1 cancer but with treatment there's 70% possibility you will survive. It's the same logic. Even if you catch quarter of impurities every 3k miles that's less junk on your engine. Every 3k maybe longer my friend that's all you have to do. You sound lazy...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ah you're preventing it. As if the doctor say you have stage 1 cancer but with treatment there's 70% possibility you will survive. It's the same logic. Even if you catch quarter of impurities every 3k miles that's less junk on your engine. Every 3k maybe longer my friend that's all you have to do. You sound lazy...
That’s not the same logic. There is no evidence to say that OCCs prevent anything meaningful at all. Yes they catch some oil, and help reduce some buildup, but if the valves still need to be cleaned than what is the purpose? To add unneeded maintenance and another failure point? What’s the functional difference between cleaning your valves at 50k or at 60k miles?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That’s not the same logic. There is no evidence to say that OCCs prevent anything meaningful at all. Yes they catch some oil, and help reduce some buildup, but if the valves still need to be cleaned than what is the purpose? To add unneeded maintenance and another failure point? What’s the functional difference between cleaning your valves at 50k or at 60k miles?
Here we go aging with evidence.. ok you win. Catchcan is a useless upgrade. I don't see the purpose why 1/4 mile vehicles have this installed.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
1 - Here we go aging with evidence.. ok you win. Catchcan is a useless upgrade.

2- I don't see the purpose why 1/4 ?mile? vehicles have this installed.
1 - Finally you have come to your senses

2 - did you mean to put "mile"? People buy all kinds of stuff that doesn't nothing for them. oh and willing to bet 1 in 400,000 cars have a catch can. it is a rare aftermarket item, I have never run one and I have owned 10+ cars/trucks. I can't say I even know a single person that runs one and I know a couple people.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
1 - Finally you have come to your senses

2 - did you mean to put "mile"? People buy all kinds of stuff that doesn't nothing for them. oh and willing to bet 1 in 400,000 cars have a catch can. it is a rare aftermarket item, I have never run one and I have owned 10+ cars/trucks. I can't say I even know a single person that runs one and I know a couple people.
just forward to 0:58 he must have added all that **** in there.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
snake oil.... it isn't "s**t" it is oil... you know that stuff that lubes you engine. you are catching it and pulling it from the engine.

Again make sure you add the oil back to the engine, engines normally don't like to run low on oil.

Ford voids warranty because of catch cans. that doesn't mean anything though, Ford doesn't know anything. :rolleyes:

Some random kid on YouTube isn't going to change my mind, I have watched his videos, he is hands down the worst Focus ST YouTuber the community could have wished for, maybe his content has gotten better? no sorry the worst is thatsnobody, he builds a motor in one video talks about selling his car in the next and so on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You’re missing the point, just because there is junk in the catch can does not mean it’s keeping the valves clean. The catch can functions, meaning that it collects oil, but it doesn’t keep your valves clean.

Also yeah, I just realized that you’re the originator of this thread, if you want to run an OCC just do it. It’s not going to cause issues and it might help you go a little further before walnut blasting.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
You’re missing the point, just because there is junk in the catch can does not mean it’s keeping the valves clean. The catch can functions, meaning that it collects oil, but it doesn’t keep your valves clean.
Also yeah, I just realized that you’re the originator of this thread, if you want to run an OCC just do it. It’s not going to cause issues and it might help you go a little further before walnut blasting.
Junk you all refer to is oil, the same oil that keeps your motor alive :p

well it can cause issues if you don't keep up on the unneeded maintenance added by running one 🤦‍♂️

just buy a can of CRC valve cleaner and a long brush. less of a mess than walnuts.

OR you can run meth and not have to worry about all that, just make sure you start the valves off clean, meth will not really clean them but it just keeps them clean.

Filling a meth tank is nearly the lowest maintenance you can do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
you asked the question.... yet you made up your mind before anyone commented?

I mean you are want to run one, do it, not sure why you care what I think?
I was bein a sarcastic ****. I believe on what I said but I like to make feel right when they're wrong...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Ok.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think people are stuck on it keeping valves clean which is only one aspect of the catch can. One of the better reasons for a catch can is they keep your intake air cleaner keeping your octane where it should be when your intake charge gets contaminated with oil and condensation it lowers your burnability and how clean it burns. It also helps reduce all the oil residue you find in your intake manifold and oil residue in your intercooler and turbo intake pipe. Those things are proven and have absolutely nothing to do with keeping your valves clean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think people are stuck on it keeping valves clean which is only one aspect of the catch can. One of the better reasons for a catch can is they keep your intake air cleaner keeping your octane where it should be when your intake charge gets contaminated with oil and condensation it lowers your burnability and how clean it burns. It also helps reduce all the oil residue you find in your intake manifold and oil residue in your intercooler and turbo intake pipe. Those things are proven and have absolutely nothing to do with keeping your valves clean.
THANK YOU.... finally someone with common sense...

·
Registered
861 Posts
100K warranty cost me another $2,650. Money that I pretty much threw away.
You spent 2700 bucks on your extended warranty...wow, and yes that's what my salesman told me it would normally cost me around 2400 but he threw it in with my purchase for all but free I paid 250 bucks for mine. And it's not a waste really, I mean you still have alot of stuff that is covered, fuel system, turbo system, I put my stock parts back on if I need to take it in, anyways, and transmission, electronics systems, stereo. All this stuff is money, my sync 3 headunit had to be replaced and the factory cost would cost me like 2gs if I wouldn't have that warranty.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
This could be a reason and for some reason some cars have a bigger issue with this than others, my car has very little oil "residue". While other cars I have worked on the intercooler and cold side pipe was covered in oil, enough to cause a problem? doubtful

"proven" - as in all cars with catch can no longer have residue build up? sure I would hope so or the $200+ catch can you bought into isn't worth jack nor doing jack.
I get very little residue, not enough to justify a catch can. also don't see the issue of a little oil in the air.

I still see valves staying clean to be a bigger issue, oh well.

maybe spraying meth into the throttle body helps clean up some of that oil, but cant be it completely because i have been running meth for only that past 20k

THANK YOU.... finally someone with common sense...
That isn't very common

This is just like any other 100+ catch can threads. again if you believe in it, run it.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
(just posted this in another thread, thinking I was posting here, LOL it relates to both though, crazy how so many threads are around carbon buildup)
Thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
(just posted this in another thread, thinking I was posting here, LOL it relates to both though, crazy how so many threads are around carbon buildup)
Thoughts?

totally totally agree. Specially on 93.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
totally totally agree. Specially on 93.
gas never touches our valves. DFI and all. if you have AUX or meth then you can get the cleaning properties from fuel but otherwise.

That said always run 92/93, my tune requires it, and even before I was tuned I only ran it, car runs much better on it.

I run Valvoline Modern Engine Oil hoping it isn't just a gimmick and that they claim it helps with stopping LSPI and help prevent valves junking up. I mean I could run another oil that doesn't make the claims and spend the same amount of money, so might as well pay the same gimmick or not

21 - 40 of 40 Posts