Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. Back in the day when I used to drive 240s didn't see the importance of running catchcan. How about on the st? How important is it?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey y'all. Back in the day when I used to drive 240s didn't see the importance of running catchcan. How about on the st? How important is it?
A lot of carbon build up in our engines. I mean I have seen valve pictures even at 60k and they are completely covered. Catch can helps with that a lot especially if you run it early on. If not it will still help but I would highly recommend some valve cleaning also if you have more than 50k on your car. You do feel the difference after clean up in responsiveness.
I personally run the Mishimoto one but there are other ones out there!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I thought so. Inonly have 13k on it now but I'm installing one tomorrow for sure. And which one you'll say it's more critical, front or rear?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah I thought so. Inonly have 13k on it now but I'm installing one tomorrow for sure. And which one you'll say it's more critical, front or rear?
I am only running upfront. I am not sure if anything else makes a difference

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
The most critical is the catch can between the pcv plate and the intake mani, but the there is also one for the turbo inlet pipe and valve cover which can be useful, it all depends if your getting alot of blowby, I have 37k on my 2018 now bought it brand new with 62 miles. It's lightly modded and I barely have any oil residue at all in the turbo inlet pipe after all those miles there's maybe alil tinge of stuff right where the line hooks up to the intake pipe from the valve cover but that's it. But even if it doesn't catch oil or alot of times a mixture or condensation and unburnt fuel(you'd be surprised you'll be able to smell) it can keep contaminates out of your intake charge..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The most critical is the catch can between the pcv plate and the intake mani, but the there is also one for the turbo inlet pipe and valve cover which can be useful, it all depends if your getting alot of blowby, I have 37k on my 2018 now bought it brand new with 62 miles. It's lightly modded and I barely have any oil residue at all in the turbo inlet pipe after all those miles there's maybe alil tinge of stuff right where the line hooks up to the intake pipe from the valve cover but that's it. But even if it doesn't catch oil or alot of times a mixture or condensation and unburnt fuel(you'd be surprised you'll be able to smell) it can keep contaminates out of your intake charge..

I appreciate your response. I will install this front can today. I will till warranty expires to make mods on my car, I'm a lil more worried about keeping the engine as healthy as possible. Got any more tips and tricks let me know.. thanks..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm running a dual Port catch can system. So it taps into the intake manifold and turbo intake 4 vacuum. With a check valve so when the manifold is under boost it draws vacuum from the turbo intake. Either I have very little blow by or the system doesn't work. I drain it's every oil change and I'm lucky if I get an ounce. Do you want to keep your engine clean and healthy WMI is the way to go. Probably not warranty friendly though. I've already voided my warranty and I still have just over 80,000 miles left on it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm running a dual Port catch can system. So it taps into the intake manifold and turbo intake 4 vacuum. With a check valve so when the manifold is under boost it draws vacuum from the turbo intake. Either I have very little blow by or the system doesn't work. I drain it's every oil change and I'm lucky if I get an ounce. Do you want to keep your engine clean and healthy WMI is the way to go. Probably not warranty friendly though. I've already voided my warranty and I still have just over 80,000 miles left on it.
I'm right there with ya 100k mile warranty, I'm at 37k on my 2018...but at least it's still useable as far as transmission, suspension, and electrical and body components, and I think depending on how you play an engine issue you may even get them taken care it all depends. Like I know if I have to take my car in for anything warranty related I obviously uninstall my accessport, put my factory plugs back in it, and pull my steeda air box out and put the factory one back in that way it's mostly back together. I have a radium pcv plate I've been holding off on installing but I'm getting really antsy. Lol

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm right there with ya 100k mile warranty, I'm at 37k on my 2018...but at least it's still useable as far as transmission, suspension, and electrical and body components, and I think depending on how you play an engine issue you may even get them taken care it all depends. Like I know if I have to take my car in for anything warranty related I obviously uninstall my accessport, put my factory plugs back in it, and pull my steeda air box out and put the factory one back in that way it's mostly back together. I have a radium pcv plate I've been holding off on installing but I'm getting really antsy. Lol

Yeah I'm full bolt on stage 3. My engine goes. I just have to bite the bullet and buy a built block. I thought about buying another complete engine from a Lincoln MKC just to have it on hand. I have too many parts to change out to try and put it back to stock some of which I don't even know if I have any more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
100k warranty? I only get 30k bumper to bumper. Why?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Why what?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Who has proof of it helping? I have heard so much back and forth but the fact is no one has been running a catch can long enough and can show that they have clean valves.

I don't believe that a catch can will keep the valves clean. please prove me wrong.

I didn't waste my money on a catch can. I spent it on WMI, I cleaned my valves after I installed WMI, and my valves have stayed clean.

catch cans cost a lot of money, spend your money on something that works, just my thought

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who has proof of it helping? I have heard so much back and forth but the fact is no one has been running a catch can long enough and can show that they have clean valves.

I don't believe that a catch can will keep the valves clean. please prove me wrong.

I didn't waste my money on a catch can. I spent it on WMI, I cleaned my valves after I installed WMI, and my valves have stayed clean.

catch cans cost a lot of money, spend your money on something that works, just my thought
I Spend $30 on mine. And they do catch alot of impunity. I had it on my sonata turbo and on my s13 SR20 as well. On the sr not much difference but on GDI engines they do catch a lot of oil and fuel mixture. All oil catchcan do the same job, those expensive ones are just selling you a name. Most are made of aluminum even my $30 one just throw a scotch bright in the can for better filtration.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Spend $30 on mine. And they do catch alot of impunity. I had it on my sonata turbo and on my s13 SR20 as well. On the sr not much difference but on GDI engines they do catch a lot of oil and fuel mixture. All oil catchcan do the same job, those expensive ones are just selling you a name. Most are made of aluminum even my $30 one just throw a scotch bright in the can for better filtration.
I will post a pic on my next oil change

·
Registered
137 Posts

There is evidence to support that your valves will have slightly less buildup with a catch can installed. Engineering Explained has a great video with real evidence. However the issue is that it doesn’t completely stop buildup, most of the oil mist passes through the OCC. So you still need to clean your valves almost as frequently.

That was my tipping point, I have to keep emptying this stupid catch can and I have to clean the valves anyway. What’s the point?

Yes OCCs do function, but what people here need to realize is that just because there is stuff is coming out of your catch can that does not mean that it is accomplishing anything meaningful.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
There is evidence to support that your valves will have slightly less buildup with a catch can installed. Engineering Explained has a great video with real evidence. However the issue is that it doesn’t completely stop buildup, most of the oil mist passes through the OCC. So you still need to clean your valves almost as frequently.

That was my tipping point, I have to keep emptying this stupid catch can and I have to clean the valves anyway. What’s the point?

Yes OCCs do function, but what people here need to realize is that just because there is stuff is coming out of your catch can that does not mean that it is accomplishing anything meaningful.
This ^^^^ yes it "works" yes it catches, oil, but it isn't a solution to put in and think it is the end of all valve build up. Honestly isn't worth the hassle and mostly the money.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts