Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, @SIstomper and I decided to do a little experiment and take some photos. Let me preface this with one caveat - I and plenty of other's on here believe that you can benefit from an OCC, and I think the evidence here points in that direction. I know there will still be some of you nay-sayers out there who will still disagree. All I can say is look at the photos, leave comments relevant to what you are thinking from the photos, not whether or not other people should get an OCC. Check the negative attitudes at the door please.

Details of the cars: SIstomper - modded to the hilt with BT and SCT tune by Unleashed, dyno runs aplenty, countless data log runs. Moroso OCC
My car - Stage 3 Cobb AP 91 tune from Matt @ Panda. 1 dyno run, about 15 data log runs. NO OCC.
Test setup: SIstomper's car -15,000 miles since last valve cleaning, OCC installed the whole time.
My car, 11,300 miles on the odometer, never had the intake off.
Now to the pictures:
First shots will be of SIstomper's car, cold side pipe dry and clean:
Auto part Photography Wheel Metal
Next we will see a couple of his intake valves, a small amount of dry valve coking evident: (these intake runners are a pain to illuminate and photograph at the same time)
Face Eye Nose Eyebrow Close-up
Nose Eye Close-up Organ Macro photography
And the last shot is of the inside of his intake manifold just above the TB: a small SPOT of oil in it, no other oil anywhere:
Auto part Engine Automotive super charger part Automotive engine part Carburetor

Next up, my car, same pictures and same order. cold pipe, oil puddle and streaks down the pipe wall:
Auto part Eye Photography Automotive lighting Wheel
A couple of my intake valves next, black sludge that looks like TAR all over them:
Close-up Water Material property Photography Monochrome
Close-up Photography Auto part Metal Macro photography
And the last shot, inside my intake manifold was a slick film of oil inside every runner and a thick spot covering the lower section above the TB.
Product Auto part Electronics

Again, take this for what you see in the pictures and decide if you want to put on the OCC or not. Anyone who thinks it not necessary, please feel free to click the little red X above and go about your day happily.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm glad I put a Moroso can on my car at 1000 miles. I figured it couldn't hurt and I guess I was right.

Thanks to you both for taking the time to do this.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Forgot to add this photo: the contents of his Moroso OCC after 1500 miles. Very thin solution, smells mostly of fuel, but the color is dark enough you can barely see light through it.
Water Product Glass Transparent material Fluid
We also want to add that the climate here in SoCal is usually VERY dry, so that is why we are not seeing any milky oily layering like in some of your other OCC collections out there on the webs.

Reactions: COBBST

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, we try to do it scientific like.....as close a comparison as BT against Stage 3 can be.

Reactions: Pandraztic

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Pictures are pretty convincing evidence that there is a benefit to installing a catch can. This comparison and write up are enough to get me to buy one. Thanks to you both for taking the time to do this and for sharing your findings.

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
You guys do realize that no two cars are the same? If I was in place of you vs someone with catch cans, my car would still 'won'.

13k miles and bone dry EVERYTHING.
Explain why so many of these cars are not "bone dry" . Most of the cars here have fluid in the intake manifold/charge pipes. Maybe Ford used bad pcv valves. Maybe there is something wrong with your pcv system. How does your oil look after an oil change? That's a good way to tell. The pcv system is in place to remove moisture, fuel and other stuff from getting into the oil from blow by. So if your pcv isn't venting this back into your intake system where is it going? Even with a brand new engine you will have some blow by.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Forgot to add this photo: the contents of his Moroso OCC after 1500 miles. Very thin solution, smells mostly of fuel, but the color is dark enough you can barely see light through it.
View attachment 88145
We also want to add that the climate here in SoCal is usually VERY dry, so that is why we are not seeing any milky oily layering like in some of your other OCC collections out there on the webs.
Will you be going with the Moroso OCC? Excellent comparison and write up. It's enough to make me want to get one. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes @B0bD0le, of course no two cars are the same. I would love to see some pictures from your intake at 13,000 miles to compare with mine. (Not calling you a liar, just truly interested to see what your intake valves look like).

The next step of this test is, unfortunately, the longer stop down the road. I need to now put my OCC in-line and drive for 15,000 miles, which at my current rate is a year.
This was simply a comparison of two cars in the same climate, of 2 good friends who happen to live near each other, and want to show what differences we can for this engine, car, and forum.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I did my intercooler swap I had no evidence of oil anywhere with no OCC
Pull off your sound symposer, I bet you find oil in there.

Reactions: Crandis16 and Gh0st

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A proper test would have been to use one car, not two. You're adding variables.

Also telling people they have to agree with you or they shouldn't participate in this thread is rather childish.
I agree that there are variables in this, as with most, experiments on this forum. I did not tell anyone they could not participate, nor did I try to convince anyone that they needed to add an OCC vehemently either. I think there is evidence that supports the need for one, and just asked that anyone who does not agree to not jump in and start bashing this thread trying to convince otherwise. You and anyone else are invited to participate, it's a free inter-web after all.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts