Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at buying an oil catch can on its own and am wondering how people have mounted theirs. The vehicle is a 2013.
The can by itself is a fraction of a kit price, the downside is the lack of a mounting bracket. My intentions are to mount it high in an easy to reach place so it can be emptied with little effort, also if it is visible then it is more likely to be attended to.
With what have you mounted your can, and where?

·
Registered
169 Posts
JLT performance makes one that mounts in the front of the intake in the engine bay. Here’s a link.

Also a lot of people use Damond it uses the place of the sound symposer delete that work just as good. Here’s a link to that.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
If you're not using a dedicated kit then you need to be creative, if it were me I would mount it near to the engine so it gets warm when running, but also in an area that is easy to drain, maybe somewhere on the bottom so that you can get to it easily when you do your oil changes?

·
Super Moderator
9,358 Posts
If you're not using a dedicated kit then you need to be creative, if it were me I would mount it near to the engine so it gets warm when running, but also in an area that is easy to drain, maybe somewhere on the bottom so that you can get to it easily when you do your oil changes?
Can always route a line and run a petcock. Well on certain OCC.

Damond OCC's are still my top pick. Easiest to setup, drain, and its all in one kit with factory line hookups. No hoseclamps or BS on the intake mani side.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
RxP out of Florida not the other one and Upr have the best made and functioning catch cans. There are nice ones that are cheaper with a more basic system, unlike UPR who uses a 4 chambered can so it has more area for the oil and condensation to hit and drop down off of and then RX has a 5 chambered, Tracy Lewis sells RX cans under his name, but they are an old design. Anyways, thats that. I had planned on getting Radiums for the longezt time but after really reswarching these cans, ALL of them and really if you google the two i mentioned and 3 or 4 you know off and you find internal pictures of them and you tell me which you think is gonna do a better job of filtering and and has no surface area inside for the dirty air to hit and condense against and fall to the bottom of the can. Also any can that does not keep the dirty and clean air separate so that once the air is cleaned it does not get recontaminated inside is not worth its money no matter what.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Damond here, definitely a nice kit. As Duece said no BS all factory connection. Drain valve makes it super easy to drain. I had it installed in about an hour.

18' ST1 (wife's mostly stockish) & 06' Mercury Grand Marquis (mine, definitely not stock)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
$$$$$ i may get but geez almost $200 for a cnc soda can

Reactions: extra_g

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if it were me I would mount it near to the engine so it gets warm when running
I read the cooler the can the more efficient the can. Reason given was more oil will drop out with the temperature drop. Seemed logical but may not be correct.

Had to Google what a petcock was, seems to be a US word. Never heard of it before and could not find the definition in my English dictionary.

$$$$$ i may get but geez almost $200 for a cnc soda can
Exactly here in Aus they are about $350 for a kit where I can get the can only for $35. Then I just need a length of hose, a few clamps and perhaps a bracket if the cans simple bracket will not fit anywhere. The main reason for having it visible is mainly so if the car gets sold on the new owner is aware of the can and it does not fill and get sucked into the motor.

This is the can I have found, it looks like a Mishimoto can to me.

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
I read the cooler the can the more efficient the can. Reason given was more oil will drop out with the temperature drop. Seemed logical but may not be correct.

Had to Google what a petcock was, seems to be a US word. Never heard of it before and could not find the definition in my English dictionary.

Exactly here in Aus they are about $350 for a kit where I can get the can only for $35. Then I just need a length of hose, a few clamps and perhaps a bracket if the cans simple bracket will not fit anywhere. The main reason for having it visible is mainly so if the car gets sold on the new owner is aware of the can and it does not fill and get sucked into the motor.

May want to add a check valve.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
642 Posts
Then I just need a length of hose, a few clamps and perhaps a bracket if the cans simple bracket will not fit anywhere. The main reason for having it visible is mainly so if the car gets sold on the new owner is aware of the can and it does not fill and get sucked into the motor.

I bought that can from a seller in Europe including hoses and clamps. Love the way it looks, to short to say how good it works. Used the supplied bracket for mounting

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Noted.

EDIT: After watching the Mishimoto install video, they do not include a check valve. However they keep the original fittings, is there a valve in the OEM fitting?
There is a valve in the OEM PCV plate, if you use a damond or a radium plate you may need to add a check valve, but even those can be configured to include a check valve now

·
Super Moderator
9,358 Posts
There is a valve in the OEM PCV plate, if you use a damond or a radium plate you may need to add a check valve, but even those can be configured to include a check valve now
Damond always comes with check valves.

Not sure if OP can get them though, being out on that island. Makes part selection tough.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
anybody know why Mountune went with using Radium Engineering vs another vendor?? Anything special vs the other ones listed above?? pro's cons?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
anybody know why Mountune went with using Radium Engineering vs another vendor?? Anything special vs the other ones listed above?? pro's cons?
Radium is a good quality can, but it requires operantly modifying the fan shroud and relocating the fan controller to be able to install. I consider that a deal breaker, for a $240 can its not really acceptable. It also doesn't come with an easy draining system, that's $40 extra.

The Damond can is a much better option, you could probably install it without even pulling the manifold all the way off. Its only $180 too.

I run a boomba, because I wanted colors lol

·
Premium Member
13,526 Posts
Radium is a good quality can, but it requires operantly modifying the fan shroud and relocating the fan controller to be able to install. I consider that a deal breaker, for a $240 can its not really acceptable. It also doesn't come with an easy draining system, that's $40 extra.

The Damond can is a much better option, you could probably install it without even pulling the manifold all the way off. Its only $180 too.

I run a boomba, because I wanted colors lol
Didn't have to modify mine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Didn't have to modify mine.

Is it still in the instructions? I had one and the radium instructions specifically said to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,526 Posts
Is it still in the instructions? I had one and the radium instructions specifically said to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is. However if you use the remote drain it isn't necessary. It just gives you clearance to unscrew the can.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts