Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Browsing threads and its come to my attention that an oil catch can some people swear by, and others think its nonsense. Personally if it has a chance to save my valves from buildup, its worth it to me. I have a 2016 FoST. just picked up Friday. Looking at Diamond catch cans as they seem to be the most popular and greatest ratings... Being new to this, I assume the best option for this would be to go stage 3 OCC right away- being the PCV and the valve cover. I assume they both work hand in and and need to be drained separately? Any worry about installing <1000 miles?

Also if in wrong thread, please let me know and I'll move it. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey all,

Browsing threads and its come to my attention that an oil catch can some people swear by, and others think its nonsense. Personally if it has a chance to save my valves from buildup, its worth it to me. I have a 2016 FoST. just picked up Friday. Looking at Diamond catch cans as they seem to be the most popular and greatest ratings... Being new to this, I assume the best option for this would be to go stage 3 OCC right away- being the PCV and the valve cover. I assume they both work hand in and and need to be drained separately? Any worry about installing <1000 miles?

Also if in wrong thread, please let me know and I'll move it. Thanks!
I went with the stage 1 location 1. People who think they are nonsense are crazy but you'll find out really quick everybody is an expert . Even with under 1000 miles on your car I guarantee if you pull off the intake manifold there will be oil in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with the stage 1 location 1. People who think they are nonsense are crazy but you'll find out really quick everybody is an expert . Even with under 1000 miles on your car I guarantee if you pull off the intake manifold there will be oil in it.

Any plans on going stage 2? I know stage 1 is the most important, but trying to decide if I really need the second one, or if stage one would be sufficient

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey all,

Browsing threads and its come to my attention that an oil catch can some people swear by, and others think its nonsense. Personally if it has a chance to save my valves from buildup, its worth it to me. I have a 2016 FoST. just picked up Friday. Looking at Diamond catch cans as they seem to be the most popular and greatest ratings... Being new to this, I assume the best option for this would be to go stage 3 OCC right away- being the PCV and the valve cover. I assume they both work hand in and and need to be drained separately? Any worry about installing

When My car was stock turbo I didnt see the need of OCC. MY charge pipe and intake was clean. OCC is not gonna eliminate the oil build up on the valves. It will help it. So far i have not seen a focus st that has so much build up that cant idle. Our pcv system is better than the audi and bmw. If you wanna eliminate oil build, i would highly suggest aux fuel. lol

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
First it's not just oil. There is oil in the fluid but it's a mix of oil, gas and water. Second not all engine are equal. Some will produce more fluid in the PCV system than others. Other conditions to take into account are fuel quality, driving conditions, ect. Now that's out of the way if your going to get one I would suggest any can that goes between the PCV and intake manifold. I have used both the Moroso can and Boomba. I do also recommend the can between the valve cover and intake pipe. This will help keep the cold side of the turbo clean.

Now if you have buildup on your valves that you wish to get rid of I suggest walnut blasting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
First it's not just oil. There is oil in the fluid but it's a mix of oil, gas and water. Second not all engine are equal. Some will produce more fluid in the PCV system than others. Other conditions to take into account are fuel quality, driving conditions, ect. Now that's out of the way if your going to get one I would suggest any can that goes between the PCV and intake manifold. I have used both the Moroso can and Boomba. I do also recommend the can between the valve cover and intake pipe. This will help keep the cold side of the turbo clean. But our pcv system is very good and works great.

Now if you have buildup on your valves that you wish to get rid of I suggest walnut blasting.
Walnut blasting will clean them but wont prevent the build up. I think walnut blasting and then running aux fuel will be the best way to go. I agree with every engine being different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Instead of aux fuel you can also go with WMI if your goal is to keep your valves clean as well. CFM makes a breather filter cap too. I've been thinking about getting one myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any plans on going stage 2? I know stage 1 is the most important, but trying to decide if I really need the second one, or if stage one would be sufficient
No. I'll just stick with Stage 1. I've thought about getting the CFM breather filter oil cap as well (heard it helps with blow by). A buddy of mine has the stage 1 from Damond and also the Mountune breather plate. Not sure how well that's doing for him as far as amount of blow by he's found in his catch can though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Instead of aux fuel you can also go with WMI if your goal is to keep your valves clean as well. CFM makes a breather filter cap too. I've been thinking about getting one myself.

Wmi only activates on high boost so it would not be as affective as the aux and also you have to make sure that your wmi is not empty. Aux so much easy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is true for vehicles that have port injection. We have direct injection. So only air goes through the valves no fuel.
Still works just fine for these cars.

Sent from another garage.
How does only air cleaning the valves? You need the help of the fuel. Also cant compare the oven cleaning and intake valves. Different working temperatures.

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
How does only air cleaning the valves? You need the help of the fuel. Also cant compare the oven cleaning and intake valves. Different working temperatures.
If I pull my intake manifold again I'll post new pictures to go with the ones I posted at the time of my catch can install. There is less build up. So explain that.

Sent from another garage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts