Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Oil and filter what brand are you using???

38K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  rob99rt 
#1 ·
Without getting into a big discussion about one oil brand being far superior to another..... I'm curious what brand oil and filter is everyone using???

I used Mobile 1 and Motorcraft filter on all my oil changes on my last ST. On my new ST I'm considering other choices such as Castrol full synthetic.

#15 ·
I did my 1st change at 2500. Went with Motorcraft 5w20 synth-blend, and the FL-400 filter. At 5k I'll most likely start using Mobil-1.
Uh oh. The ST is supposed to get 5W-30!

I use 0W-40 when I can find it but if not I get 5W-40 synthetic. Whatever's on sale.

#6 ·
5w40 ( full synthetic) and FL400S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Changed at 1000 with Motorcraft semi synthetic 5w30 and FL400s filter. Will go again at 5000 with Pennzoil full synthetic (what ever they call it now) 5w30. Then every 5000 after that, same way.

#18 ·
2018 Focus ST2 and I changed my oil at 24xx for the first time and went to Amsoil SS5w-30 and a PureOne filter. I would like to run the Amsoil filter but at the time didn't have a chance to grab one with in a decent time frame. I am curious I see someone running the Ea036 and I was under the impression the Amsoil filter is the E15a15k1 or something similar to those numbers, is the Ea036 an enlarged filter of the same thread pitch and all that good stuff to make it seal tight filter pump housing? Anyways at 5244 miles now and running great, doesn't burn a single drop of oil and I did a Sound symposer delete and my flapper on my sound symposer was dry and clean.

#20 ·
Maybe it's just me, and from having a Mazda Speed6 fully bolted and the engines being so similar, they are notorious for fuel sheer in their oil, its common in alot if not all DI motors. So I may be super anal,but I change my oil every 2500 to 3000 miles and I honestly feel like I can tell a difference in every vehicle I have kept this rate of change in, I always notice smoother idle, quieter running, and more stable and consistent oil pressure. And I am POSITIVE this probably is just me. And I do realize alot of people have chosen their 5k or so intervals off of actual oil analysis. Which I intend on doing right before I drain it this time to see what metal content and contaminants if any are in my oil. I guess while we are on the subject, anyone on here having used the Radium catch cans, or their pcv plate? I have been debating on putting on the pcv plate first with their updated and better pcv valve and then possibly one or both of their catch cans depending on the plates performance. It's difficult to decide what exactly to install because their are so many options...and so little time....and sometimes money. Lol

#24 ·
Valvoline full synthetic with premium guard pg195(equivalent to the FL400)

Helps I work at an oil change repair shop lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I'm running Ravenol VST 5w40 (full synthetic PAO with 30% Ester) and a Mahle OC1063 Filter.

#31 ·
I'm currently on FL400 & Mobil 1 5W-30. I buy oil based upon manufacture specifications/certifications and price/name brand. I'll probably run 5000-7000 OCIs. Mobil has a nice $12 per 5Qt rebate so it cost like $10 for a 5-Qt jug and it has all the certifications to meet/exceed our requirements.

Boutique oils and all the jammering that goes on with arguments over oil are much to do about nothing in my opinion. Buy a name brand 5W-30 synthetic (because it doesn't cost any more than regular) with modern specs for LSPI protection and forget about it.

#32 ·
Running Amsoil 5W-30 and EaO34 now (it apparently had two changes at dealerships before I got it based upon carfax report). With the larger EaO34 filter, it took a touch over 6 quarts to bring it to the top of the hatch mark on the stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.