Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy my ST3 as a daily driver. Posted that back in 2013 I test drove many a Mustang and walked away. Figured on being buried in the ST.

So, I got sent to Pittsburgh for 2 1/2 weeks on business and didn't want the typical underpowered, marshmallow sprung rental. Charmed my way into a sporty car at the National desk for a pittance of an upgrade. Well, they had a Mustang Convertible and I took it. It is unseasonably warm, so top down. Finally got off work today before twilight, popped the hood and it's the 2.3 Ecoboost.

Never owned a Mustang and the last couple of gens were not very interesting. This would be the second most impractical car I've ever considered, after the NC Miata the ex-wife took.

It's growing on me ... the ST will be paid off before I want to retire, a new or gently used Mustang premium convertible (not going from the ST3 amenities to a basic) not!

Probably a couple of hard launches and carved corners back home in the St will cure me, but I am intrigued. Heading to the Mustang Ecoboost forum next.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Had a rear drive sporty car, Porsche 911. Sold it when I realized I put 630 miles on it last year. Just not worth having a RWD toy for me. Also, if you're used to FWD, a RWD will bite you when you least expect it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the long hood is kind of off-putting. Reminds me of my parent's 1972 Town Car, without the 6 footer plus legroom front and rear. Yeah, and if they're still making the AWD Fusion Sport ... when I finally tire of the ST ...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
my goal is to have enough life in the ST after its paid off, to get a coyote S550 and be able to daily the ST and keep the miles off the 5.0 (or at least only put them on 1/4 mile at a time!)

rented a 2.3 convertible last summer on a trip to Cali, and knew I'd have to have one sooner or later, but it just has to be one that didn't run out of breath once you get the revs up like the EB does... originally I was planning to get a 13 or 14 once they were out for a couple of years and the price had dropped down a bit and daily my Lincoln, but then I saw the S550 and fell in love with its looks, after driving it and feeling all of the improvements they mode over the previous generation, I knew I had to push my schedule back a little bit.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
and the Fusion(AKA mini SHO) would be at the top of my list if it came with a proper transmission, but thats the same reason I passed on the couple of SHO's I checked out. I just cant do another fun sucking autobox, its the one thing that keeps me from fully enjoying driving the Lincoln around anymore.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This summer I test drove the 2.3 ecoboost briefly (just a couple residential blocks) but the clutch felt too light, almost non-existent. Maybe you get used to it but coming right out of my ST it was weird. There's also a considerable amount more NVH in it as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd only buy a Shelby, anything short of that and I'll pass...I just didn't like the driving experience from a s550, the damn things a boat and owners of them actually make fun of (and calls them boats) a Hellcat which only weighs 150 lbs more than a loaded premium GT
While I don't disagree that the S550 feels like a boat compared to the ST, your last statement is way off. A loaded premium GT with a manual weighs 3,700 lbs. A Hellcat Challenger weighs 4,450 lbs.

Edit: My dad has a S550 convertible V6 and it is pretty awful to drive and feels incredibly cheap. However, my experience with the GTs is limited to the passenger seat.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
This is me in my friends Hellcat, I've seen it weigh in at the local farm elevator, your the only person way off. (I did mistype the Hellcat weight though, meant to type 350 lbs difference, not 150) lol. And a new Premium GT does weigh 3800 like I said. Add a full tank of gas and its 3900...pretty piggish weight to be blasting Dodge guys for how much their cars weigh if you ask me. Especially when Friday night I saw (yet again) another stock Hellcat run 11.3's at the track, compared to flat 13's for the Mustang, its a world of difference that supercharger makes, that is for sure! View attachment 278170
Everyone is Europe hates how big this car is...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wish Ford would make a direct competitor to the Miata and brz....... Fiesta sized with an Ecoboost and rwd

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To all the various replies.

I got my license in 1969 and the first car in my name was a 1970 Olds 442 when I graduated college. Survived, so my dormant RWD instincts may save me.

My wife knows I rented it.

I really think at my age the ST is easier to get into and out of.

There is a nervousness/twitchiness in the front end that I don't have in MY ST. I noticed that, unlike the last gen convertibles, this one did no have the front tower braces.

Probably a fun car to rent and I'll still be able to walk away and not look back.

·
Registered
744 Posts
OP, I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for but check out the Chevy SS. Big, four-door American muscle. Easily the best bang for you buck for ~$40k and under. Chevy is pushing them down people's throats because they don't appeal to your typical driver so there's a good chance to get one pretty far below MSRP. Even a used one isn't too expensive. If you don't mind going automatic, the auto gearbox is decent. Otherwise, look at the 2016+.

A 2016/2017 one will be what I'm getting after the ST leaves.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OP, I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for but check out the Chevy SS. Big, four-door American muscle. Easily the best bang for you buck for ~$40k and under. Chevy is pushing them down people's throats because they don't appeal to your typical driver so there's a good chance to get one pretty far below MSRP. Even a used one isn't too expensive. If you don't mind going automatic, the auto gearbox is decent. Otherwise, look at the 2016+.

A 2016/2017 one will be what I'm getting after the ST leaves.
I'm not so much looking as I was posting how much better this gen Mustang was IMHO, than the last. I asked for a Mustang because I didn't want to drive another stripped econobox rental special. The convertible (it was 90 today) was just a bonus.

Right now, both by my financial planning and the slowly diminishing fulfillment of work, I can and will retire in 2019. If the promotion everybody thinks is mine materializes, a new car and another 48 month car loan might be a thing. For now I'm looking forward to new brake lines, wheel cylinders, and shocks on my 1999 F150 this fall and spark plugs and brake pads for the ST in the spring. And drive them both into the ground.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is me in my friends Hellcat, I've seen it weigh in at the local farm elevator, your the only person way off. (I did mistype the Hellcat weight though, meant to type 350 lbs difference, not 150) lol. And a new Premium GT does weigh 3800 like I said. Add a full tank of gas and its 3900...pretty piggish weight to be blasting Dodge guys for how much their cars weigh if you ask me. Especially when Friday night I saw (yet again) another stock Hellcat run 11.3's at the track, compared to flat 13's for the Mustang, its a world of difference that supercharger makes, that is for sure!
Hellcats are indeed heavy, but they run some unbelievable numbers. My Challenger is one of the most fun cars I've ever had. No, you can't throw it around like a FoST, but that's not what it is about. It is a pavement pounder, plain and simple. You can't drive the car and not have an ear to ear grin. You also can't pass a gas station. For being a car, it is a pig on fuel. Paying that $1700 gas guzzler tax was painful...I hope the feds spend it wisely.

I put some time behind the wheel of a new GT350, and it didn't feel "boat like". I felt that they did a pretty good job with it. Personally, I'm a V8 guy, so the 2.3L one isn't for me, but Livernois Motorsports is local, and they have turned out some impressive numbers with them. While I do like the current gen Mustang GT, the 6th gen Camaro SS is simply in another league, when it comes to acceleration. I had an 8spd auto Camaro SS vert as a rental earlier this year, while vacationing in FL. Wow, what an amazing machine to tour the Keys with. I'm a die hard manual guy, but this thing was unreal. Will be interesting to see how the new 2018 GT does against one.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Hellcats are indeed heavy, but they run some unbelievable numbers. My Challenger is one of the most fun cars I've ever had. No, you can't throw it around like a FoST, but that's not what it is about. It is a pavement pounder, plain and simple. You can't drive the car and not have an ear to ear grin. You also can't pass a gas station. For being a car, it is a pig on fuel. Paying that $1700 gas guzzler tax was painful...I hope the feds spend it wisely.

I put some time behind the wheel of a new GT350, and it didn't feel "boat like". I felt that they did a pretty good job with it. Personally, I'm a V8 guy, so the 2.3L one isn't for me, but Livernois Motorsports is local, and they have turned out some impressive numbers with them. While I do like the current gen Mustang GT, the 6th gen Camaro SS is simply in another league, when it comes to acceleration. I had an 8spd auto Camaro SS vert as a rental earlier this year, while vacationing in FL. Wow, what an amazing machine to tour the Keys with. I'm a die hard manual guy, but this thing was unreal. Will be interesting to see how the new 2018 GT does against one.
The GT350 isn't your typical mustang. That beast is tuned accordingly to drive unlike a mustang. It can take a track with pride compared to the normal GT who can't corner to save it's life. And the GT350r is just another world with it's suspension upgrades. Next to the ZL1 Camaro it's the #2 muscle car ranked by Car and Driver. Thing is disgusting (good version of disgusting).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
This is me in my friends Hellcat, I've seen it weigh in at the local farm elevator, your the only person way off. (I did mistype the Hellcat weight though, meant to type 350 lbs difference, not 150) lol. And a new Premium GT does weigh 3800 like I said. Add a full tank of gas and its 3900...pretty piggish weight to be blasting Dodge guys for how much their cars weigh if you ask me. Especially when Friday night I saw (yet again) another stock Hellcat run 11.3's at the track, compared to flat 13's for the Mustang, its a world of difference that supercharger makes, that is for sure! View attachment 278170
I will in no way say they aren't fast, but 300lbs of weight difference is most certainly a lot bigger than you are making it out to be lol. Recently they raced a 1000hp Ford GT against the new McLaren that only makes like 680 or so hp...the McClaren absolutely wrecked it from a roll. It weights roughly 300lbs less and has a little big more grunt down low + it has a lightning fast automatic gearbox and it took down a 300hp difference of a car. Watching the video made me so sad because the GT is vehicular sex.

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
I get to drive a colleague's 2016 Mustang GT Premium between 10 and 20 times per month. I found the car underwhelming until he shod it with summer rubber earlier this spring. It totally transformed the car. Turn-in is fast and linear and the front end is not twitchy. Front to rear balance is outstanding and it is easy to hang the tail out in tight turns with throttle application. The rear end is still too compliant but compliance isn't a lack of balance, and it has balance in spades. I also love the brakes (which aren't the base GT brakes).

Arguably, it is too powerful. If you stomp the gas, you are well over any legal speed limit in a few seconds.

I think there will be an S550 Mustang in my future.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Before picking up my '17 FoST, I was a Mustang guy. I owned a 2008 Bullitt (rest in pieces) and a 2013 GT/CS. I loved both cars and routinely had the gas pinned to the floor while rowing through the gears. The suspension on both however was alarming at best on even semi-rough roads and absolutely terrifying on any roads worse than that. Maybe the new ones with the independent rear suspension are better, but when I was at the dealership looking at my current baby, I really didn't give the Mustangs a second look.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh no, I drove it after a 13 hour day in the plant. It hurt to get into it and hurt to get out. I've spent 12 hours in a ship engineering plant, limped out to the ST, settled into the Recaros and wasn't limping after a half-hour drive home. Plus, while obviously I'm not driving the same roads, the Mustang still has a twitchy, nervous feeling in the front end on bumps and broken pavement that the ST doesn't have. Good, fun rental; keeping the ST.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts