Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
12,913 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Brake kits are only as good as the pad choices available. Wouldn't it really suck if the pad shape was such, that only EBC pads could work?

I'll take the AP/Essex kit any day. Super lightweight, great pad options, fits under 17" wheels.. Those J-Hook rotors, now those are sexy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
EBC doesn't even make a good race pad. Once you're out of hpde 2 you need to find another brand. I've been there with them. Hard to take them seriously based on looks alone

Reactions: SiThlord

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh, no argument AP has some good stuff too. But EBC will probably be like everyone else (except Wilwood) and only offer a front option (if that). I'd venture to guess EBC will be the only pads to fit the EBC calipers until the calipers become popular and other pads jump on the bandwagon. EBC makes pads for just about any caliper.

No race experience, but I've had great luck and experiences with EBC pads on the street. So much so, I think I'm even going with their Red pads over the BP-10's on my Wilwood kit that I hope are going on this weekend. They have a new(er) Blue pad they promote as a track pad.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
StopTech for the win in my opinion!
Agreed! But their marketing and contribution to forums with sales/marketing/technical support seems to have dwindled quite a bit over the years. And no 13.1" two-piece ST rotors. I mean, really WTF!? :p Now it's just a quiet force, slowly being lost to other more visible knock-off brands.

Not to mention the horrible experience I've had and hundreds of others with the street performance pad fiasco. It was supposed to be the end all street pad, and it fell really flat on true streetability.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bp10 pads are street only and do not keep up with track temps btw.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bp10 pads are street only and do not keep up with track temps btw.
Agreed...but I won't be doing any track time at all in the near future. And I I know enough to know running high performance/track pads on the street is a waste and even hurts performance. But like I said, I'm not even going to use the BP10's...i have a set of EBC Reds I'm going to start with.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah I tried the bp20 hoping they'd be better and in one track day and time trial they disappeared lol. Never really lost my pedal though which is surprising though my buddy with the same dp6 calipers and bp10 pads did. Anxious to hear your results!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anxious to hear your results!
You want to hear my results with the Wilwood brakes and EBC Red pads. Yea, I'll post it all up when done, but it'll be street results so shouldn't be anything cosmic.

How were the BP10 pads overall; on the street, dust, etc? Nothing drove me away from the BP10's that come with the kit, I just wanted to try the EBCs since I'm a fan.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From EBC...

Hi Jon,

The mk3 Focus ST is a vehicle high up on our priority list so I will schedule development for this vehicle early on in the program. In around 3 months this kit should be available for purchase.

Correct me if I’m wrong Jon but I think all mk3 ST’s come with 18” wheels as standard? We would therefore develop a 355x32mm kit for this vehicle using our Apollo-4 caliper, this kit would retail at £1,649 inclusive of VAT.

Due to the significant increase in both diameter and thickness over OE, along with the fact all EBC 2-piece discs are floating and use directionally curved cooling vanes, it would not be necessary to opt for the forthcoming 6-pot caliper unless the vehicle was significantly tuned and run on track regularly. The only difference between the 4-piston and the 6-piston caliper is an increase of aprox 20% in pad area, which would only become a factor if temperatures were consistently above 500C.

I will contact you as soon as we have the kit available Jon and in the meantime if you have any other questions I am more than happy to answer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts