Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my best friends offered me to tag along on a 14 day trip out to Utah and back. He suckered me in on a dualsport. A 1990 XT225, which is super tiny and underpowered. We craigslisted it in Kansas iirc, rode it in colorado, sold it. Then bought this bad boy in Moab Utah.

1986 Honda XR600r street titled. My buddy has a 86' XL600, and we both share 86 as our birth year, so it's all sorts of nostalgia at this point.

So many plans.

I have to sort out auxillary lighting.
On board tool kit
Wire up turn signals
Adjust front shock dampening
Re-jet carbs for SEPA
Extend kick stand
Phone holder
New instrument cluster
some custom bits
Rear disc conversion
Sort out brake light switch
Hand guards.

Bike was clean and well maintained. A nice torquey thumper to haul my large self up and over things.
I have ridden street bikes, but never hit the dirt scene, my first time off road was climbing mountains in colorado, then in the deserts of Moab, lmao. We even hit Swing arm city in Cainesville Utah. Which was insane...

Being 30, and almost die-ing a few times already, my sense of mortality really woke up on some of these runs, rock climbs along cliff edges, hidden trenches, downhills into jagged rocks. Downhill scares the **** outta me, like the super steep long hill descents where you can't brake and decelling in gear is pretty useless, just hold on and hope your front end doesn't slide out or get hung up. I got thrown a few times, and wrecked out a few. So my concerns were valid. Luckily I didn't destroy myself too bad, and the bike held up as expected. Lol.

Swing arm city is just insane. So many hill climbs, and jumps, and ridge trails. Just so much to ride. I was pretty gun shy on most of this stuff. Regardless I had a blast climbing some hills and such. No jumps, not for me, not in a t-shirt and sneakers with a craigslisted helmet on. Riding a bike I had only owned for 24 hours.

·
Super Moderator
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Blew up a tire, had to ride back like 12 miles on it. So I got to change my first dirt bike tire. Install was smooth, and I didn't pinch the tube, thankfully.

Luckily I got hooked up with a free used 17" tire, industry standard is 18" these days, so finding a 17" was a stroke of luck. I would have been dead in the water without it.

I also snapped the clutch lever off, that was a fun ride back to town. Thankfully we got sorted out at a sweet Dirtbike shop.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Man, that sounds like a blast!

Sure wish I could see the pics. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I kept refreshing then finally gave up and scrolled down and saw I'm not the only one. Hopefully they get it fixed so we can check this thing out!!

·
Super Moderator
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
517 Posts
freaking awesome dude. I picked up this beauty this year... In the spring.. 1995 XR250R. Guy that had it bought it new as a teenager.. along w/ an xr125 2 smoke. He hardly EVER rode this bike, and the engine has never been cracked up for anything. Original everything except tires and brakes. I wanted an older reliable bike that wouldn't let me down. Got the title. and it's been the best bike I've ever had.... Yea maybe it doesn't have the power of these new liquid cooled bikes and stuff.. but i'm not racer.. I'm a weekend warrior who just likes to go fast on 2 wheels and this freaking does it with the most reliability ever. Not a speck of rust. I am totally in love and I wish like hell I could ever get out to somewhere like where you were to ride some stuff like that. Sounds totally amazing and I'm jelly!!

EDIT: Forgot the pic. LOL here it is!

xr250r.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
freaking awesome dude. I picked up this beauty this year... In the spring.. 1995 XR250R. Guy that had it bought it new as a teenager.. along w/ an xr125 2 smoke. He hardly EVER rode this bike, and the engine has never been cracked up for anything. Original everything except tires and brakes. I wanted an older reliable bike that wouldn't let me down. Got the title. and it's been the best bike I've ever had.... Yea maybe it doesn't have the power of these new liquid cooled bikes and stuff.. but i'm not racer.. I'm a weekend warrior who just likes to go fast on 2 wheels and this freaking does it with the most reliability ever. Not a speck of rust. I am totally in love and I wish like hell I could ever get out to somewhere like where you were to ride some stuff like that. Sounds totally amazing and I'm jelly!!

EDIT: Forgot the pic. LOL here it is!

View attachment 179154
Nice bike!! From the original owner, thats a huge plus. I like older bikes, but the new KTM 500ex's are drawing my attention.

I don't want to drop a bunch of coin on something I will probably destroy, lol. So I will stick with my classic. For now.

It was definitely some cool terrain, I just wish I had actual offroad experience, so I could have really explored it. I'm still learning, which is put on the back burner until spring at this point.

Ive had this 1974 GS 550 Suzuki (aftermarket headers and tail pipe) since I was 16. Been rebuilding for awhile.
Never owned a dirt bike, but its something i've always wanted to try since i was a kid.
Cool GS! My buddy has gone through entirely too many bikes, and holds onto his mint 70' KZ1000 still. I like the old school. Such simplicity, and cool factor.

Dirt is such a different animal. It feels so awkward compared to street. Everything is loose, I find it hard to trust my tires, you literally have to be on guard for everything. Reading the terrain as you go can be tough. Once you set a path, and commit to it, it can get pretty gnarly. I wound up in a 3ft deep by 2 foot wide trench at one point, blended right in and I was trying to scan ahead, somehow I bottomed out the front, then pogo-ed out of it. I'm 6'4 280lbs, on a XR600r, so thats a whole lot of forces at work to get me and the bike out of a trench, lol. It gets pretty crazy.

I find myself looking at older street bikes now. Last time I rode was about 6 years ago, got cut off perpendicularly by a 18 wheeler with a low-boy trailer, I just slowed down enough to clear the back of it, then tumbled approx 30 ft. Blew open my knee and some other stuff. Havn't ridden since. So getting back on a bike for the first time in 6 years, on dirt, was a super odd feeling. I'm getting hooked again though. It doesnt take much rofl!

·
Super Moderator
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
IT"S SPRING TIME!!!!

That means the XR600r Needs some love.

Gotta strip here down and get to dem dual Keihins!!

After some struggling, the carbs were wrestled down and out the left side.

The bike has hard starting, and I'm assuming it was jetted for high altitude. It ran great in Moab, but **** around here. Im at like 40 feet above sea level, compared to the like 5k over there, lol.

So My buddy and I crack into the carbs to investigate wtf is up.

Right off the bat the carb bowl gaskets had RTV on them, so some clown was all up in them.

In this dual carb set-up, one carb handles the choke and idle functions, the other carb just adds more fuel under all other off idle conditions. The primary carb (choke and idle) has a specific carb bowl for the choke circuit.

As my buddy opens his mouth to say that the carb bowls can't be interchanged, in fact they were!!!

THis whole time I have not had a functional choke circuit, lol!! SO that's a huge discovery.

One of my friends custom mods is taking a pin drill, and opening the choke jet up a size or two. So I let him go for it. I have a multi position choke, so i can fine tune between it anyway.

We took a look at the jets. Mains were 118 and the slow jet was a 42. Which is jetted for high altitude. Factory calls for 122 and a 45 slow. So i just ordered some 122's, some 125's, and a 45 slow.

A new NGK plug, the honda OEM service manual. I love OEM manuals. They rule!!

Also a new twist throttle tube, mine got a bit wrecked.

So once the jets come in, she is going back together. I have a feeling she will be running like a champ!!

THings left to do...

CHange sprocket ratio for better highway speed.
Sort out my stator, either high output A'c stator or a DC stator swap. The AC stator will require me to get a rectifier for my LED lights, the dc would be more plug and play.
Wire up the turn signals and brake lights.
New handlebars
New grips
Trail Tech Voyager GPS instrument cluster, possibly with badass aluminum mount
Maybe a rear disc brake conversion.
Maybe switch the rear rim to an 18" for ease of finding tires.

Thats about it for now. I am very excited to square this away.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
IT"S SPRING TIME!!!!

That means the XR600r Needs some love.

Gotta strip here down and get to dem dual Keihins!!

After some struggling, the carbs were wrestled down and out the left side.

The bike has hard starting, and I'm assuming it was jetted for high altitude. It ran great in Moab, but **** around here. Im at like 40 feet above sea level, compared to the like 5k over there, lol.

So My buddy and I crack into the carbs to investigate wtf is up.

Right off the bat the carb bowl gaskets had RTV on them, so some clown was all up in them.

In this dual carb set-up, one carb handles the choke and idle functions, the other carb just adds more fuel under all other off idle conditions. The primary carb (choke and idle) has a specific carb bowl for the choke circuit.

As my buddy opens his mouth to say that the carb bowls can't be interchanged, in fact they were!!!

THis whole time I have not had a functional choke circuit, lol!! SO that's a huge discovery.

One of my friends custom mods is taking a pin drill, and opening the choke jet up a size or two. So I let him go for it. I have a multi position choke, so i can fine tune between it anyway.

We took a look at the jets. Mains were 118 and the slow jet was a 42. Which is jetted for high altitude. Factory calls for 122 and a 45 slow. So i just ordered some 122's, some 125's, and a 45 slow.

A new NGK plug, the honda OEM service manual. I love OEM manuals. They rule!!

Also a new twist throttle tube, mine got a bit wrecked.

So once the jets come in, she is going back together. I have a feeling she will be running like a champ!!

THings left to do...

CHange sprocket ratio for better highway speed.
Sort out my stator, either high output A'c stator or a DC stator swap. The AC stator will require me to get a rectifier for my LED lights, the dc would be more plug and play.
Wire up the turn signals and brake lights.
New handlebars
New grips
Trail Tech Voyager GPS instrument cluster, possibly with badass aluminum mount
Maybe a rear disc brake conversion.
Maybe switch the rear rim to an 18" for ease of finding tires.

Thats about it for now. I am very excited to square this away.
Have fun with the stator lol those things are the biggest pain in my ass in my GSXR 600. I may just have to sub to this because I'm quite interested and it's a bike so that has something to do with it. Nice man!

·
Super Moderator
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, I have pics, will upload them later.

Re-jetted the carbs, got the bike back together.

I twisted the **** out of my ankle drunk wrestling that night, so no road data yet, but my buddy is pretty confident in it. He's a carb'ed motorcycle champion. Serious tech across all automotive fields at this point. One of my lifelong best friends, so I'd know if he was bull****ting, lol.

Just purchased a bunch of parts, none of which were previously mentioned, lol. Just a bunch of "XR's only" stuff.

OEM service manual for Honda XR600r, is printed in USA, booyah!!

I'm studying like I study the ST. Very thorough. I forgot how simple bikes are, lol. Such a change of pace for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
Alright, I have pics, will upload them later.

Re-jetted the carbs, got the bike back together.

I twisted the **** out of my ankle drunk wrestling that night, so no road data yet, but my buddy is pretty confident in it. He's a carb'ed motorcycle champion. Serious tech across all automotive fields at this point. One of my lifelong best friends, so I'd know if he was bull****ting, lol.

Just purchased a bunch of parts, none of which were previously mentioned, lol. Just a bunch of "XR's only" stuff.

OEM service manual for Honda XR600r, is printed in USA, booyah!!

I'm studying like I study the ST. Very thorough. I forgot how simple bikes are, lol. Such a change of pace for me.
No stupid sensors or extra pieces to remove or remember and stuff. It's nice. If I want to strip all the fairings off my GSXR it takes 2 tools and 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
F yeah. Both my four wheelers have dual carbs as well. I know the struggle haha.

Is there a thread for the ice cream van?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
F yeah. Both my four wheelers have dual carbs as well. I know the struggle haha.

Is there a thread for the ice cream van?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Not yet, when I start doing some good stuff I may. 5" lift, front and rear Mfactory LSD's, 5.7 vortec swap, some other goodies on the table.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts