Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so about a year ago I made a program that allows the user to put in specs of their car in order to get the best possible wheel and tire setup. The program takes into account:
1) The camber profile of the suspension
2) Camber specs
3) Fender location
4) Fender mods like rolling/pulling and widebody panels
5) Lowering the car statically or with bags
6) Exact tire specs as not every 235/40 R18 fits the same (works with all tire sizes, just making a point)
7) Wheel specs including the thickness from the bead surface of the wheel to the face of the wheel as no wheel that is rated at say 8 inches, is actually 8 inches wide it will be almost 9 from face to face.

The only downside to the original program was it was made in MATLAB, which can't export projects to executables, and requires the user to pay for a licence to just have the coding IDE to run the program. This made all of my work useless in helping the community, until now.

Original_Wheel_Tire_Calculator.png

I have now begun porting it over to java, using an IDE called processing, which is a great graphical IDE. It allows me to easily setup a display of what I want, and is more powerful than matlab, which allows me to make the program cleaner and more easily expandable. I am not that far, but I have gotten to a point where the interface is being worked out to make it user friendly, and then I will port over the main part of the program that actually does the calculations and drawing of the wheel setup.

As of this moment I need help from the community, I have some crude measurements of the rear suspension in order to estimate the camber change with compression. If anyone is able to get me actual values for camber with compression I would be greatful. How I want to data is as follow:

Suspension Travel (in.):
Camber angle (Deg.):
-2 in
-1.5 in
-1 in
-0.5 in
Stock ride height
0.5 in
1 in
1.5 in
2 in
2.5 in
3 in
3.5 in
4 in
4.5 in

You get the point, I want values every half inch, until full compression is obtained. I need this for front and rear to allow each wheel to be fit perfectly. As of now my numbers are from me measuring what I was able to for the rear, modeling it in solid works and forcing displacements to see the angles, which gets close but not sure how realistic the results were. Plus I can't measure the front in the same way as there is less room to get up in the front to measure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would like to have the results by the end of next week if at all possible, if you are able to get the data, let me know if you can't meet that deadline but will be able to do it in the next 2 weeks. I need to finish this by January 18 or I will be at a standstill for a while as I won't have time due to the semester starting on the 19th. In the meantime I will be making the interface and the calculations part, and use the dummy values I have to get me by.

Happy Holidays!!!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I am currently making a tire data "database", by using all the data available from tirerack I am able to put it in an excel sheet and have the import facts about every single tire size for a given tire model, ie. I just copied over the data for the Bridgestone Potenza S0-4 Pole Position, so the user can choose that tire and then use a dropdown menu to see the available sizes and then apply that to the car.

What I am doing makes it so the user is less involved with inputting the data, which takes away some of the confusion of the last one I made, which to be honest was horrible to explain to people, only I knew how to use it well as I made it obviously. ;P

At some point I will do a short video series talking out how to use the program, and how it works. That will be at the end of the project though, so first I need help with camber data.

Also if anyone has another car they would like to submit data for and would be willing to help me with the other data I use from a car, hit me up and I can tell you exactly what I need. I want this to help more than just us ST guys, but atm this is my only car, and therefore I don't have any other cars to get data from.

If you have any features that are not explained here, or you don't see in the screen shot in the above post, comment what it is and try to best explain the feature in a nice Feature list.

Example:
Tire stretching (already implemented in original version):
1) Uses real tire data and allows the user to select which they are using
2) accounts for sidewall movement when stretching, so tire at the bead gets wider
3) Maybe limit the amount of stretch a tire can do, the max rim width it can mount to, but wider wheels can still mount it, but will have a space with empty wheel.

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thing that would be nice, Can people post a small list of tires they believe should be added to the program data? I am putting tires I have looked at buying, or have purchased for my car before. So far the list is:
1) eagle f1 asymmetric 2
2) potenza RE760 sport
3) pilot super sport
4) extremecontact DW
5) potenza S0-4 pole position

Please copy paste the list and add your contribution and I will make sure to go grab the data. If it isn't listed on tirerack, please try and send me a link to a website that lists all the sizes of that specific tire, along with things like tread width, section width, measured rim width, rim width range, etc.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: I have finished implementing the tire database structure, just need to figure out the tires people want to see in the program, and add those files.

I am about to start the wheel configuration part, which allows the user to enter the data they want to use, and hopefully be able to save it to a file and be able to use it in the future.

The next step after that is either implementing a way for users to enter the data for their car through the program, and save it so it will be available in the future, or begin the implementation of the calculations and displaying of the fitment for the wheels and tires. The hardest part of the user car data entry part would be making it understandable to most people, which means making pictures and figuring out how to best implement them into the entry window, either with a text rollover that displays the image (not sure if that is possible with the GUI library I am using) or making a window pop up to show the image when the user clicks the item in question. Will figure that out at some point.

If anyone is interested in making pictures or helping in anyway please let me know, I have seen a lot of people are viewing this thread but not a single person has said anything. If no one has any interest in this project, I will probably just quite as it will be useless if there is no end user for the product. This is a forum, a place to interact, so please INTERACT.

**END RANT**

Thank you for your time, :p. Will probably update again later this week depending on how the implementations go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think this is excellent work. I think adding some of the hot autocross/track tires would be nice. I've add some of those tires to your list
1) eagle f1 asymmetric 2
2) potenza RE760 sport
3) pilot super sport
4) extremecontact DW
6) Bridgestone RE71R
7) BF goodwich Rival S
8) Hankook RS3
9) Dunlop Direzza ZII Start Specs

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this is excellent work. I think adding some of the hot autocross/track tires would be nice. I've add some of those tires to your list
1) eagle f1 asymmetric 2
2) potenza RE760 sport
3) pilot super sport
4) extremecontact DW
6) Bridgestone RE71R
7) BF goodwich Rival S
8) Hankook RS3
9) Dunlop Direzza ZII Start Specs
Didn't even think about doing autocross/track tires. Thanks for the suggestions!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay quick update....haven't done much of anything that will be seen. I did make a video going over how it worked, but the audio got really screwed up and I really didn't feel like redoing it until more is done. I do plan on doing a mini series about it during the final stages that shows functionality, and how to use it.

I am just trying to enjoy the last Christmas break I have before I graduate college...So I will be working on this during the spring semester as well because I want this to be done, and I don't think I am that far from actual completion, as it is only copy, paste, translate and check functionality is intact.

Also a quick note that was said in the aforementioned video, @HDubs I wasn't able to add the tires you mentioned as the data I needed wasn't available for those tires with the sources I currently know. I would have to contact the manufacturers themselves to get the data and that is generally very slow, if not impossible, to get a reply.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@BlindAssassin111 What info did you need for the tires?
I need things like section width, tread width, measured rim width, rim width range, as well as the given profile(but that is really easy to get obviously). I use these to construct a tire that actually represents the shape of the tire and the rim width range gives me the ability to stretch to the limits of the tire, it can be stretched more technically but for now I will most likely limit the movement until I figure out another way to do it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I need things like section width, tread width, measured rim width, rim width range, as well as the given profile(but that is really easy to get obviously). I use these to construct a tire that actually represents the shape of the tire and the rim width range gives me the ability to stretch to the limits of the tire, it can be stretched more technically but for now I will most likely limit the movement until I figure out another way to do it.
I feel like I've seen this information before on some of these tires. Like me do some digging ans see what I find

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I have worked a bit on converting some stuff over, but progress is slower due to the fact classes have started. I have a vision for the end goal and I don't know how long it will take, I am deciding between just coping and porting or actually just redoing all of it as I don't know which will take less time. But I will hopefully finish soonish, I am programming a gear indicator for a formula car atm and thinking of doing stuff to my car, which will most likely take priority. So please be patient, I doubt many are awaiting the completion of this so :crazy:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: So I have converted most of the calculations for current wheels and tires over to the new program(still need to do new wheels and tires, which won't take but an hour or less), found out the hardest part will be displaying the wheel and tire visuals, as the program wants to move everything, including buttons, with things like translations and rotations, so I have to figure out a more complex way of doing stuff...

Sorry for the delay in release of this, the first program took me a couple months of and on, and I wish I had originally done the program in java...that way I would have been done a year ago. But that was a dumb mistake on my part. I hope to finish by the end of the month if possible.

Still need the camber values I asked about in December though....as my values are definitely off, by how much? I don't know. Without that this program will be worth less than I would like, I want people to be more confident in the results shown, rather than have to doubt, and heavily correct them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts