Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed wider tires on 18x8 wheel? If so what size? Can a 245 or 255 be installed on a 18x8 wheel without a problem? Please post, need ur help. Thanks

·
Registered
768 Posts
255 isn't recommended by the tire manufactures for an 18X wheel. You get sidewall pinch. 245 is fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Agreed...no wider than 245 on a 8" wheel. Any wider and it just starts rolling the sidewall in. Doesn't look good IMO. Plus, a tire too wide for the wheel has alot more sidewall flex in turns and curves. Flex generates heat. Will not handle as good.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
The only issue with 245/40r18 is occasional rubbing when at full wheel lock and hitting bumps hard. Still highly recommended regardless of this fact. If you're worried about it roll your fenders and problem avoided.

I too upgraded to 245/40r18. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
10,214 Posts
Not all tires are created equal so the answer to your question is dependent on the manufacturer. Some manufacturer's tires run wider or narrower than advertised and can vary considerably. Check the actual mounted width which should be available from the seller. A bad example would be WalMart's (a bad place to buy tires in my opinion) website which gives the actual width of the tires they sell in inches. I was quite surprised to see how much they vary by manufacturer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 in a 245/40R18 on my OEM wheels right now and IMO it's how the car should've come stock, looks 100x better. It still handles about the same and rides a little better too, to me at least. Don't have pictures sadly because my new wheels just came in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts